IGNORED

Another one bites the dust- Daniel Lockwood MERGE

fundiefan

Kind of ironic that having too many children to feed and the inability to escape a poor domestic situation may just be around the corner for them, hmmm?

Sometimes, you reap what you sow.

As always, the children are the victims here.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's been brought up before, but I want to bring it up again: the Lockwoods weren't just converting Catholics. They were also trying to undo the social programs and education provided by the Mexican government to combat poverty and other social ills because Jesus.

The Mexican Government was trying to promote family planning as a way to combat poverty. The Lockwoods were telling people to not worry about how they were going to feed their children and just keep having babies. Because Jesus.

The Mexican Government was trying to empower women, educate them about domestic abuse, and make sure they knew they had rights and support to provide for their own families and the right to leave any man who was dragging them down. The Lockwoods told women to stay in questionably abusive relationships and potentially let their children starve rather than going to work. Because Jesus.

The Lockwoods were not helping anyone. They did not set up any social services. They set up a Church and preached a set of rules that contained many things shown to exacerbate, not alleviate, poverty. They used tricks like free food and Christmas boxes to lure people in. Their family set an unattainable example to their congregation. They may be nice people, they may have good hearts, but what they did in Mexico was deplorable.

Re: bolded. Given these things, one wonders if the local reps of the Mexican govt have had their eye on the Lockwoods for some time, looking for anything that might allow the govt to eject these self-righteous, interfering busybodies. If so, then whatever Daniel did may not be a big thing in and of itself but it was enough for the Mexican govt to force the mission sponsor (cmcmissions.org/) to remove the Lockwoods & send them back to the US.

Excellent comment, BTW, as is fundiefan's. They both express so well what I've found incredibly offensive about 99% or so of the so-called Christian missionary efforts.

Excellent points. Obviously, I'm a sucker for nice seeming people. Thanks for sharing this perspective, and I do agree with all of your points, as well as others who have posted similar views. I don't mind the wake-up call at all!

No problem! I actually forgot about the stuff they actually did until I went back through their blog. If history has shown us anything, it's that charm and a veneer of kindness/respectability can mask all manner of sins. It's very easy to forget what people promote or do when they just seem so nice.

This is from under the post about trusting god-who she seems to believe talks through men- with the number of your kids

The Lockwoods seem like pleasant people that doesn't mean that some of their views aren't offensive. They hold a lot of fundamentalist views with the exception that they aren't anti modern medicine. Although I feel bad for them, they aren't my pet fundies either. Hopefully, whatever Daniel did it was something that we wouldn't consider a betrayal of his wife, children or congregation.(Adultery, stealing etc) They might be likable but they are hurting a lot of people.

Nothing like sweeping generalizations (America has turned her back on God) and half-truths (America being founded on Biblical principles) and outright untruths (the church as a whole in America ... has turned away from the truth).

Lockwood parents seemed to have some major family support back north of the border. I hope when family help them out, it will be with some reasonable conditions attached.

Re: bolded. Given these things, one wonders if the local reps of the Mexican govt have had their eye on the Lockwoods for some time, looking for anything that might allow the govt to eject these self-righteous, interfering busybodies. If so, then whatever Daniel did may not be a big thing in and of itself but it was enough for the Mexican govt to force the mission sponsor (cmcmissions.org/) to remove the Lockwoods & send them back to the US.

Excellent comment, BTW, as is fundiefan's. They both express so well what I've found incredibly offensive about 99% or so of the so-called Christian missionary efforts.

That's plausible about them possibly being sent back because they were too aggressive in counteracting government anti-poverty and education efforts even if it's "soul winning" in their minds. Don't know how long they have been down there but there may have been enough complaints or reports of what they were preaching to attract govt attention.

Lockwood parents seemed to have some major family support back north of the border. I hope when family help them out, it will be with some reasonable conditions attached.

I hope so, too, for the sake of the children. If whatever Daniel did makes him unfit for ministry, what else can he do to support them? Just feeding them is expensive, let alone housing, clothing, etc.

It's been brought up before, but I want to bring it up again: the Lockwoods weren't just converting Catholics. They were also trying to undo the social programs and education provided by the Mexican government to combat poverty and other social ills because Jesus.

The Mexican Government was trying to promote family planning as a way to combat poverty. The Lockwoods were telling people to not worry about how they were going to feed their children and just keep having babies. Because Jesus.

The Mexican Government was trying to empower women, educate them about domestic abuse, and make sure they knew they had rights and support to provide for their own families and the right to leave any man who was dragging them down. The Lockwoods told women to stay in questionably abusive relationships and potentially let their children starve rather than going to work. Because Jesus.

The Lockwoods were not helping anyone. They did not set up any social services. They set up a Church and preached a set of rules that contained many things shown to exacerbate, not alleviate, poverty. They used tricks like free food and Christmas boxes to lure people in. Their family set an unattainable example to their congregation. They may be nice people, they may have good hearts, but what they did in Mexico was deplorable.

What I don't understand is that if you believe that this is a fallen world in need of redeeming why would you somehow believe that once you believe in Jesus all that the fallen world "can't touch this." Guess what, life sucks no matter what you believe. People you love are going to die, fall ill, disappoint and betray you. Your car is going to break down, your roof is going to need replacing. And guess what, if God gives you access to resources to handle those situations, maybe using those resources is what He wants, rather than passively waiting like a flower for rain. You're not a flower, you're a human, with a brain.

That's plausible about them possibly being sent back because they were too aggressive in counteracting government anti-poverty and education efforts even if it's "soul winning" in their minds. Don't know how long they have been down there but there may have been enough complaints or reports of what they were preaching to attract govt attention.

I think if this were the case, he would be lauded as a hero, or at least released honorably.

The way this is going down, his name and reputation have been sullied. He isn't likely to get Church or Missionary work again.

The most I can imagine the government being involved is that something possibly illegal went down, and the Mexican government agreed not to go after him or the mission in exchange for he and his family leaving the country right away.

Daniel said it's because of his moral failure. I don't think any government or organization had anything to do with it. He did something, got caught and is being held responsible for his actions. That's how life works. God can't protect you from consequences, as much as fundies would like to believe they are specially chosen and their lives are directly affected by their god.

It's none of my business what he did, although of course I'm curious or I wouldn't be commenting on it. But, I do think he owes his investors - the missionary organization that funded him and the people who funded the organization as well as him/his family personally - a full, complete and honest explanation. I also think he owes the citizens of the region of Mexico where he spent years selling his wares an explanation, and an apology. Instead of asking for prayers for himself/his family/his missions organization, he should be asking for prayers for those whose lives he fucked with then disppointed and left. How many of those people got all saved and nice with Jesus, were rewarded, and are now abandoned? Another pastor isn't the one who brought them to Jesus and that way of living.

Daniel screwed many, many people with his moral failure, whatever it may be, and the ones mentioned are only the most obvious.

These people don't see that, though. They can't. Their god is in a box and can't get out, so neither can they.

I have confessed my sin to my pastor and after prayer and fasting, my pastor and the deacon board at our sending church have decided to remove me from the ministry immediately.

It sounds as if he did something that he had to confess. If he had just stood up for his own beliefs, I don't believe that he would have called his deed a sin.

Besides starting a church and preaching, what kind of missionary work did the Lockwoods do?

I haven't looked at their entire blog so I might have missed something, but did they help these people in any way?

I see they gave out Christmas boxes once a year. Did they run any kind of food ministry? Orphanage? Shelter?

They appear to urge the women to ignore anyone else who might suggest or provide family planning advice or supplies, delcared that women shouldn't work outside the home, and that the evil others (who were offering the family planning info) were evil for discussing spousal abuse/control issues, and blatantly told people that they were limiting God /not trusting God by thinking women living in poverty should have fewer children OR get jobs.

From what I can tell, their ministry was taking Protestant Patriarchy to Deepest Darkest Roman Catholic "feminist" Mexico.

My Mexican Step Mother in Law HATES this kind of crap. She supports sending money, not mouths, to places that need it. Her friend supported (with a small amount of money each month for years and years) a girl in Bolivia, which allowed her to finish HS (Not common for anyone, much less girls in her community) They went down for her graduation, and they were so welcomed, because they had made a difference for the girl, her family and others. The girl is going on to further education and will likely help her silblings to better lives as well.

To me, this is more valuable to the world than xmas shoe boxes used as bait.

I think if this were the case, he would be lauded as a hero, or at least released honorably.

The way this is going down, his name and reputation have been sullied. He isn't likely to get Church or Missionary work again.

The most I can imagine the government being involved is that something possibly illegal went down, and the Mexican government agreed not to go after him or the mission in exchange for he and his family leaving the country right away.

^This. If it was a matter of the Mexican government kicking them out, there is no way in Hell-O Kitty they would not be maximizing the persecution angle. He did something seriously bad for the umbrella missionary organization to be so proactive as to force them to leave.

Just catching up to this. I tend to think that Daniel did something seriously ungodly, but not necessarily illegal, to have been dumped by his sending Church and given 3 months for the family to leave Mexico. He does need to give people who enabled supported them a better explanation. OTOH, the whole world (and FJ!) doesn't need the full story, much though I'm curious.

I feel bad for the children, and to a smaller extent for Jaynee. She always struck me as an exhausted dimwitted airhead under Daniel's control. They will have a hard time setting up back in the US and taking care of all those children even with family help.

I am glad for Mexico, however. I suppose his flock may miss the Christmas boxes but it is hard to see what else the Lockwoods contributed there.

As to the miracle money found in a field - that story was so fishy. I bet the kid nicked it from Mom's wallet, realised that it was really important, so he "found" it again. Seriously, Daniel and Jaynee are gullible. Even if the money was just lying around in a field, should the Lockwoods have kept it anyway? My missionary family would not have seen "found" money as a miracle from God and kept it. They would have assumed that someone else had lost it in the first place and taken it to the police! Rather immoral to keep it, IMO.

45 comments but no real info.

Jaynee, how are you and the children dealing with this crisis? Is there anything we can do for you besides pray? Please let us know how we can help. We love y'all!
etc., etc.

Their ministry website is locked down (blogger.com/blogin.g?blogspotURL=http://www.lockwoodsministry.com/) - invited readers only.

I wonder if he's in trouble for harrassment? One of Jaynee's blog posts mentioned an older woman whom they have repeatedly paid visits to that has 5 children (maybe they are her grandchildren -- hard to tell) and used to throw rocks at Daniel (or something like that) any time he'd visit. And this year, when they went to deliver Christmas boxes, she didn't, so she saw that as this woman's heart starting to soften. Maybe there are more than just that woman who really see their harrassment as unlawful and they finally did something about it?

I wonder if he's in trouble for harrassment? One of Jaynee's blog posts mentioned an older woman whom they have repeatedly paid visits to that has 5 children (maybe they are her grandchildren -- hard to tell) and used to throw rocks at Daniel (or something like that) any time he'd visit. And this year, when they went to deliver Christmas boxes, she didn't, so she saw that as this woman's heart starting to soften. Maybe there are more than just that woman who really see their harrassment as unlawful and they finally did something about it?

This was my thinking to my earlier post. They were getting too aggressive in their "soul winning" and some folks, like this woman, didn't care for it and the complaints and/or reports mounted. While that wouldn't count in Daniel's mind as "moral failure" and I agree that he might play the persecution card in that case and wouldn't be so hush-hush about what it really was, maybe something else was uncovered and used to get them out of there.

Finding some failing in someone and bringing it to light is a way to get rid of someone insufferable. You can't get ride of them because they are PITAs but you can find something else.

The son's blog is gone. Jaynee's other blog is gone too. They're starting to delete stuff.

Ugh. It's a theme with the fundies. Scrub the blog and it didn't happen!

I'm sure Daniel must be reading here and seeing all we're talking about.

I really want to know what he did. You can't write that blog post and then NOT tell people, especially the people who actually financially supported you.

Also does anyone else wonder what Zsu thinks of this? I can't wait until she comments about it. I hope she does at least. I'm assuming she won't until it comes out what actually happened.

What did Daniel do before going to Mexico? He's had to have had a job outside of the "ministry" at some point.

I really want to know what he did. You can't write that blog post and then NOT tell people, especially the people who actually financially supported you.

Also does anyone else wonder what Zsu thinks of this? I can't wait until she comments about it. I hope she does at least. I'm assuming she won't until it comes out what actually happened.

What did Daniel do before going to Mexico? He's had to have had a job outside of the "ministry" at some point.

He apparently worked for a grocery company but when they wanted to promote him he declined the promotion because it would require he work on Sundays. This was back when they probably had half as many kids as they do now. Jaynee has always said on the blog that they've had some lean times, but that God has always provided. So I guess they weren't worried that turning down a promotion might mean the end of that career there.

Oh, I know, maybe he can get a job with Chik Fil A! They're closed on Sundays, right?

I'm sure Zsu will find out from Jessica. Jessica was a Lockwoods follower.

Ha. You and I posted at the same time and said a lot of the same things. If you're a bitch, then I am too, because the Lockwoods make me sick.

Is there room for one more in the Bitch Corner?

I would love to know what he did cause if they r deleting stuff it really must have been bad.

I would like to know too! Scrubbing always piques the curiosity.

Archived