IGNORED

Is Jana Dugger Courting?

LongDogMom

Hi, new member here. I came across something this morning on Starcasm...an article about Jana Dugger possibly in a courtship with "a young business analyst/family friend from Arkansas." Here's the link to the article: http://starcasm.net/archives/273030

Has anyone heard anything about this? Apparently she's supposedly in Northwest Arkansas working with doulas, so that was how they might have met.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be so nice if she was. Jana has been looking so sad (maybe its in her eyes) lately.

Well, Jana does seem a little happier this season. So maybe she is courting or has a "special friend".

Well, Jana does seem a little happier this season. So maybe she is courting or has a "special friend".

The creepiness of the phrase "special friend" genuinely makes me shiver (or should I say quiver...) it's no better than the word boyfriend so I don't understand why they say it?

I hope so. Of all the Duggars she is the one I think has been the most put upon and misused to run the household. I hope she finds someone who can help her be happy and fulfilled and realize that she doesn't have to repeat her parents' pattern.

The creepiness of the phrase "special friend" genuinely makes me shiver (or should I say quiver...) it's no better than the word boyfriend so I don't understand why they say it?

Male companion? Guy she's getting to know?

[q uote=ariel9]

Male companion? Guy she's getting to know?

"Gentleman Caller" always makes me think of The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams.

And poor Sarah! Her name has now become the byword for Sad and Lonely Spinster on the Shelf.

After raising her siblings and being a house servant, maybe Jana doesn't want to follow in her mother's footsteps and be a brood sow and helpmeet to some fundie man she would hardly know.

Jana is the oldest daughter that interests me most. She seems to me by nature to be sweet and genuinely caring. She also comes across as shy or introverted and I wonder how much her family really knows her. I don't expect much from her parents but I wonder how well her own sisters know her. I imagine that in that family the squeakier wheels get all the attention and she doesn't strike me as squeaking much. I wonder if they would take notice if there was someone interested in courting her. I don't see her being the type to even subtly encourage a guy and heck even normal "worldly" dating can be tough for shy types. I see them as assuming alot with her because she may not tell them out right.

She is also the oldest daughter and that has to come with pressure not only the baby raising and chores she's been saddled with at a young age but I bet she's expected to be the perfect example of a Gothard woman to her younger sisters.

Starcasm is known for regurgitating the speculations made on sites like these, which they did again with this "article." Speculating based on their articles is kind of like an internet version of the picture within a picture within a picture chain.

After raising her siblings and being a house servant, maybe Jana doesn't want to follow in her mother's footsteps and be a brood sow and helpmeet to some fundie man she would hardly know.

This. I firmly believe she does NOT want to start courting and have a gazillion kids. She seems like the smartest of the bunch and the one who is the most disillusioned with the lifestyle. Also, she has a free place to stay and the opportunity to travel and do what she wants. If she married, most likely money would be tight and she'd have tons of babies to care for. Sure, she has to help raise her younger siblings, but she doesn't know anything different. And a courtship and marriage to a complete stranger (even if its a 4 month courtship/engagement) is a HUGE leap that can be very traumatic. Just look at how Erin (Bates) crumbled under the newlywed stress.

Stay single as long as you can, Jana.

I'm new here and not always in the loop. Can someone tell me how newlywed Erin cracked under marriage as PP just said? I know she miscarried but was there anything else that happened?

I'm new here and not always in the loop. Can someone tell me how newlywed Erin cracked under marriage as PP just said? I know she miscarried but was there anything else that happened?

i think it's just a lot of unfair rumours because erin seems less 'smiley' than when she was engaged. well, she did go from 0-100 overnight in her relationship, got pregnant, miscarried and has to deal with her sister in law being pregnant with the baby the same age as the one chad/erin lost...

Honestly, there's nothing to really suggest that she did... in the photos of her taken after she got married, while she was on her honeymoon and then back at home, she did appear tired and less joyful than she had before marriage. That could easily be attributed to the stress of leaving home, losing her virginity, travelling overseas for the first time with just her husband, post wedding let down, suddenly being responsible for running a household (even if it is just two people) - and so on. It's a lot to take in. Some people can just roll with it, others have a hard time adjusting. She looks pretty normal and happy in more recent pictures, and considering what she went through with the miscarriage, I'd say she seems to be doing just fine.

IIRC, it was somewhere on Kelly's blog about how Erin was having a tough time adjusting. I think this was in relation to her being away from her sisters and family, and having to adjust to being in such close proximity with someone all the time. Couple that with a miscarriage, and yes, she had a tough few months. She didn't fall apart and go mentally unstable or "crack" - you missed the point of my whole post. I was being facetious in implying that when fundies jump right into marriage after short courtships it can (and usually does) lead to many problems down the road.

Also, when calling someone "PP" on this site, it does not refer to previous poster as you implied. It refers to the Pissing Preacher, Steven Anderson, and is quite derogatory.

Chad make a blog post that fueled the speculation also.

Does Jana have any interests? The doula thing doesn't count since that's just an excuse to chaperone Jill without inviting more public criticism. I'm not being snarky at all with this question, I'm genuinely curious because I don't think she's ever publicly stated an interest in anything other than family stuff. Jill has midwifery, Jinger photography, Jessa does the packing :roll: and homeschooling and is into hair and makeup. What does Janna like? What does she do that's just her thing to occupy whatever free time she might have? Maybe she doesn't want to get married--that would be awesome, actually--but after her siblings are independent enough what will she do?

Its one of those things right. On one hand, I'd love to see Jana get married and move out so Michelle should have to raise her own children. Except, of course, it will then fall to Jinger and to Joy Anna. But, then look at Erin. I know I've read a lot of speculation of why Erin looks so sad (If you think she does.) And the truth is that this courting does no one any favors. Not to be course, but what if she doesn't like physically being with the man who is now her husband? What if he's a bad kisser? (J/K) She is now stuck in this marriage with a person who she might find she doesn't like seeing first thing in the morning. Not to mention the downer that always comes after a wedding. Its all about the bride for so long and then its all over. (Thinking of that Friends episode.)

Anyway, I thought the 'she doesn't know any different' comment was really interesting. Jana may not know. But they have travelled. Surely she had to notice that the anchors of the Today show get more personal space than she does...

I'd never really thought of erin being less than happy now but when you look at the honeymoon pics she isn't beaming like Alyssa is in hers.

I'd never really thought of erin being less than happy now but when you look at the honeymoon pics she isn't beaming like Alyssa is in hers.

I don't know if we can conclude anything from that. Erin is 24, Alyssa is 19. Those 5 years do make a difference in how excitable one is. Alyssa is a teenager bubbling from first love, and I think she's always been very excitable. Sure, Erin isn't as reserved as Michael, but I don't think a lack of visible radiance is always of indicative of internal happiness.

Erin and Chad seem very happy/relaxed with each in all their photos, I think they are well suited to marriage. I worry for Alyssa for what she faces once the excitement settles down. I'm predicting she'll be gung-ho about having that first child, but when she hits 26 and already has 5 kids, I think its going to be a rough reality.

Archived