IGNORED

TN Woman attaches baby to the train of her wedding gown.

Tootsie McSassafrass

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going off topic for a quick second...

How do you have 2 different avatars, Mela? When you post, it's Tina Belcher. When your post is quoted, it's Louise. Not that I don't appreciate duelin' Belchers, just wondering how that happened. Maybe it's just me and my not so smart phone.

Carry on.

Honestly, I have no idea. I changed my avatar a few weeks ago from Louise to Tina. I hadn't noticed it doing anything different. Does it do that for anybody else?

While I agree it looks really silly and distracting, I don't really see that it's dangerous. She said the baby was secured somehow and the in case of fire thing would mean no one should ever put their baby on the floor - which means they would never learn to walk or crawl..

Since the baby was attached to the train, it may have been difficult to pick her up in an emergency. A baby playing or crawling on the floor is not physically attached to the floor. I also think it could be dangerous to drag a baby that young. A wedding dress train is not thick or padded and if they left her there for the ceremony, mom likely turned directions more than once--to face the groom, perhaps light a unity candle, etc...--which would be awkward and possibly dangerous to baby.

Everyone will have to excuse me for not believing the mother when she says the baby was secure. This is the same person that believes "the blood" protects them from anything bad happening and thinks attaching an infant to her the train of her dress and dragging the kid around is a fabulous idea. Clearly she has it together. :?

Maybe she was inspired by Slurpee mom

get-a-slurpee-248x300.jpg

and Skeeball mom

XTXo0vNHex.jpg

:roll:

I actually saw with my own eyes a woman at a buffet with a young child and a baby that set the baby on the buffet floor while fixing plates just last week. I'm not sure what she could have done instead since she needed both hands to fix the two plates for her and the child. However perhaps if she didn't have stroller, infant car seat or baby carrier then maybe a buffet wasn't the way to go that night. I was really surprised too because it wasn't the best maintained buffet and the floor grossed me out just walking on it. Very dirty with lots of dropped food.

This is way I wore my baby...I could get food at the Golden Corral, grab a slurpee and kick ass at skeeball, all without putting the baby on the floor. Heck, I even wore her to a wedding in a silk wrap!

I agree that this was such a ridiculous, attention-seeking thing to do but frankly, I'm struggling to see what the big deal is. I get that technically it is dangerous, or whatever, but aside from being stupid, what's the harm? The kid was on a fluffy dress & surrounded by adults within arm's grasp so it's not like she was walking down the freeway or dancing circles on a dancefloor. Maybe I'm noticing it more because my hometown is only an hour away from Ripley, TN but this story seems to be popping up on every other post on FB & I wish the news would just stop feeding into the attention-seeking & let it die.

Well, Proverbs 22:6 DOES say:

TRAIN up a child in the way he should go..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jesus Insurance only covers parents who at least make an effort to keep their kids safe. :P

In all seriousness, what does "covered by Jesus" even mean?

Since the baby was attached to the train, it may have been difficult to pick her up in an emergency. A baby playing or crawling on the floor is not physically attached to the floor. I also think it could be dangerous to drag a baby that young. A wedding dress train is not thick or padded and if they left her there for the ceremony, mom likely turned directions more than once--to face the groom, perhaps light a unity candle, etc...--which would be awkward and possibly dangerous to baby.

Not to mention that one crack in the floor, misjudging distance from a pew or something else, or one good bump in the wrong way and that child could have permanent brain or spinal damage.

I always heard this expression as 'covered by the blood of Jesus' (which makes for a delightful mental picture), but it essentially means that because they believe in Jesus so much, He won't let anything negative happen.

'I'll just use my hair dryer while I sit in this bathtub of water. What can go wrong? I'm covered by Jesus!'

If the baby had been older than 2 months I could maybe not as it as a big deal... But 2 month olds? Aren't they still really fragile?

Not to mention that one crack in the floor, misjudging distance from a pew or something else, or one good bump in the wrong way and that child could have permanent brain or spinal damage.

Or tripping on her train and falling on top of the baby. It wouldn't be the first time that a bride fell.

I agree that this was such a ridiculous, attention-seeking thing to do but frankly, I'm struggling to see what the big deal is. I get that technically it is dangerous, or whatever, but aside from being stupid, what's the harm? The kid was on a fluffy dress & surrounded by adults within arm's grasp so it's not like she was walking down the freeway or dancing circles on a dancefloor. Maybe I'm noticing it more because my hometown is only an hour away from Ripley, TN but this story seems to be popping up on every other post on FB & I wish the news would just stop feeding into the attention-seeking & let it die.

Well, you did say that it was technically dangerous, so there is that potential harm. And I would have to disagree that it was on a fluffy dress. That material is very uncomfortable for most adults. It can be rather rough with that type of design. I can imagine it would not be very comfortable for an infant with sensitive skin.

I just find this whole story so bizarre. Having her baby secured on the train of her dress is flat out weird and is very disrespectful to the child. That is a real human that is being lugged around on the back of her dress, not some decorative detail to be sewn in and secured to the back of a wedding gown. She needs to have more respect for her child and not use it as a prop.

WTF? :pink-shock: :cray-cray:

Seriously. Quite apart from any safety consideration, that is *not* a cute or attractive way to show off your very tiny baby at your wedding. Strap your baby to your back (or front or use a sling) if you don't want Grandma holding it and/or want to use it as an accessory (since she was probably doing this for attention). Even using yourself as the "horse" for a little wagon as your dress train would look less insane. It just looks like she hasn't noticed a random baby fell asleep on her dress.

I agree that this is tacky, ridiculous, stupid, and all of that, but I also think it is so not CPS worthy.

"Hello, cps, a woman pulled her baby for 20 ft. on the back of her fluffy dress. No, there were no injuries. The baby was content the entire time." Lol

I would hate to see manpower taken away from a real abuse case because of a long list of "what if"s around a tacky, stupid wedding idea.

I actually saw with my own eyes a woman at a buffet with a young child and a baby that set the baby on the buffet floor while fixing plates just last week. I'm not sure what she could have done instead since she needed both hands to fix the two plates for her and the child. However perhaps if she didn't have stroller, infant car seat or baby carrier then maybe a buffet wasn't the way to go that night. I was really surprised too because it wasn't the best maintained buffet and the floor grossed me out just walking on it. Very dirty with lots of dropped food.

When my little one was small (too big for the infant carrier but too small or a booster) - there were many times when we went out to eat and the restaurant didn't have a high chair or the ones they did have were all in use. Even so - I can't imagine putting my child on the floor.

respect for her child and not use it as a prop

That's it exactly. She's selfish and thinking of what she wants without respect for the baby as a person with needs and deserving of respect and proper treatment. The child is something to be used by the mother for her wishes and treated as an accessory.

Well, Proverbs 22:6 DOES say:

TRAIN up a child in the way he should go..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm glad I'm not the only Corny humored one! ;)

Besides the fact that it looks like zero aesthetic effort was involved--I mean the baby looks like someone laid her on the train and forgot that she was there, and they started off down the aisle, the safety implications are mind-boggling. So they tied her in? OK, she's two months old, they're not that good at lifting their head at two months old, what if her face got bogged down in that frothy train and she couldn't move it and no one noticed because they were paying attention to the bride, she could suffocate. And if the seamstress put in the same kind of securing mechanism my seamstress put so we could bustle it, it won't hold that well. And, what if the train started swinging around? Mine went into a row and got stepped on. I'm not saying someone would step on the baby, but she could bop her head on a pew before anyone could react.

How do people have kids and not neurotically worry about them whne they do dumb things like this. Why not save the train kid look for photos?

I agree that this is tacky, ridiculous, stupid, and all of that, but I also think it is so not CPS worthy.

"Hello, cps, a woman pulled her baby for 20 ft. on the back of her fluffy dress. No, there were no injuries. The baby was content the entire time." Lol

I would hate to see manpower taken away from a real abuse case because of a long list of "what if"s around a tacky, stupid wedding idea.

CPS intervention could be as simple as requiring the parents to complete a workshop on child development to ensure that they understand how to keep a young infant physically safe. It does not have to be arrest, removal from the home, etc...If they think this is okay, they may have other unsafe practices in the home.

CPS here intervenes for large or dark bruises at times. Usually it involves an interview and taking some parenting classes. If they don't get any more reports about the family that's the end of it. It's the parents who get nasty and rebellious over anyone questioning their parenting who then get enmeshed in the system.

Sorry, still seeing the risk of any sort of danger as highly, highly remote. Does it look stupid? Yes. Is there a one in a million chance something could go wrong and the baby could, possibly, have some sort of injury? Maybe. Do I think CPS should be called anytime there is the slightest, remotest chance of anything possibly dangerous ever happening? Hell no.

Sorry, still seeing the risk of any sort of danger as highly, highly remote. Does it look stupid? Yes. Is there a one in a million chance something could go wrong and the baby could, possibly, have some sort of injury? Maybe. Do I think CPS should be called anytime there is the slightest, remotest chance of anything possibly dangerous ever happening? Hell no.

I highly doubt anything will come of this and I doubt that it even should, but that being said there is more than a tiny, remote chance of something going wrong when you're attaching your 2 month old to something you're dragging behind you on the floor like that, that doesn't look like it was well designed to hold a baby and in fact makes her look pretty awkward and potentially uncomfortable from the angle of the photos. Sure there are lots of people there etc, but it was an incredibly stupid thing to do with a brand new baby, even something mild could cause an issue and if nothing else mean it cries more than it might in a wagon or similar.

CPS here intervenes for large or dark bruises at times. Usually it involves an interview and taking some parenting classes. If they don't get any more reports about the family that's the end of it. It's the parents who get nasty and rebellious over anyone questioning their parenting who then get enmeshed in the system.

Which is exactly why my poor cousins are falling through the cracks.

Archived