IGNORED

Another one bites the dust- Daniel Lockwood MERGE

fundiefan

Omg. I don't know the Lockwoods from their blog or FJ. I know them from my in-laws...since the Lockwoods are missionaries that they support financially and pray for. (I think my in-laws knew them personally before they moved to Mexico.) I can't wait to hear what my in-laws have to say about them! :?

I remember getting the impression that they were pushing out babies as fast as they could even though she had very unhealthy pregnancies. And that the children didn't get watched very well. I remember several stories of the kids pulling pots of boiling water off the stove and getting burned, and other accidents that shouldn't happen in a responsible home. :(

Edited for clarity.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boy, I never saw that one coming! I am in shock. Jaynee always seemed so loving, devoted and admiring of Daniel. What on earth did he do? They are from Redding, CA so I bet that is where they will go. Since he has been given three months to finish up in Mexico I am hoping that means he is no danger to anyone in his family or church.

Also, I recall Jaynee saying that Daniel is a Mexican citizen, as are several of the children because they were born there. Will they have any problem returning permanently to the US? The children ought to have dual citizenship, but I don't think Daniel still would. Don't adults have to renounce their US citizenship if they want to become a citizen of another country? (Not sure if Jaynee also became a citizen of Mexico.)

Boy, I never saw that one coming! I am in shock. Jaynee always seemed so loving, devoted and admiring of Daniel. What on earth did he do? They are from Redding, CA so I bet that is where they will go. Since he has been given three months to finish up in Mexico I am hoping that means he is no danger to anyone in his family or church.

Also, I recall Jaynee saying that Daniel is a Mexican citizen, as are several of the children because they were born there. Will they have any problem returning permanently to the US? The children ought to have dual citizenship, but I don't think Daniel still would. Don't adults have to renounce their US citizenship if they want to become a citizen of another country? (Not sure if Jaynee also became a citizen of Mexico.)

There are cases and countries to which dual citizenship is granted for adults. I'm not sure of the rules that govern them, but I had always thought Daniel was dual.

ETA: The Mexican born children may have the right to dual citizenship, however unless their parents registered their births with the US Embassy in Mexico or registered them when they visited the US, they may not currently be US Citizens and may need to apply. Their citizenship would be granted, for sure, but depending on their age, they may need to wait until the paperwork is processed to bring them in.

Re: bolded. I see your point. Perhaps a future moral failing would involve PP & a public bathroom where he was just trying to "reach the lost"... :whistle:

I wouldn't buy this except for his body language in the youtube video of him talking to the Border Patrol? The tilt of his head, the upper body movement. . .he is so clearly flirting with the officer, whether he was aware of it or not.

Wow, I did not see this one coming, either. I am heartbroken for Jaynee. As a previous poster said, she was always very upbeat when writing about her life (and not in an unrealistic way) -- always supportive of Daniel being gone a lot, always trying to remain happy even when all the kids had the stomach flu and her washer was broken, always a trouper.

And yes, he did come here around the time she had her miscarriage and hysterectomy. He was polite and likeable. I don't remember them asking for $$.

Jaynee has been a Maxwell follower for many years but I think mostly for the scheduling aspect of homeschooling and chores. Her kids are younger than the Maxwell's (I think the oldest is 17?), so time will tell if they will keep them all at home until they marry (and even then, forced to stay at the compound, should they end up with one).

As a side note, I'll bet Stevie Maxwell's head is about to implode. First, it was Dougie, the king of the homeschooling world, and then Gothard, where Christopher's first fiance worked (worked!), and now the Lockwoods, whom Stevie (and in particular, Teri, but she's a woman so can't receive the credit) mentored.

I feel really sad for Jaynee. I hope whatever Daniel has done, it doesn't mean he's got another mouth to feed coming out of it.

Doesn't the violation have to be pretty serious for them to be yanked from their mission? They've been there something like 10 years, haven't they?

Edited for clarity. And also to add: I really hope he just stole money or something -- anything other than cheating on her.

I've been a member here for a while, but mostly to read all of the Duggar crazy, so I'm not very familiar with this family. Just wow. I can't even imagine the anxiety his wife must be going through.

My children are citizens of the US and of New Zealand. You do not have to renounce one for the other unless you choose,.

I hope situations like these will open more fundies' eyes to the fact that no matter how "godly" the courtship, shit can (and does) still happen. This is why it is important to educate your kids and give them a way to support themselves (boys AND girls) if shit hits the fan.

My children are citizens of the US and of New Zealand. You do not have to renounce one for the other unless you choose,.

Some countries don't allow dual citizenship, some have restrictions and some don't allow you to renounce your citizenship. Looks like both Mexico and the US allow dual though so it may not be a problem for them.

AND, it's sad to me that SHE had to be the one to post his announcement to their blog. He wrote it, but it would appear it was her job to post it. Nice.

And at the end it says "God is so faithful and so good".

Uh, Jaynee, I'm having a hard time buying that one in this situation, and I'm pretty sure you are, too. Just sayin'...

I feel for Jaynee and the kids :(

I hope this scandal is more of the consensual kind (cheating, prostitutes, gay sex...), rather than the Gothard/Phillips kind :(

Can't quite see Steve Anderson having an affair but I can see him doing something like shooting a police officer or border patrol agent & getting sent to prison for 99 years while Zsu struggles with supporting herself & the kids.

My bet is a gay scandal for PP.

Wow--I did not see this coming to be honest (I'm assuming it's an affair since moral failing is pretty much synonymous with sex). Does anyone know of any more details through other social media channels?

I have a weird feeling that he stole money. I also had an odd feeling when the kids found the exact amount of money in a field that they needed. Far be it from me to question surprise blessings, because I have been the recipient of answered prayers. But the Lockwoods always gave me a feeling that they weren't on the up and up.

I have a weird feeling that he stole money. I also had an odd feeling when the kids found the exact amount of money in a field that they needed. Far be it from me to question surprise blessings, because I have been the recipient of answered prayers. But the Lockwoods always gave me a feeling that they weren't on the up and up.

I haven't religiously followed the Lockwoods, so maybe I've missed some things. However, if they were siphoning money, what were they using it for? I haven't seen them have any extravagances besides the few trips home, and if they were stealing to feed/clothe their kids, the Church/Mission should answer for some of that.

Zsu I could 100% believe did this, since there is money pouring out of that house but very little coming in. Have I missed things with the Lockwoods?

This is so sad for Jaynee and the kids. What a sleeze ball if that's the case. I hope she can find a better life in the US but guarantee she won't leave him. Not like she could ever find a decent job to support that many children anyway. I hope she doesn't refuse government assistance at least.

I'd forgotten about the money-found-in-the-field incident. I hope it was "just" a money thing, and that he didn't cheat on Jaynee. And if they weren't receiving enough money from their sponsors, they made a poor decision in expanding their church (new building, adding on) and also on home improvements. Not that they didn't deserve to make home improvements, but at some point supporting 12 kids on a missionary salary would have meant "go home and get a real job that doesn't include soul-winning". Just sayin'.

Maybe as part of his repentence, Daniel will come here and explain. I hope for everyone involved that he didn't cheat on his wife. Sigh.

On the Yuku board, Daniel did stop in to inform us of his wife's problems. He didn't ask for money and was polite; however, sometimes evangelicals are very polite because they want to convert people. Whether he was being nice because he is a nice guy or because he wanted to influence us is hard to know

This was from a post written in February of this year.

The other day, a dear lady and friend of mine wanted to talk to me. She said there was an area in her life she knew the Lord wanted her to surrender, but she couldn’t. She went on to explain that the other day, she and our son Timothy and a group of others were visiting after church and somehow the subject came up of having children. Someone had asked Timothy when he gets married, how many children he’d like to have. She said he answered, “I’d like to have as many as the Lord wants to give me.†Then someone asked my friend’s husband if they wanted to have more. My friend said her husband was quiet and just walked away.

He does want to have more…many more if the Lord wills. But my friend was scared. How will we provide? What about all the work? She had been telling her husband no more children.

Here in Mexico, almost every single woman, after they have had 2 or at the most 3 children, have had an operation to prevent them from having any more. Most of these ladies are still in their twenties. Mexicans, who use to be known for their large families, have now been indoctrinated that having many children=poverty.

Many here who receive medical care provided by the government are required to attend monthly meetings. My friends have told me some of what is taught at these meetings. A couple months ago, the meeting was on how a woman is not under her husband. If a husband asks or tells his wife to do or not do something, the wife needs to make her own decision. If a woman wants to work and her husband tells her he wants her to stay at home, that is abuse. She isn't to listen to that.

They have been taught through meetings, the television, the schools, and the medical community that many children=poverty. That relationships outside of marriage are fine…just do it “safelyâ€. The amount of single mothers here is astounding. The amount of people just living together versus getting married is…well, in our town….it’s like 100:1 now.

Many Children=Poverty

They do not see children as God sees them. They do not see them as a blessing from the Lord. The mothers do not see the high calling of motherhood as a gift. They have been taught wrongly for so long.

What a joy it is to open God’s Word and teach what HE says!!! What a joy it is to see hearts and minds open to something they never considered! And to see the Lord’s blessing!

It doesn’t matter if it’s popular or not. God’s Word is true, His ways are perfect, and always for our good!

We teach here in our church what God’s Word says each week. Last week, I had the privilege of speaking to a group of ladies at a church conference in Los Cabos. I opened my Bible to Titus 2 and taught them how God wants them to love their husband, to love their children, and what God says about children in His Word.

Christians tell me-

“I don’t want/can’t have any more children because…â€

Here are some of the reasons I hear all the time....

*I can barely afford the 1, 2, or 3 I have. I can’t possibly have another.

How big is your God? Is He limited in is ability to provide? Does He stop caring for/providing for your family once you hit a certain number of children? Are His promises no longer true?

People's beliefs don't excuse them from hurting other people. In this case, telling a woman that even though she knows she can't financially support a child to just trust god instead of her own brain is very harmful. Maybe it is a good thing that Daniel isn't a pastor.

From the comments under the Feb article, it sounds as if the Lockwoods believe if the husband or medical science determines that a woman not have children, that is fine. The woman herself should not make the decision for herself. That isn't different than what other fundies believe. The Lockwoods are just more polite in how they express their views.

I can't imagine what Daniel could have done to be kicked out of his role as pastor. "...Sending church have decided to remove me from the ministry immediately." This sounds like something serious but it is impossible to know unless they tell us. I don't like to imagine him cheating on Jaycee or stealing from the church.

I haven't religiously followed the Lockwoods, so maybe I've missed some things. However, if they were siphoning money, what were they using it for? I haven't seen them have any extravagances besides the few trips home, and if they were stealing to feed/clothe their kids, the Church/Mission should answer for some of that.

Zsu I could 100% believe did this, since there is money pouring out of that house but very little coming in. Have I missed things with the Lockwoods?

I don't know why I think it. You know when you just have one of those nagging feelings?

I don't know why I think it. You know when you just have one of those nagging feelings?

Totally understandable. I have those ALL THE TIME with people we talk about here.

From the comments under the Feb article, it sounds as if the Lockwoods believe if the husband or medical science determines that a woman not have children, that is fine. The woman herself should not make the decision for herself. That isn't different than what other fundies believe. The Lockwoods are just more polite in how they express their views.

I can't imagine what Daniel could have done to be kicked out of his role as pastor. "...Sending church have decided to remove me from the ministry immediately." This sounds like something serious but it is impossible to know unless they tell us. I don't like to imagine him cheating on Jaycee or stealing from the church.

People are going to assume the worst unless/until presented with the truth. Vague explanations only get you so far. Unless it was something truly terrible, I would think it would be in his best interest to just come out with it, once and for all. Obviously, they don't owe anyone an explanation but just imagine the tongues wagging in their hometown right now...

This is the one to make me feel the saddest for all involved - I hope that Jaynee can keep herself strong and together in the coming months, it's going to be a hard transition for them to move from missionaries in Mexico to a self-sustaining American family of 14.

On the scale of things he could have done, cheating on his wife would be relatively minor. Sure, it's a shitty thing to do, but it's not illegal. He won't end up in jail and hopefully can still support his family (or, start to support them somehow). Also, cheating on his wife with a consenting adult would be FAR and away the more preferable option to molesting a child under his tutelage.

People are going to assume the worst unless/until presented with the truth. Vague explanations only get you so far. Unless it was something truly terrible, I would think it would be in his best interest to just come out with it, once and for all. Obviously, they don't owe anyone an explanation but just imagine the tongues wagging in their hometown right now...

This is the one to make me feel the saddest for all involved - I hope that Jaynee can keep herself strong and together in the coming months, it's going to be a hard transition for them to move from missionaries in Mexico to a self-sustaining American family of 14.

I disagree to the bolded. These people made their livelihoods by living off the donations of others specifically for a purpose (their mission). Just as companies have owe their shareholders an account of their finances, so too do people who live off the donations of others based upon the pretext of a mission owe their beneficiaries an explanation of what happened when something significantly impacts that mission. Maybe Jaynee and Daniel do not personally owe the explanation, but the mission who employed them certainly does.

If this were purely private and Daniel had chosen to resign because of personal matters, I'd agree. But he was forcibly removed from his role and admits that his actions have impacted the mission. The people who supported that mission have a right to know, because they should be able to choose whether or not they want to continue supporting this program at all.

Edit To clarify: I think the Mission Org needs to release something like the following:

This is what happened, in a nutshell.

This is what we have done to rectify the situation.

This is what we will continue to do to fix the current situation.

This is what we will do going forward to prevent this from happening again.

I had forgotten about that! Sad to say, I am also kind of hoping the moral failure is about money, not an affair. Poor Jaynee. And whatever he did, how do you tell the children? I feel so sorry for them. Especially in the patriarchal culture where Dad is so exalted, how do you explain to them that Dad did X and now he can't be a pastor and we have to leave? Their world is crashing around them. So sad.

Archived