IGNORED

Erika Shupe says you need less entertainment

It was my impression that the kids USED to get to have "entertainment" type books (and probably movies since you mention frozen. I haven't seen the pictures). However, going forward that is going to change.

That is sad because the kids will know what they are missing if they've been allowed to watch/read things like Frozen, Spider-man and MLP in the past. I suppose they are probably used to the rollercoaster that their mom is by now though :(

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suspect that Erika has a mental issue with order an control. Religion is just another convenient way to achieve "perfection" for her.

Speaking of controlling mothers with cleaning/order obsessions, whatever happened to that lady (Lina?) who was obsessed with getting rid of stuff and only allowed her kids a specific number of clothing items and toys and eventually moved her family to an RV? I always put Erika in the same category as that lady. Obsessive, controlling ladies who are religious for the sake of control, not religion itself.

The Lazy Organizer! I think her name was Lara or Laura. Lina is the vegan fake Jew who became Catholic. I have no idea what happened to the LO but I worry about her kids. She dropped off the internet after she got rid of most of her kids clothes and toys and moved them into an RV. She was crazy and somebody needed to stage an intervention.

It was my impression that the kids USED to get to have "entertainment" type books (and probably movies since you mention frozen. I haven't seen the pictures). However, going forward that is going to change.

That is sad because the kids will know what they are missing if they've been allowed to watch/read things like Frozen, Spider-man and MLP in the past. I suppose they are probably used to the rollercoaster that their mom is by now though :(

That's true. And another sad thing is that if their parents are their main adult mentors, it could be devastating if their mom or dad show favoritism. I've seen it happen in other fundie families. Seriously, kids need more adults as mentors in their lives than just their parents for 99% of the time. I wish fundies would figure it out that it really does take a village of caring people to raise kids well. Most teachers and nurses and coaches are wonderful role models.

I still don't understand why the Shupe's are fundie. Neither parent grew up in the lifestyle (to my knowledge). Erika went to a secular university. She has a degree in education, that is apparently "useless". She seems independent enough that she wouldn't want to live in the lifestyle. Judging from the blog, the father seems like a doormat. Why would they choose this? :think:

I think that this goes hand and hand with being against reading for fun. If you're fundie, you don't have to be intellectually curious. In fact, the fundie community praises a lack of intellectual curiosity as "faith". That, along with the fact that she can justify her insane decisions by pulling out a bible verse (or just calling it "gods will"), are probably reasons why this appeals to her.

Also, as you mentioned, unlike most fundie women, she's in control. I think that her opinion of this lifestyle would be a lot different if dad wasn't a doormat.

• 2 weeks later...

New Erika post up with their summer schedule in half-hour increments, starting at 6am for the oldest daughter (15) and 6:30am for the next-oldest (14). Those lucky kids ... :roll:

New Erika post up with their summer schedule in half-hour increments, starting at 6am for the oldest daughter (15) and 6:30am for the next-oldest (14). Those lucky kids ... :roll:

Holy Cow. Was she in the military at one point?

..Erika reminds me of someone who could easily be a CEO or manager full time and STILL have her kids and house in perfect order.

And i totally think her kids are going to fall apart or at least, struggle to keep it together when they are left to their own devices. Sad. :|

post-10046-1445199917228_thumb.jpg

Archived