IGNORED

Virginia atheist couple: official no right to get married

doggie

I am tired of self self righteous Christians that think they own marriage or much of anything else. of course the judge agrees.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/05/30/v ... t-married/

A court-appointed official in Virginia refused to perform a wedding ceremony for a couple because they don’t believe in God.

Tamar Courtney and Morgan Strong planned to get this married after six years together, and they’d hoped a friend would be able to officiate, reported the Friendly Atheist blog.

But that friend had trouble obtaining his license, so the couple turned to Franklin County – where a judge referred them to two court-appointed officiants.

The first official they called, Bud Roth, said he would not perform the ceremony at the courthouse, although he didn’t specify why, but said he would marry them at his church.

Although neither of them believes in God, the couple agreed to go through the legal portion of the ceremony at Roth’s church and then planned to celebrate later with friends and family.

After they agreed on the cost, location, date, and time, Roth asked Courtney about their religious denomination.

She admitted she was agnostic and Strong was an atheist, and she said Roth told them they didn’t have the right to marry because they “didn’t know where God was.â€

Strong was so incredulous he set up a recording and called Roth himself to ask why they’d been denied service.

“Because she’s agnostic and you’re an atheist,†Roth said on the recording. “I will not marry you. You don’t believe in God.â€

Wow, that's awful that a court appointed official would do that. They should definitely be removed from the list.

So would it be better for them to live together "in sin"?

Way out. of line should be removed.

Bizarre and out of line.

I can see refusing to marry them in a church, but there doesn't seem to be any barrier to civil marriage there...

The first thing that came to mind when I read this was Loving v Virginia. It's incredibly sad that the same state that fought all the way to the Supreme Court trying to deny people the right to marry based on race is still finding ways to make it difficult for a couple that loves each other to be together.

Does this judge have ever heard about secularism ? If an official ask me if I believe in God, I will punch him in the face.

Looks like there are 2 officiants for this county, and the couple will now be getting married by the other officiant. So this one was appointed by the judge knowing that he would only marry couples who believe in God. The other officiant performs marriages for any couple with a license. I will never understand the kind of discriminatory bullshit that civil servants can get away with in the South.

Wow, that's awful that a court appointed official would do that. They should definitely be removed from the list.

Funny how some people confuse the Constitution and the bible.

Funny how some people confuse the Constitution and the bible.

But they are one in the same right????

But they are one in the same right????

Damn that Widener education of mine you are right. :lol:

That is awful. Kinda funny that they couldn't get married by a government official bc they were atheists, yet I was able to find a minister that would marry my husband and me despite us being atheists. To be fair, he was a family friend of my husband's and married us in a secular ceremony. But he is still a Presbyterian (?? or something) minister and said we were good people, of course he would marry us regardless of wanting a non-religious ceremony.

Hope this person is removed from the list of people who can officiate secular weddings.

Wow, now I'm superglad of the system we have here. Even though the country is Catholic, it is actuall much more secular than the US. Most ofwestern Europe is .

Here to make a marriage legal you have to go to the town hall. You can make that the main event or have a church wedding or your own ceremony or whatever you want afterwards. But you cannot be legally married anywhere other than a town hall (unless you get married abroad or something), officiated by someone who works at the town hall.

So in a fairly typical wedding I went to recently, the couple (and their witnesses) went to town hall in the morning, got officially married and then there was the church wedding in the afternoon to which everyone was invited.

Virginia is not the only batshit crazy in the USA.

During the run-up to approval of same-sex marriages in Washington State, more than one local legislator took to the Capitol floor to share that he (or she) did not think that anyone who would not "procreate" should be married in Washington. One went so far as to say that those who knew they would not be having children should not be issued a marriage license in Washington State.

I contacted him. We don't have kids. We had no intention of having children before we got married. We were of legal marriageable age in this state and fit all other standards required when our license was issued. The size of our family is none of his business. Did he respond to my politely worded letter? No.

The right-wing in this country is dying. They're attempting to take as many down with them as possible. The state official that refused the couple in Virginia because they don't believe in God should lose his job.

During the run-up to approval of same-sex marriages in Washington State, more than one local legislator took to the Capitol floor to share that he (or she) did not think that anyone who would not "procreate" should be married in Washington. One went so far as to say that those who knew they would not be having children should not be issued a marriage license in Washington State.

I contacted him. We don't have kids. We had no intention of having children before we got married. We were of legal marriageable age in this state and fit all other standards required when our license was issued. The size of our family is none of his business. Did he respond to my politely worded letter? No.

The right-wing in this country is dying. They're attempting to take as many down with them as possible. The state official that refused the couple in Virginia because they don't believe in God should lose his job.

Jeez, that must be so humiliating to people who are infertile. Yikes!

Luckily the rest of the state has sense (well at least us on the west side of the Cascades)!

It shouldn't have been up for a vote (rights shouldn't be voted on) but at least everyone had the sense to vote for rights for all, instead of against. So no problem.

Unfortunately, one of the arguments against same-sex marriage is that the couple won't be able to have children. I guess it's not limited to just same-sex marriage but is a tool against any potential marriage. I was not aware that marriage was required to procreate. Or that procreation was required for marriage. Same goes with religious beliefs. One should not have to fill out a questionnaire about their beliefs and intentions before marriage. All that should be required is two consenting adults. What's next, requiring permission from the female's parents?

But... Marriage is about paying less-taxes, true ? It's not about children, fidelity, or love. That's the couple business. That's just about paying less taxes and having other jural advantages.

Children required for marriage really pushes my buttons too. I had to do IVF to have children. It wasn't covered by my insurance. If the state really wants every married couple to have kids, maybe require some damn coverage in case couples have trouble. A completely different issue I know, but gah!!!

So atheists can't get married but the lady who tie the baby to the dress is ok?

well she did have Jesus on her side and she proved she could breed. :cray-cray:

I have never known of a judge to refuse to marry a couple (even bi-racial couples) here in Tiny Town, Alabama. Well, at least in my lifetime that is.

When will Christians understand that their beliefs don't dictate laws. America was never and will never be a Christian nation. Every time they don't like something they throw out bible quotes, yet they don't use the bible in their own life. Get over it already.

Looks like there are 2 officiants for this county, and the couple will now be getting married by the other officiant. So this one was appointed by the judge knowing that he would only marry couples who believe in God. The other officiant performs marriages for any couple with a license. I will never understand the kind of discriminatory bullshit that civil servants can get away with in the South.

I posted about this on Facebook and a few people said that that minister has the right to not marry people who he doesn't want to. Those idiots didn't understand that that officiant accepted an appointment for the courthouse, which means he, for purposes of ceremonies referred to him by the court, is a public servant, and his own personal beliefs be damned. If they walked into his church without a referral, then he's free to do what he wants. But not when they were referred to him by a judge when he was appointed by the court.

Archived