IGNORED

Rebuttal to 18 Things Females Seem Not to Understand

16strong

guerrillafem.com/2014/04/female-privilege-showing-open-letter-mark-saunders/

I searched the site and didn't see this being discussed. A feminist discusses a decidedly misogynist list of "female privileges." The original article by Mark Saunders is linked to in the article above. It's a couple of months old, but well worth discussing, I think.

MRAs do not seem to understand how the patriarchy hurts them. Yes, there are some ways that males get a raw deal in society but that is not caused by feminism but by the fact that the patriarchy is unfair to men also

Unfair custody rulings that favor women in divorces derive from the gender essentialist notion that women are natural care-givers, and the commands that men “man up†stem from patriarchal gender socialization, two things feminists have been militating against since time immemorial.

She is correct and it surprises me that MRAs would think that the problem was with feminism and not the cultural notion of what is male/female that is based on(again) patriarchy.

6. Women are represented positively in the media! Right! That explains this. Women only hold 3% of clout positions in telecommunications, entertainment, publishing, and advertising, but at least we got that female privilege, amirite, ladiez?

Most writers in Hollywood are male. Men are depicted as stupid but women are depicted as harpies who constantly berate and emasculate their male partners. This type of stereotype is based on male writer's dislike of women, I think. Whatever the cause, it is negative toward both sexes and should earn condemnation for lazy writing

• 2 weeks later...
MRAs do not seem to understand how the patriarchy hurts them. Yes, there are some ways that males get a raw deal in society but that is not caused by feminism but by the fact that the patriarchy is unfair to men also

She is correct and it surprises me that MRAs would think that the problem was with feminism and not the cultural notion of what is male/female that is based on(again) patriarchy.

Most writers in Hollywood are male. Men are depicted as stupid but women are depicted as harpies who constantly berate and emasculate their male partners. This type of stereotype is based on male writer's dislike of women, I think. Whatever the cause, it is negative toward both sexes and should earn condemnation for lazy writing

If a vast majority of writers in Hollywood are male, then they have only themselves to blame for how men are portrayed in the media. How is that the fault of feminism? I agree that both men and women are stereotyped in Hollywood, but that seems to be due to the actions of men, not women. Perhaps the MRA types need to focus less on the opposite gender and more on their own.

Archived