IGNORED

All Things Doug Phillips & VF, Including Lourdes's Lawsuit

happy atheist

!  {TEXT1}:
Since the separate threads both deal with Doug the Tool, and both have slowed down so much, we're going to combine discussion here.

Previous Lourdes Manteufel threads:

Part 1: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21549

Part 2: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21709

Previous Doug Phillips (is a tool) threads:

Part 1: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19831

Part 2: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19945

Part 3: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20076

Part 4: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20272

Part 5: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20492

Part 6: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20934

Part 7: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21372

Part 8: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21590

• Replies 889
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eagerly awaiting the next round of toolishness from the Dougster. It must be killing him to be out of the spotlight (and, more tragically, out of costume. It's not nearly as much fun re-enacting the sinking of the Titanic in your backyard kiddie pool). Any news on the legal front with him and the remnants of VF?

Doug Phillips is (still) a tool.

I wonder what Doug's next career will be? I can see him as an extra in history channel specials.

I wonder what Doug's next career will be? I can see him as an extra in history channel specials.

Infomercial host on QVC! He's got all that charisma to sell, sell, sell!

I can see DPIAT on the cosplay circuit vending at historical reenactments. Ren Faires would be right up his alley.

Finally caught up on all the DPIAT threads and now I've been reading Quiverfull by Kathryn Joyce (up to chapter six). I really appreciate being able to put the whole thing into perspective. Growing up as a kid in the movement means that i had a lot of missing pieces to the puzzle just from being too young to understand. It's good to be stretching my intellectual muscles again. :lol: I appreciate all the people here on FJ that know all this background and bring it into the discussion for people like myself, who are just waking up to these tragedies.

We make a lot of fun of VF but the ideas behind it were a big deal.. reading about how DP's father was friends with the founders of the Moral Majority, the beginnings of the super conservative right-wing movement, and all the goals of the Reconstructionists/Theocracy peeps, just shows how important these beliefs are to their ideas of governing nations. It's a big deal that DP totally effed up everything and fell so far. Hopefully this whole thing will expose the flaws of believing that men are superior just because they're men.

BTW I love all the references to other authors in Quiverfull. Next up I'm going to read Finally Feminist: A Pragmatic Christian Understanding of Gender (supposedly a more balanced view on how the verses the NCFIC uses to keep women second-class, apply to us today.) And I found out about classically homeschooling with The Well-Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer. (her blog: susanwisebauer.com/blog/) I'm thankful for people that are showing what evil is behind these ideas, and how it's spreading into the SBC and other churches. The NCFIC and others put oppression into such beautiful words that many people would have never imagined the darkness that was behind VF & Reconstructionists. I'm glad i found Free Jinger. This site is kinder and more balanced than I imagined. Lourdes was heroically brave to stand up against the evils, and risk angering powerful people. Many others would have been hurt if these ideas continued to be unchallenged. We would have just gone on in our little conservative bubble, thinking all was right with the world. Just wanted to give my thanks, for what it's worth. :romance-wub:

I thought the Well Trained Mind/classical homeschooling was less fundamentalist than ATI and Vision Forum. I never looked closely into it, because I've always preferred to just do unit studies or whatever interested us, and wanted to find specific math and science curriculum, but the people I know who do it now seem less conservative than the NCFIC types I know.

I actually heard that a family that had been part of a split within a homeschool group I'd been part of has left their local NCFIC and is back at the semi-mega church we all used to be part of. I never knew why they seemed to disappear (this was about 9 years ago) and go off the deep end with the homesteading, dresses only, everyone having to take violin or piano lessons, disappear into family integrated hell until I read about Vision Forum after it imploded. I'd heard of VF, and was even on their mailing list somehow, but had no idea what loons they all were before he scandal hit. When I started researching it, that family's actions suddenly made sense: they drank the VF kool aid. Oh well. Glad to hear that they seem to have leg the Movement when it blew up.

I don't think of Well-Trained Mind as particularly fundie either. I read the forums over there sometimes and there are some folks that I would consider fundie light, but also many who are mainstream evangelical, mainline Protestant or Catholic. At least in my area classical Christian homeschooling seems to cut a pretty wide swathe. My cousin's co-op is pretty fundie and they use VP materials (some authored by Doug Wilson) while I know there's a fairly mainstream group which meets at an Episcopal church and that follows some of Susan Wide Bauer's ideas. I don't have school age kids, but I get the impression that classical education is an idea that has broad appeal, both fundie and non-fundie, but that in practice the methods differ.

I know VF had reached pretty far into my old childhood church, and I'll be curious to see what happens now that it's imploded.

I'm sorry for the confusion! I was trying to say that reading the comments here and exposé books about VF led me to discover balanced choices such as The Well-Trained Mind. I should have written my first comment more clearly. My hubby and I may not homeschool our kids long-term (right now even preschool is very time consuming, trying to cover all the bases as well as an actual classroom) but we'll definitely be involved in whatever schooling our kids receive. I think the Well-Trained Mind is great, i was trying to recommend it in my first comment. :-) One thing I hope to do is present to my children a version of history and the world that covers all sides of the story, as well as teaching them about controversial things like evolution. They need to know about the battles for equal rights, and who all the great people are from different racial backgrounds; things that some homeschoolers choose to skim over. If my children pursue college degrees I don't want them to have to play catch up with what the other students have been learning all along. The people who use revisionist curriculum are doing their kids real harm.

Another thumbs up for The Well Trained Mind, the author has stood up to the likes of Ken Ham and other fundie folk and appears to be gaining ground! She is Christian but not of the young earth creationist ilk. She advocates a rigorous academic workload for homeschoolers and seems a kind and understanding person.

I do believe Doug Philips, the Tool, was just on The Rachel Maddow Show re: Noah's dinosaur they found.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show

And then navigate over to the

RACHEL MADDOW 05/27/14

Dinosaur find cited as proof of Bible story

video.

Edit to add: She mentions the Tool's resignation at the end of the video. Briefly, but it is there.

Conductor of a youth orchestra, gesturing passionately at the cello section.

Ok, I just made myself ill. :disgust:

Watched the Rachel Maddow segment and thought I saw Doug in that brief shot of about 15 men standing on a stage, apparently soaking up applause. But a couple of attempts to re-find it again were both fruitless. And I couldn't take much more of the whole shebang. Did anybody else notice 'Tis Himself among that group?

Did love that she included the fact of Allosaurus Boy's resignation. And homed in on the profit motive.

Actually thought this was a great piece of work by Rachel Maddow. It's an excellent & thorough demonstration of the wackery + hypocrisy + $$$ involved. The only thing I'd add would be to mention Doug Phillips by name several times, as in identifying his voice in the Raising the Allosaur clip and his resignation from VF. Certainly, Michael Peroutka looks like a total douchecanoe in this piece, which is all to the good.

Conductor of a youth orchestra, gesturing passionately at the cello section.

Ok, I just made myself ill. :disgust:

As a cellist that spent a lot of time attending various youth orchestra rehearsals when she was young, I lol'd very hard. :lol:

And you know what? A director like Dougie, who would passionately gesture at the cello section all the time is every cellist's wet dream. It really is the perfect career for him.

SBB has a post up about Lourdes' attorney - seems to be some question in the comments on how well he may serve her based on past experiences with him. I hope he does right by her.

http://spiritualsoundingboard.com/2014/ ... r-the-son/

I know the X-ATIA community is watching how he handles Lourdes's case with interest. I have my reservations as well. After following this for a while, I am beginning to think that the males around Lourdes view her as a means to an end...be that personally, professionally, or religiously. I am hoping Gibbs is not one of those males.

Another thumbs up for The Well Trained Mind, the author has stood up to the likes of Ken Ham and other fundie folk and appears to be gaining ground! She is Christian but not of the young earth creationist ilk. She advocates a rigorous academic workload for homeschoolers and seems a kind and understanding person.

Yes, I believe she's also spoken out against patriarchy and other fringe homeschooling elements.

Now that all this has died down for the time being, I started wondering what has become of TW Eston. He disappeared as suddenly as he appeared, and during his time over at Jen's Jems, managed to come off as much of a tool as The Tool. Everyone has pretty much assumed that Eston is Peter Kershaw, but I want more solid proof and I want his dirt out there (I'm only speculating about the amount of dirt he has, but I just get the feeling he has his share). Why did this guy have such a boner for Dougie? There's a story there! Somebody knows who the hell this guy is.

Am I the only one who is wondering about Eston? Am I just being a spiteful, nosy, vindictive bitch? Probably.

Now that all this has died down for the time being, I started wondering what has become of TW Eston. He disappeared as suddenly as he appeared, and during his time over at Jen's Jems, managed to come off as much of a tool as The Tool. Everyone has pretty much assumed that Eston is Peter Kershaw, but I want more solid proof and I want his dirt out there (I'm only speculating about the amount of dirt he has, but I just get the feeling he has his share). Why did this guy have such a boner for Dougie? There's a story there! Somebody knows who the hell this guy is.

Am I the only one who is wondering about Eston? Am I just being a spiteful, nosy, vindictive bitch? Probably.

I posted this link way back somewhere on one of the Doug threads. If you scroll down and read through the comments, someone mansions Kershaw, and whom should jump to his defense but good old Jen. It's not proof, of course, but It kinda cemented my suspicions of him.

http://whynottrainachild.com/articles/vision-forum/

Is there any idea of when the lawsuit will go to court? If it goes to court. I wonder if DPIAT will end up trying to settle the case. Even though he is totally innocent, of course. You know, for the good of the church and VF, and all.

I wonder what he is doing now. How is he supporting his family? Are they having to pay their own rent? Are he and Beall getting counseling to repair the damage he did to the marriage? Inquiring minds want to know. He is just too quiet now.

Is there any idea of when the lawsuit will go to court? If it goes to court. I wonder if DPIAT will end up trying to settle the case. Even though he is totally innocent, of course. You know, for the good of the church and VF, and all.

I wonder what he is doing now. How is he supporting his family? Are they having to pay their own rent? Are he and Beall getting counseling to repair the damage he did to the marriage? Inquiring minds want to know. He is just too quiet now.

Well, Beall Phillips updated her Facebook page on May 31 with a happy birthday message to Doug, and an all-smiles pic of them both: "Happy Birthday Sweetheart! How I thank God for your 49 years of life. You are my precious treasure." There are also several new pics of the Phillips children, and many comments from well-wishers, most notably Becky Morecraft.

Well, Beall Phillips updated her Facebook page on May 31 with a happy birthday message to Doug, and an all-smiles pic of them both: "Happy Birthday Sweetheart! How I thank God for your 49 years of life. You are my precious treasure." There are also several new pics of the Phillips children, and many comments from well-wishers, most notably Becky Morecraft.

Logged in expressly to say how I wanted to throw up when I read this report. That is all.

Okay, no, it's not all. If spouses can heal a horribly broken marriage, that's good. Okay, that is really all.

Seriously Beall. Dump his ass, even you can do better than that creepy rapist. He violated a woman old enough to be your daughter in your own home, while you and your children were in the house. Do people like that really change? No. They don't. You knew Lourdes and grew to like her, and then turned against her when you found out your husband had molested her, instead of turning on him for sexually abusing her.

Archived