IGNORED

Bibles not allowed in schools, encouraged in prisons

SpeakNow

One of them said it was allowed in school when she was a kid (she's like in her 60's I think?) but you were teased for it. I rolled my eyes and asked her when Bibles were banned from schools? She said "When the atheists took prayer out." I trying to tell these people the truth, and they never respond to me. This woman did when I told her you can't stop people from praying, and prayer is in schools, just not teacher or administrator led prayer, and also that the Bible is allowed in school as long as the kids/teacher/administrator reads it in their spare time. She said "You're right, nobody can keep me from praying."

I went to a public high school in a very liberal, university community in the late 90s/early 00s, and we studied the Bible in our English class. There was no religious proselytizing whatsoever, we instead examined the literary and artistic aspects of the various books. I found it useful later in my college career because of the impact the Bible has had on so much of Western culture. We also had clubs such as the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, etc. and they were all allowed to have their Bibles--just as the Muslim Student Association were allowed to bring their Qu'rans.

There are many reasons for the school-to-prison pipeline, but the Bible has nothing to do with it.

Um prisoners are adults who should have already been educated ( should have been educated not have been educated) can choose their beliefs, kids in school are still learning and are impressionable, only teaching Christianity ( in schools) even if the child is Christian take away that child's right of freedom of religion as they are being, for lack of a better word, brainwashed into believing in Christianity,

Um prisoners are adults who should have already been educated ( should have been educated not have been educated) can choose their beliefs, kids in school are still learning and are impressionable, only teaching Christianity ( in schools) even if the child is Christian take away that child's right of freedom of religion as they are being, for lack of a better word, brainwashed into believing in Christianity,

I have to say, though, that people in prison are also extremely impressionable due to the 'season of life' (to use J'chelle's words) they're in. Many are attempting to recover from drug addiction and some are suffering from mental illness--and it's safe to say that they're all at the lowest point in their life and grasping for something--anything--to give their life meaning. I spent a short time working for a county jail in the south (something I do not recommend to anyone) and saw first-hand how pastors and other seemingly well-meaning missionaries took advantage of this. In the hospital ward in particular, I was very disturbed to see exorcisms conducted on mentally ill inmates--the pastor that came in to do them particularly wanted the ones that were known as 'bangers' and wouldn't stop hitting their head against the walls or bars of their cells. I have to say I was very uncomfortable with the amount of access that the jail gave these people, particularly to the ill inmates. Most of them needed proper psychiatric care, not a man with a book screaming at them.

I have to say, though, that people in prison are also extremely impressionable due to the 'season of life' (to use J'chelle's words) they're in. Many are attempting to recover from drug addiction and some are suffering from mental illness--and it's safe to say that they're all at the lowest point in their life and grasping for something--anything--to give their life meaning. I spent a short time working for a county jail in the south (something I do not recommend to anyone) and saw first-hand how pastors and other seemingly well-meaning missionaries took advantage of this. In the hospital ward in particular, I was very disturbed to see exorcisms conducted on mentally ill inmates--the pastor that came in to do them particularly wanted the ones that were known as 'bangers' and wouldn't stop hitting their head against the walls or bars of their cells. I have to say I was very uncomfortable with the amount of access that the jail gave these people, particularly to the ill inmates. Most of them needed proper psychiatric care, not a man with a book screaming at them.

Good point. But they are adults whereas children are still minors in the care of usually their parents, the parents are the ones who should be making the choices about religion, even though I believe all people should learn about all religions, it's up to the parents. Prisoners are legally adults and, aside from being in prison, can legally make their own choice on religion. I understand they are easy pickings for indoctrination but they are still adults.

Still had the pledge but I bet fundies would be aghast to find that my government teacher used a different deity (or religious figure) each day. "One nation under God/Vishnu/Allah/Gaia/Yahweh/Satan/Nobody" -- whatever he thought of that day. .

Your government teacher sounds *awesome*. "One nation under Nobody." :laughing-rolling:

Some public high schools do have "Bible As Literature" courses . My high school offered that class when I was a freshman and I knew an older student who took it. As others have mentioned, some kids do carry Bibles in schools and the schools are ok with it, as long as there are no conflicts. There was lunch Bible study group at my school for awhile and I knew another student not affiliated with that group who would read the Bible during lunch on his own away from his friends.

I have seen that picture on my FB feed before and I always thought it was stupid to say that teaching children the Bible would prevent them from being criminals. Many people forget that the stories in Bible about murder and other crimes.

Good example of how the bible does not prevent illegal actions is the hobby lobby president lying to congress about starting a bible class that was supposed to only be about education and not preaching. History has proven Christians just as horrible as everyone else.

There are many reasons for the school-to-prison pipeline, but the Bible has nothing to do with it.

"It has been said that you can predict the prison population by looking at how many third graders perform poorly on standardized tests."

Patently untrue. I'm a school librarian and we have copies of the bible and the Qur'an (my school has a huge Muslim population) in the library and they are constantly checked out.

Archived