Abigail reviews a book on how to become friendly with saints and angels.

abigails-alcove.blogspot.com/2014/05/book-review-and-give-away-scott-hahns.html

She especially loves the chapter that is apparently about how to become friendly with Moses. She says she already hosts a "Christian seder" every year and wants to recite Miriam's Song of the Sea at Easter. I knew about her doing a seder, but what the hell is the connection between Miriam and Easter?

The idea of worshiping Moses or seeing him as a figure of intercession approaches offensive territory for me. In Jewish tradition, we don't know the location of his gravesite so that he could never be worshiped. And now Abigail is going to make him her best supernatural buddy.

Can I just say you have my vote for best avatar??! I wish I could go back and edit my snarkies entry! Tina is awesome.

I know there's the passover/easter connection because Jesus's last supper was a seder. However I have no clue what the connection is to Miriam's Song.

The Song of the Sea is sometimes used in the Catholic liturgy. Many Christians see the deliverance of the Israelites through the Exodus as a prelude to the deliverance of humanity from sin through Christ's crucifiction. In that way I can see why it would be used at Easter.

Moses is an important figure in Christianity. Catholics to revere him as a saint, which is not the same as worshiping him. There is a distinct difference in Christianity. And according to their beliefs, a saint can be called upon to intercede on a person's behave, through prayer.

I don't think those beliefs are inherently wrong nor do they really have anything to do with Judaism. They also aren't anything new and have been around for a very, very long time.

That said, a Christian having a seder is odd, since that is a very specifically Jewish ritual. There are enough rituals and feasts within Christianity.

Go tell that to the Christians, especially the faux Jews! They really like borrowing/co-opting them for their own ends.

(snip)

Moses is an important figure in Christianity. Catholics to revere him as a saint, which is not the same as worshiping him. There is a distinct difference in Christianity. And according to their beliefs, a saint can be called upon to intercede on a person's behave, through prayer.

I don't think those beliefs are inherently wrong nor do they really have anything to do with Judaism. They also aren't anything new and have been around for a very, very long time.

That said, a Christian having a seder is odd, since that is a very specifically Jewish ritual. There are enough rituals and feasts within Christianity.

Are you sure about that? The way I remember it from my long-ago Catholic RE classes, he's a prophet, but not a saint, because he predates Christianity. One of the requirements for becoming a saint is being Christian, if I recall correctly, and Moses was not. You could argue, in Catholicism, that everyone who is assuredly in heaven, is a saint. But then, there's the Dignitatis Humanae, which (paraphrased) states that everyone who acted within the best of their knowledge and conscience, regardless of faith, winds up in heaven. Arguably that would make Ghandi a Catholic saint.

Please correct me, if I'm wrong, I've just never heard of a BC saint.

Since Moses is intensely real and alive, I can cultivate a friendship with him that is encouraging and real. In the Mystery of the Transfiguration, Jesus himself models an intense friendship with Moses. After reading Hahn's book, I'm excited to approach Moses in a more intimate manner this coming summer.

Well, that's not creepy. :roll:

Abigail has been showing some Faux Jew tendencies lately. There's the Christian seders, and this entry from her post "A Shout Out From My Uncle Paul":

St. Paul is from the same Jewish family tree as my husband--The Benjamin Clan. I tell my kids, "Whenever you read a Letter from St. Paul, don't think of him as some dusty guy from ancient Palestine. He's our relative. His advice is always fresh and current. Read his words like they are an email from a beloved uncle!"

Archived