IGNORED

Harry Potter And The Forbidden Books

lilah

That crazy bitch actually thought Revelations was a better read for children than Harry Potter. Can you imagine story time at her house?

Hey gather round, kids, let's have a story!

Yeah!

What should we read today? Dr. Seuss, Winnie the Pooh..... Oh, I know! How about Revelations!

Yeah! Read the part about rivers of blood! No read the part about the beast with seven heads! Yeah! My favorite part!

:censor2:

Or she could do what Mrs Betty Bowers does and re-tell the story in a way that promotes her worldview. This is satire BTW.

[bBvideo 560,340:35moz9cs]

[/bBvideo]

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This. Anything they enjoyed as kids is okay, no matter how similar the content is to newer things they want to ban.

I wonder if the fact that Harry Potter is in a modern setting scares some of them. Since we don't have orcs or elves or talking robots running around, LoTR and Star Wars are obviously fantasy. Harry and his friends are otherwise ordinary teens in modern-day Britain doing magic. Any kid old enough to actually read the books isn't likely to think Harry Potter is real while Star Wars isn't. But fundies aren't known for their critical thinking skills.

I wonder what the people calling to ban HP on religious grounds would say if they actually read the last book.

This is how it was explained to be. It's like why the rape stuff in Anne Rice's Sleeping Beauty trilogy is okay (there's no way that book could happen in the real world, no kingdom staffed by hundreds of princes and princesses turned into sex slaves for the nobility and peasants), while Fifty Shades is so appalling (men like Christian Grey exist, and Ana's experiences are very much like what a lot of victims experience in real life). If something is so clearly a fantasy in a world that makes it impossible to mimic in ours, it's okay, but the second our real world is involved, it's too close to home and so not allowed.

Let's just ignore how the magic in HP takes place in the wizarding world, not the muggle world.

But magic isn't real, so what's the problem that fundies have with it.

Is that why I never got my Hogwarts letter?

THIS OMG

i never understood why they celebrated Christmas in the books without commenting on how it was some muggle thing... because logically, the wizarding world would surely have stopped celebrating christmas and other religious traditions around the time they were being burned at the stake and beheaded. i really have a lot of thoughts on this topic.

Theory: Jesus was a wizard who performed magic tricks in front of muggles.

All this talk of banning certain books brings to mind the book and movie Farenheit 451. It starts out chillingly as a fire truck roars by and a child says to his mother something like "Look mommy. A fire truck! There's going to be a fire". The society in the story banned all books but holdouts would hoard and hide books. When it was learned that a person had books, the fire department would be sent to burn the books. The ending was poignant and I won't reveal it but it is an interesting take on book banning. I'm not saying that the Duggars would condone anything like this but books, themselves, are not to be feared. It is the reader who is in control, not the book. Besides, when I was a kid, if someone told me not to read a certain book, I would try to find the book.

All this talk of banning certain books brings to mind the book and movie Farenheit 451. It starts out chillingly as a fire truck roars by and a child says to his mother something like "Look mommy. A fire truck! There's going to be a fire". The society in the story banned all books but holdouts would hoard and hide books. When it was learned that a person had books, the fire department would be sent to burn the books. The ending was poignant and I won't reveal it but it is an interesting take on book banning. I'm not saying that the Duggars would condone anything like this but books, themselves, are not to be feared. It is the reader who is in control, not the book. Besides, when I was a kid, if someone told me not to read a certain book, I would try to find the book.

Well said!! Book banning is/has gotten ridiculous. There's a Where's Waldo book that got banned in lots of schools because on the beach page there is a tiny topless lady hidden somewhere.

I can't even find Waldo in those damn things, let alone a tiny, indistinct drawing of a topless person.

How repressed are you if a miniscule cartoon boob gets you all threatened, hot and bothered?

Well said!! Book banning is/has gotten ridiculous. There's a Where's Waldo book that got banned in lots of schools because on the beach page there is a tiny topless lady hidden somewhere.

What's the betting nobody would have noticed that lady if such a fuss hadn't been made? Banning reading material will only make it more attractive to people - it's human nature to want what you can't have.

Archived