IGNORED

Jill Duggar wedding invite

lilith

I like the antique blue truck, but unfortunately when I look at it all I see is the dirty white toolbox.

In fact, I see the date first, then the dirty toolbox, then Dill.

:shrug:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I swear, veron1que, I tried to restrain myself, but it looks like I won't be able to help it. The rational part of me is thinking, oh, Tom Riddle is the alternate identity she's given to her parents, but my inner 12-year-old is secretly thinking, ohmahgawsh, her mom is married to Voldemort! :lol:

Sorry, I honestly did take a crack at maturity before I failed miserably. :cracking-up:

I'm totally geeking out right now....Mrs. Tom Riddle. FJ rocks :worship:

I'll admit my mother loves being Mr. & Mrs, Tom Riddle. She gets very offended when people address her separately, she is very prideful about being a married woman. So I'm sure it was their preference. (As stated above, I do agree it should read Mr. & Mrs. James Duggar....but :cray-cray: )

I'm also inclined to believe his mother is separate because she's remarried, not because they respect her any more than Michelle.

I do, however, see Rescinded's point and agree that much of etiquette is rather sexist in nature.

Derick's mom is on a separate line because she is remarried. That's proper etiquette and the formal way to write them. If she weren't remarried they could be on the same line. So as much as the Duggars screw shit up, that isn't one of them. Still annoyed at the absence of step dad. He's already be introduced on the show and mentioned several times, so he's clearly somewhat involved. Also, "Son of" should be it's own line.

They still could have worded the top as "Mr and Mrs James Robert and Michelle Duggar" or just simply "James Robert and Michelle Duggar request the honor ..." But that would be giving Michelle too much credit. (Which is odd bc we know how much she wants that credit and attention.)

I guess I'm a bit of a proper invitation snob but the way this is done just really gets on my nerves.

There's no way they didn't use an envelope. They wouldn't put out a picture with that writing on it and then info on the back for all the world to see. There's way too much of a chance that some crazed fan will see it and spread it all over hell and creation. And really, it's just not safe. You don't want random people coming to your wedding.

Do you think all the guests have to sign TLC waivers to keep their mouths shut and give permission to be filmed? I'm guessing yes since Anna's brother wasn't happy about it at her wedding.

I find it both odd and annoying that Michelle's name on the invite makes it look like she is basically a non-entity, she's essentially listed as "OfJimBob." Derick's mom, on the other hand, gets her own line where her full name is given. It just seems so much more respectful toward Cathy.

Your mileage may vary, but I get seriously pissed off when people/address labels attempt to address me as "Mrs. Husband's Full Name." I have my own name and identity, thankyouverymuch, and am NOT an extension of my husband's identity.

eh, it's pretty standard for formal invitation. If you want to be addressed separately you either don't take your husband's last name (eg Mr. John Smith and Mrs. Jane Doe), or you have to get a title which lets you go first (for us it's Dr. Jane Smith and Mr. John Smith... I get to go first because I have more edumacation). I do get irritated when I am addressed as a Miss or as Mr. and Mrs. John Smith, because that is not even correct per formal invite etiquette. I earned the fucking degree, I get to go first.

I will agree that most standard forms of etiquette are rooted in the patriarchy, but if someone is just trying to be proper and polite, I won't hold it against them.

I do think it's hilarious that they wrote "Mr. and Mrs. Jim Bob" rather than James Robert. assuming his birth certificate doesn't say Jim Bob. Which it may. My grandparents were Bessie and Billy on their birth certificates, not short for anything more fancy.

I've finally almost gotten over expecting formal wedding invitations. Every year it seems they get more and more like birthday party invitations used to be. This one doesn't look much different from the one that came in the mail last week. I'm not at all fond of the Jim Bob though. I don't have an opinion yet on the stepdad since maybe he's only been an addition since Derick was an adult.

eh, it's pretty standard for formal invitation. If you want to be addressed separately you either don't take your husband's last name (eg Mr. John Smith and Mrs. Jane Doe), or you have to get a title which lets you go first (for us it's Dr. Jane Smith and Mr. John Smith... I get to go first because I have more edumacation). I do get irritated when I am addressed as a Miss or as Mr. and Mrs. John Smith, because that is not even correct per formal invite etiquette. I earned the fucking degree, I get to go first.

I will agree that most standard forms of etiquette are rooted in the patriarchy, but if someone is just trying to be proper and polite, I won't hold it against them.

I do think it's hilarious that they wrote "Mr. and Mrs. Jim Bob" rather than James Robert. assuming his birth certificate doesn't say Jim Bob. Which it may. My grandparents were Bessie and Billy on their birth certificates, not short for anything more fancy.

I was curious about this, too. I knew a guy in college whose legal name was Danny Ray Lastname. Not kidding you. He used to mock it himself with how redneck his parents were. Danny Ray. Like Billy Ray Cyrus. Eek. Anyhow, according to Wikipedia, his legal name is James Robert. His father was James as well, so it appears to be a family name. And he does have a son named James Robert as well.

PS: I really though Michael was going to be name Matthew James. I still think that's a nice name that really flows well. Good Strong name.

I think they invited the Jeubs to maybe play matchmaker between the guests. Also it's pretty common to hold a sign in front of a truck... All the rage with the kids these days of I had a dollar for every couple picture in front of a truck I could pay off my student loans, make a down payment on a house and take trip to Europe and that's the modest estimate. I also am willing to bet there will be mason jars, cowboy boots and sweet tea.

Your mileage may vary, but I get seriously pissed off when people/address labels attempt to address me as "Mrs. Husband's Full Name." I have my own name and identity, thankyouverymuch, and am NOT an extension of my husband's identity.

Yeah, even at my own wedding, I wouldn't let anyone announce me that way. Of course, my MIL still addresses stuff to us like that all the time.

(snip)

There's no way they didn't use an envelope. They wouldn't put out a picture with that writing on it and then info on the back for all the world to see. There's way too much of a chance that some crazed fan will see it and spread it all over hell and creation. And really, it's just not safe. You don't want random people coming to your wedding.

Tell that to the Bates family! :lol:

PS: I really though Michael was going to be name Matthew James. I still think that's a nice name that really flows well. Good Strong name.

Give it a few years...I imagine they'll manage to make a Matthew at some point. :ew:

I know know it's rehashing old stuff, but it pissed me off royally when they told everyone that Michael was named after SmugAnna's father and didn't even mention 'And it's the male version of Michelle, so it's special because of her, too.'

ETA: If they haven't already made one... :ew: :ew: :ew:

Give it a few years...I imagine they'll manage to make a Matthew at some point. :ew:

I know know it's rehashing old stuff, but it pissed me off royally when they told everyone that Michael was named after SmugAnna's father and didn't even mention 'And it's the male version of Michelle, so it's special because of her, too.'

To be fair they may not have realized that Michelle =Michael :lol:

Other than that I an't snark too much, yes they do look like save the dates, but I think it's becoming more common to use this type of invitation over the traditional type.

I'm not too bothered that Derick's stepddad isn't included and I say this as a step mom to step children. I don't know they history between them how long he's been in Derick's life etc, and who knows maybe his stepddad didn't feel comfortable being included.

I personally have no problem with just a StD type invitation rather than both a StD and a wedding invitation. I never saw the purpose for so many pieces of paper. But, then I'm not going to have a typical wedding (unless its super important to my future husband).

As for his step-dad, Derick's dad died while he was in auditioning to be Pistol Pete (if I remember the article correctly). His step-dad has only been around for a couple years, unless he's an old family friend or something like that.

I personally have no problem with just a StD type invitation rather than both a StD and a wedding invitation. I never saw the purpose for so many pieces of paper. But, then I'm not going to have a typical wedding (unless its super important to my future husband).

As for his step-dad, Derick's dad died while he was in auditioning to be Pistol Pete (if I remember the article correctly). His step-dad has only been around for a couple years, unless he's an old family friend or something like that.

Besides which there wasn't enough time between the proposal and the wedding to send out a StD and a wedding invitation.

I was curious about this, too. I knew a guy in college whose legal name was Danny Ray Lastname. Not kidding you. He used to mock it himself with how redneck his parents were. Danny Ray. Like Billy Ray Cyrus. Eek. Anyhow, according to Wikipedia, his legal name is James Robert. His father was James as well, so it appears to be a family name. And he does have a son named James Robert as well.

My crazy is about to show. But he has sons named Jedidiah Robert, Jeremiah Robert, & James Andrew.

My crazy is about to show. But he has sons named Jedidiah Robert, Jeremiah Robert, & James Andrew.

I thought James' middle name was Robert?? Why would they give their children the same middle names? They already all have the same initial and last name. With the same middle name there's even less individuality. Ugh.

I'm pretty certain she's pregnant. Marcus is a year old next week (his birthday is within a few days of my son) and that's standard for them. Still, I'm pretty surprised that Marcus came before Matthew.

I might remember it all wrong, but I think they originally chose the letter "M" to honor Mullet.

I might remember it all wrong, but I think they originally chose the letter "M" to honor Mullet.

I'm remembering that, too. Isn't Mack's middle name Renee, after Anna's middle name?

I'm remembering that, too. Isn't Mack's middle name Renee, after Anna's middle name?

Yes, it is. I'm quite surprised they didn't use Joshua for their first-born son (or for the second, either). As smug as Smuggar is, you would think his first son would bear his name.

I think they invited the Jeubs to maybe play matchmaker between the guests. Also it's pretty common to hold a sign in front of a truck... All the rage with the kids these days of I had a dollar for every couple picture in front of a truck I could pay off my student loans, make a down payment on a house and take trip to Europe and that's the modest estimate. I also am willing to bet there will be mason jars, cowboy boots and sweet tea.

Yes, I get a hipster vibe from them, and maybe that sounds crazy because they are fundies. But between Derick's bow tie, the flower in Jill's hair, the old truck, and the cowboy boots, it feels very southern/country hipster. It will be interesting to see what the wedding decorations are like. I can totally see lemonade served in mason jars.

I thought James' middle name was Robert?? Why would they give their children the same middle names? They already all have the same initial and last name. With the same middle name there's even less individuality. Ugh.

Yes, those pour twin boys share a middle name, no individuality at all. Can´t have that ;)

BTW, Jason´s middle name is Michael, so Smuggars Michael has no original name at all (and Josiah´s middle name is Matthew)

Still, I'm pretty surprised that Marcus came before Matthew.

I still can't believe they named their son Marcus Anthony. A name that makes you think of the Roman general of and lover of Cleopathra, or the singer. That's what two Fundies pick?

This has to be the first time I've seen a dead person's name on a wedding invitation.

Because my ex-husband had died several years before, I had my daughter's wedding invitations read "Hane ItalianLastname requests the honor of your presence at the marriage of her daughter EvilDeathChild FrenchLastname to [sIL], son of [sIL's parents]." (I added them because I like them.)

As Miss Manners or someone of her ilk said, "A dead person cannot invite anyone to anything." The wedding announcement did mention that the bride is the daughter of the late Ex-Mr.-Hane-#1, as is appropriate.

I still can't believe they named their son Marcus Anthony. A name that makes you think of the Roman general of and lover of Cleopathra, or the singer. That's what two Fundies pick?

His name wasn't even Mark Anthony. That's what really bugs me.

Archived