IGNORED

Turkey or fish?

FJismyheadship

I am trying to eat healthier. I wondered if anyone could share any good turkey or fish recipes?

I really only like ground turkey if its mixed in with something, but I can eat fish all day. And turkey thats not ground. Yummy.

Anyways, anyone got anything?

I don't eat turkey, but I may be able to provide some fish recipes. What types of fish do you like? Are there certain cuisines you're more partial to?

What sort of fish? If it's freshwater, I have nothing. Sorry.

Heat about a tablespoon of olive oil in a no stick pan and sear a salmon filet on both sides. Add 2 cups of water, juice from 1 lemon, and 2 cloves of minced garlic. Turn down heat and poach gently for about 15 minutes. Turn off heat and add salt and pepper to the liquid, an additional tablespoon of olive oil, and juice of half a lemon. Serve with sauce over rice or couscous or even mashed potatoes.

Mediterranean Tuna Salad

2 cans of tuna, drained.

1/4 red onion minced or 4-5 scallions white and green parts, chopped

10 pitted olives, chopped

1/2 marinated artichoke hearts from jar, chopped

1/4 lemon juice

1/4 olive oil

Mix lemon juice and olive oil together. Set aside. Toss the rest of the ingredients together, mix in dressing, add salt and pepper. Finish with some fresh chopped parsley or basil if you have them. Serve on bread, pita, or even over a green salad.

• 2 weeks later...

Sea Bream

1. Gut and stuff with garlic, salt and pepper (if you don't like garlic, stop here)

2. Leave in fridge for ca 1-2 hrs

3. Wrap in tinfoil and bake

Sorry, I'm really bad when it comes to amounts of spice, time and temperature. That's pretty much my go-to for any sort of seafood, except clams/mussels.

Clams/Mussles à samurai_sarah

1. Brown onions and garlic, plus salt, pepper, parsely and herbes de provence.

2. Add white wine (enough for a broth)

3. Add stock

4. Throw in whatever you have, and wait for 5 minutes

5. Drink rest of white wine

Those two usually work with pretty much everything, except salmon and tuna. If you've got really fresh salmon or tuna, don't bother with more than a bit of oil, salt and pepper. For fresh scallops, a bit of garlic butter and a quick searing is good. You can also wrap them in bacon, but personally, I think that overpowers their taste. Squid and octopus...

I once got into a verbal fight over octopus recipes with a Greek friend. It got ugly. We're still friends, but have decided to never ever talk about octopus again. You're on your own. :)

I have gotten into it with family members over octopus and squid cooking. There are certain things in Greek cuisine where we are willing to scale the walls of Crazytown to defend our position. ;)

FMJ if you don't like or don't know how to gut a whole fish, just ask them to do it for you at the fish counter. It doesn't cost extra here. Then follow samurai Sarah's directions, especially the wine drinking step. Always makes the fish better.

Not healthy in the slightest, but Halibut Olympia: http://www.food.com/recipe/halibut-olympia-128949

I think I usually use bread crumbs or panko instead of the ritz crackers though. Make sure your halibut is fresh, and i've never substituted a different type of fish.

Here is the website for Seafood Watch: http://www.seafoodwatch.org/cr/cr_seafo ... tions.aspx

It's important to make sure that the fish you buy and consume are coming from a safe, sustainable habitat. For one, if you make sure to buy Alaskan Salmon, it will taste better. But beyond that, the environmental impact that certain fisheries have on the marine ecosystem is really scary. And because farm raised fish can be crowded in, they have increased levels of contaminants over the wild fish.

There are two ways that I eat salmon. I pan fry, or I grill it. Usually just salt and pepper, maybe a little oil.

• 3 months later...

Am I the only one who's going to stick up for turkey? I love ground turkey pasta sauce: brown a pound of ground turkey in some olive oil, along with 3 cloves of chopped garlic. Then add a can of crushed tomatoes, and a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar. Shake in some red pepper flakes and a small handful of salt. Right before it's done, add a big handful of chopped fresh herbs - basil, sage, chives or parsley all work well.

• 3 weeks later...

Fish tacos!

Either flour/corn tortilla, or lettuce leaf wraps.

Cut up lettuce

Make a warm salsa if desired- I use black beans, corn, and diced red pepper.

Pico de gallo

Little bit of cheese is optional

Baja sauce- easy to make but does add calories. Tbsp sour cream or mayo, milk to thin as desired, pinch of garlic powder, squeeze of lime juice. Whisk together.

Drizzle a little bit of olive oil, a squirt of lime juice, and some seasoning (I use a Cuban blend but any taco seasoning would work) on the fish, bake until it flakes easily. Tilapia, Mahi, flounder, cod all work well. Any white, flaky fish. Break the fish up into smaller sections to place it in the tacos.

Layer into your taco shells or lettuce wraps. Delicious and easy!

• 3 weeks later...

Pan-fried fish fillets

[i like ocean perch best, but sole and other white fishes do well too]

Thaw out fillets if frozen, and pat dry.

Add salt and pepper to some flour.

Add some butter and oil to a hot pan, and add some crushed garlic

Take each fillet, pat it on the flour on both sides (should give a light dusting), then place in pan.

Cook for 2 min on one side, flip and cook 1 min more. The fish starts to curl slightly when it's ready to be flipped. (More time if using a thicker fish)

Fish should be slightly golden on the outside, very tender on the inside. Since each ocean perch fillet is quite small, it makes a good appetizer.

Salmon maple balsamic dijon fillet

Big salmon fillet

Marinade of equal parts balsamic vinegar, grainy dijon mustard and maple syrup, with a pinch of rosemary. Heat vinegar and mustard together until it reduces, gradually add in the maple syrup. Let the reduction cool, then spread on the salmon fillet. Bake at 380 degrees until done. Use a big spatula or two to separate the cooked fillet from the skin and transfer to a serving platter.

• 3 months later...

I love salmon.

I once ready-to-grill salmon souvlaki in Colombia (South America). I had to wrap them in tin foil individually since the salmon was so tender and soft that I knew it wouldn't stay on the stick. :drool: It was amazing with the usual sides (tzatziki) and it was definitely better than with the usual bone dry chicken breast that turns into saw dust. Or turkey breast for that matter.

Here's a really fancy recipe to grilled salmon souvlaki for ya: http://www.theseasonalist.com/smoke-on-the-water/

But I just had salmon, bell pepper, onion cubes on a stick and whipped up a sauce using shredded cucumber and yogurt.

I substitute a ground turkey, ground chicken mixture for hamburger. I can't tell a difference anymore.

We eat a lot of turkey breast cutlets - grilled on the George Foreman. Also, grilled turkey wrapped in turkey bacon.

I've developed a severe allergy to shellfish in my 40's. (weird) Very scary stuff requiring a couple of trips to the ER and a week-long hospitalization. So, I have been reluctant to eat fish of any kind. I used to live on grilled fish.

• 3 months later...

I used to be a fishmonger at a seafood counter, and so I've cooked a lot of fish by now.

I'm a big fan of salmon since it is relatively cheap, healthy, and it freezes well...plus it is delicious. Trout and char are also very healthy and delicious, and they cooks almost exactly the same as salmon. For any of these three options, I like pan frying or grilling with a little oil and some lemon pepper. One of my favorite seasonings on most fish is one by pike's place called "Our own rub." It's a little sweet and a little spicy, and a little goes a long way. Miso glazes are also a good idea, though if you're worried about sodium at all I'd go light on the miso :) a recipe I like: simplyrecipes.com/recipes/miso_glazed_salmon/

Salmon burgers are also very good and, as long as you have a food processor, very easy to make at home! I've never seen a pre-made salmon burger that wasn't vastly overpriced, so if you have the patience it is worth it. The base for four burgers is just a pound of salmon, skinned and chopped into roughly 1/2 inch cubes. Take about 3/4 of those cubes and run them through the food processor until they are totally ground up. Then put the ground salmon in a bowl and gently mix in the cubes with your hands. Then add some oil-- a few tablespoons to 1/4 cup-- and a dash of salt. Mix it until it can be formed into patties.

At this point, you can either cook them plain or add anything you feel like! My favorite thing is to make Caprese burgers by adding some chunks of mozzarella, some chopped basil, a little garlic, and some cherry tomatoes cut in fourths (after cooking, this goes really well drizzled with a balsamic reduction sauce if you are feeling fancy.)

So, mix whatever you want in and then form the patties to be about equal in size, about 1 inch thick or a little under. These don't grill well directly, but you can grill them on foil if you want. I like to pan fry them in a little oil on medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes per side.

For tuna: get a tuna steak (fresh or frozen) and roll the edges in some sesame seeds and whatever seasoning you want. Whole Foods sells a really good sesame ginger seasoning that I like for this. Then heat up some oil (preferably sesame oil for this recipe) and sear on high for 1-2 min per side, depending on the thickness of the steak. I like my tuna really pink, so I usually only do 60 max per side, but it depends on your preference. Usually I eat this with brown rice and veggies stir fried in a little bit of teriyaki.

Wow, this post is a lot longer than I thought it would be. I'm sorry. I guess I just have a lot of feelings about fish... :animals-fishgreen:

Happy cooking!

Archived