IGNORED

Atheists in the Bible Belt - Merge

Toothfairy

Fairview. :) I think we are looking at moving to east Asheville though as in the few years we've been gone, homes in fairvirw have gone up a ton in price. Otherwise wed move right back there. I'm surprised you are having issues and it makes me sad for you. :( I mostly noticed stuck up yuppies in south Asheville, but not religious fanatics. I love hendersonville though. DH and I make the drive from greenville almost once a week as we much prefer to travel up there then into greenville.

Fairview is gorgeous! The husband and I enjoy going to Greenville, but we do not live there so we do not experience what you have. Makes me sad for you too :( I enjoy Hendersonville quite a bit...so much so my office is there lol We experience more of a problem with the excessive religiosity through our coworkers (for husband) and clients (for me). I have learned to just smile and be gracious.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I once ran across a pagan homeschooling blog. I remember having thought that being a pagan in the Bible Belt (like the author) must be even worse than being an atheist there.

• 5 months later...
I haven't come out yet either, partly because I'm agnostic and secondly because I'm terrified of being cut off from my family.

Same here. Although in my part of the Bible Belt (Durham, NC), not a lot of people ask/proselytize me about religion (probably because I was raised and live in a college town). We occasionally got Jehovah's Witnesses trolling our neighborhood and leaving behind papers... but they haven't come down our street for years. And at my current job, I would find the occasional "I'm a Mormon" card in the men's bathrooms.

I do hear people talk about religion here in NC, but nothing bad or pervasive to the extent several other members described in other areas of the state. I also graduated from a private liberal arts college in Virginia (affiliated with the United Methodist Church), and it was refreshingly progressive. Of course I had to attend a New Testament class, but everyone minded their own business.

And that college was in a small town too. Everyone minded their own business but they were friendly, outgoing, and accepting. Fundies should take a cue from the UMC, IMO.

Archived