IGNORED

Duggars By the Dozen - General Discussion - Part 7

happy atheist

Fan-diddily-tastic. I wonder what Jim Bob and/or Michelle would say if someone pointed out that they are harming the world in that (per their beliefs) God made?

On a good note, the Duggars lifestyle and belief system makes my Very Catholic Upbringing look really liberal. I'm still a practicing Catholic, but not as in straight a line as my parents and siblings.

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Duggars are too damn lazy to garden. They have all that land and don't do anything with it. They also have a big ass house and don't do anything with it. They have enough room to add extra rooms.

And six months isn't a long time to get to know someone. I know people who have gotten married and only dated a few months, but to me that isn't enough time to really get to know someone. I guess fundies want a quick courtship because their kids might take their further than they should. Ben is still young. He should continue his studies, get a job/career then get married and have babies. Maybe JB and Michelle are pushing marriage on Ben and Derrick

Tonights show (May 27) has me really wondering about something. Several times on the show, different J kids mentioned how great it was to spend time together. Are they not always together, as a family? And separated from everybody else in the greater world? The older girls were even saying that soon some of them would no longer be sleeping in the same room with 8 sisters. And that they should not take for granted that closeness. I cannot imagine being anything but totally thrilled at the thought of privacy and alone time. It just boggles my mind, that family.

I see their point in a way. Once they're married, they have to spend time with their husbands and grow that relationship. Both of my sisters got into uber serious relationships in the last year and I know that its a lot harder for me to get together with them because their free time is now occupied. That's been an adjustment for me. We haven't even lived together for about 10 years now! I can't imagine what it must be like when your siblings are your main social group.

I imagine the little girls can't quite imagine the perks that might be coming their way.....like maybe their own beds instead of the slide bunks? Not having Jill and Jessa gabbing away all the time?

I expect it to be announced tomorrow to coincide with the season finale of the show (that's tomorrow, yeah?).

Ugh, ugh, UGH. If they get married quickly and she gets knocked up right away, Ben will be a TEEN FATHER. Either way he is TOO YOUNG for this (her too, but slightly less so). They are both FUCKED and not in the reason they're getting married so young way.

ITA. It's not going to be an easy life for them if they decide to stay married to the wrong person just because of their beliefs about divorce. And don't you have to be 21 to rent a car, get a hotel room, etc etc? (i heard that somewhere, but i have no idea because i was still under a fundie rock at that age.)

They seem to use paper/plastic/styrofoam dishes for every single meal, so I'm sure they have no problem using disposable diapers.
Oh yeah, no doubt about it. If they don't garden or hang clothes out on a line they sure as hell aren't dealing with clothies. Nothing about clothies is easy, or especially cheap (considering time, laundry supplies, water used, drying them takes an eternity, ad nauseam). You have to seriously care about the earth, or be really really broke to go that route. (trust me lol) Reminds me of my quiverfull frenemy... she is so smug (not on purpose, just as a by-product of too much religion) about being godly and doing everything "the right way". But she laughed when she told me about switching to disposables after their fifth and sixth kids (twins) popped out. At the time my hubs and i were dirt poor and struggling. We HAD to use cloth diapers, the cheapest ones, not the cute ones, and hang them out. And i KNOW my frenemy can't afford to spend money on their other kids. I grew up in a big family, It sucks to have to give up something because there are too many kids. Disposables for twins has got to cost a fortune. Who knows what their other kids have had to give up to make that possible. It made me see red. I haven't been able to really care about any other "struggles" she has since she told me that. Bitch, you made your own bed. :lol:

The Duggars are too damn lazy to garden. They have all that land and don't do anything with it. They also have a big ass house and don't do anything with it. They have enough room to add extra rooms.

And six months isn't a long time to get to know someone. I know people who have gotten married and only dated a few months, but to me that isn't enough time to really get to know someone. I guess fundies want a quick courtship because their kids might take their further than they should. Ben is still young. He should continue his studies, get a job/career then get married and have babies. Maybe JB and Michelle are pushing marriage on Ben and Derrick

This! Makes me wonder what their lives would have been like without the show. It's sad that they're gambling their children's future happiness for ratings reasons. I guess they kind of backed themselves into a corner and need the money now just to keep going. I hope it all works out okay for Jessa and Ben.

I see their point in a way. Once they're married, they have to spend time with their husbands and grow that relationship. Both of my sisters got into uber serious relationships in the last year and I know that its a lot harder for me to get together with them because their free time is now occupied. That's been an adjustment for me. We haven't even lived together for about 10 years now! I can't imagine what it must be like when your siblings are your main social group.

I imagine the little girls can't quite imagine the perks that might be coming their way.....like maybe their own beds instead of the slide bunks? Not having Jill and Jessa gabbing away all the time?

It is VERY difficult to adjust after your family is your only social group. I think the fame is going to help them in that regard, they'll be able to make friends easily no matter where they end up. But that's a two-edged sword too, because everyone they meet can watch years of their lives any old time. :embarrassed:

Edited to remove some mean things i shouldn't have said.

I hope Jessa isn't engaged. I don't think her and Ben are ready, theyre so young and don't seem very comfortable with eachother. I was hoping they would put off their wedding for a few years, for them to both grow and mature a bit.

I'm not sure that she thinks he's the one. Did you see her face when Mac asked her if they were going to get married. She doesn't show a ton of affection towards him. I just don't see it.

Did the Duggar babies get cloth or disposable diapers? I'm just curious, and recoiling at the possibility of 19 kids' worth of disposable diapers. About 3 years per kid, I imagine--my nieces and nephews were all potty trains at 3 y/o. I feel "guilty" just using disposable feminine napkins, but I have heavy periods and it would be very impractical to use cloth napkins every day, especially at work--no time to wash a cloth one and put new on, and nowhere to discreetly store the rinsed out ones.

Ahem, anyway, I digress...

Have you looked into the Diva Cup? I used to use it before my hysterectomy. I had horrible bleeding (fibroids) and my Diva Cup was wonderful.

I think Jessa and Ben have been engaged for a while now but are just now ready to announce it, maybe because TLC wanted to recreate the courtship for the cameras and wanted the announcement of the engagement to quickly follow what we're seeing on screen. It would certainly explain all the "Ask Ben!" stuff and the *winknudge* hints they've been throwing around about getting engaged--wouldn't that be a bit much if they were just courting?

I agree. All their game playing is just stupid.

Did the Duggar babies get cloth or disposable diapers? I'm just curious, and recoiling at the possibility of 19 kids' worth of disposable diapers. About 3 years per kid, I imagine--my nieces and nephews were all potty trains at 3 y/o. I feel "guilty" just using disposable feminine napkins, but I have heavy periods and it would be very impractical to use cloth napkins every day, especially at work--no time to wash a cloth one and put new on, and nowhere to discreetly store the rinsed out ones.

Ahem, anyway, I digress...

If you aren't using organic pads/tampons (and you should be bc the "regular" ones are full of chemicals. Pay attention to your flow when you're using store bought pads vs cloth) then you could always try the diva cup. I haven't tried it yet (cloth works well for me) but I have friends who use it and they love it. You just dump it out and rise it out when you go to the bathroom. You only ever need one.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming

Have you looked into the Diva Cup? I used to use it before my hysterectomy. I had horrible bleeding (fibroids) and my Diva Cup was wonderful.

It was so inconsistent for me. Sometimes it would be the best thing ever, then the next day I wouldn't be able to get it in right, so it would work its way out constantly.

Did anyone notice when Ben and Derick were building the stage and Ben wanted to race to see who can enter a courtship first? Derick said it was on. Hadn't he and Jill been in a courtship for 60 days? That's what the sign at the airport said......waited 60 days for this moment.

Did anyone notice when Ben and Derick were building the stage and Ben wanted to race to see who can enter a courtship first? Derick said it was on. Hadn't he and Jill been in a courtship for 60 days? That's what the sign at the airport said......waited 60 days for this moment.

I think the race was to engagement and marriage, not courtship... they were all courting by that point.

I just watched it tonight on DVR. I swear they said race to courtship. I deleted it when I was done watching it. Hubby hates for me to take us precious memory space with the Duggars.

Funny thing.....my 14 year old son saw her talking to the doctor and said "What is that lady doing? She has 19 kids already!" Lol.

I just watched it tonight on DVR. I swear they said race to courtship. I deleted it when I was done watching it. Hubby hates for me to take us precious memory space with the Duggars.

Funny thing.....my 14 year old son saw her talking to the doctor and said "What is that lady doing? She has 19 kids already!" Lol.

Ben said to Derick "you know what comes after courtship right?" and started doing wedding bells. Derick nodded and said "yeah". Then Ben asked if he wanted to race to see who could get there first and Derick said "you're on". So if you weren't paying very close attention, it's easy to get confused because they never actually said "marriage". The only word they actually said was "courtship".

I'm not sure that she thinks he's the one. Did you see her face when Mac asked her if they were going to get married. She doesn't show a ton of affection towards him. I just don't see it.

Agree with you on that one. I think they might be engaged, but I don't think she thinks he's "the one" at all. She looked very nervous & unsure when Mack asked her that, kind of the same face I make when I'm thinking "uhhhh what the fuck".

Agree with you on that one. I think they might be engaged, but I don't think she thinks he's "the one" at all. She looked very nervous & unsure when Mack asked her that, kind of the same face I make when I'm thinking "uhhhh what the fuck".

Is it possible that she was trying to hide the engagement? It's possible they were already engaged at that point and either Mack was supposed to be quiet or Jessa wasn't aware that she knew. That "uhhhh what the fuck" face could have been in reference to Mack knowing to ask that, not just that she asked. Just a thought .. :think:

I agree that the scene with Mack display uncertainty, but there have been several other clips that indicate Jessa is hoping this heads to marriage. (Such as the Duggar's on courtship video, "we're not engaged" and then Jessa chimes in "yet!" which implies it will happen.

Also, at this point, with her now using the twitter handle jessaseewald, I think it's near certainty that they are engaged.

I agree that the scene with Mack display uncertainty, but there have been several other clips that indicate Jessa is hoping this heads to marriage. (Such as the Duggar's on courtship video, "we're not engaged" and then Jessa chimes in "yet!" which implies it will happen.

Also, at this point, with her now using the twitter handle jessaseewald, I think it's near certainty that they are engaged.

I think Jessa's uncertain answers to the question are just her not wanting to look like she's waiting for a proposal. I liked the TH with Jessa and Ben where he was humming "here comes the bride" and she looked at him and he says, "what?" and she then also said, "what?" ... like he's trying to gauge her reaction, but she wants a real proposal and not just for him to assume it's a done deal.

(which, I think it very well might now be a done deal, but wasnt' when that segment was filmed).

BTW, did anyone else notice the comments on the duggarfam instagram photo of Ben and Jessa.. it's a pic welcoming them to Instagram, with a lot of people asking if that means they are engaged. One commenter claims to be Ben's cousin and claims over and over that they aren't engaged yet and he (she?) would know if they were. (it gets a little tedious... kind of like, "guys, guys, listen to me... I keep saying they aren't engaged yet!! Why don't you listen to me???". )

It was so inconsistent for me. Sometimes it would be the best thing ever, then the next day I wouldn't be able to get it in right, so it would work its way out constantly.

It takes practice. You do need to make sure its not folded once you insert it. You should also spin it around a little to make sure its seated.

My tip is to get a cheep champaign flute (something you can throw away) from the thrift store and practice with that. You can see and feel how it will look when its properly inserted.

Is it possible that she was trying to hide the engagement? It's possible they were already engaged at that point and either Mack was supposed to be quiet or Jessa wasn't aware that she knew. That "uhhhh what the fuck" face could have been in reference to Mack knowing to ask that, not just that she asked. Just a thought .. :think:

Agreed, it's very possible. Mack's a little kid, she wouldn't know/remember not to ask something like that, she's curious - just the way the little girl (Jordyn?) was when she spilled the beans on Jill's courtship.

I agree with others who suggest that her uncertainly was maybe trying to make it look like she wasn't necessarily expecting a proposal. I mean, clearly their relationship has changed in the months since that was filmed (I would assume) but maybe at the time she was a lot more unsure of where everything was going and what her true feelings were. Not that marriage wasn't ever the plan, seeing as marriage has to be the end stage of every relationship for fundies.

It takes practice. You do need to make sure its not folded once you insert it. You should also spin it around a little to make sure its seated.

My tip is to get a cheep champaign flute (something you can throw away) from the thrift store and practice with that. You can see and feel how it will look when its properly inserted.

I apologize, but what the fuckity fuck?

Totally off topic but I have been wondering this for awhile. I doubt anyone would know but do you suppose the older girls shave or shape their pubic hair? I remember specifically that I did not realize other girls shaved their nether regions completely until I was 14 and went skinny dipping with some friend in our pool at night and they were bare. I had many friends only shave once they found out their peers were doing it. With their emphasis on modesty I am always curious as to what sort of intimate details are discussed amongst the sisters or their friends? Any thoughts or am I the only one who wonders this?

In addition, what about feminine products? tampons allowed? Im not familiar with any sort of fundie practices in these areas.

I doubt they are even allowed to tough their lady buys with bare hands. Can't imagine shaving. Well It may help a clueless could find slot v to insert peg p. tampons are like sex.

Totally off topic but I have been wondering this for awhile. I doubt anyone would know but do you suppose the older girls shave or shape their pubic hair? I remember specifically that I did not realize other girls shaved their nether regions completely until I was 14 and went skinny dipping with some friend in our pool at night and they were bare. I had many friends only shave once they found out their peers were doing it. With their emphasis on modesty I am always curious as to what sort of intimate details are discussed amongst the sisters or their friends? Any thoughts or am I the only one who wonders this?

In addition, what about feminine products? tampons allowed? Im not familiar with any sort of fundie practices in these areas.

I totally wonder shit like that, too!

Tampons are a no no. You have to have your hymen in contact for your husband. As for shaving their privates I thought it. Touching yourself down there is dirty and a sin.

Archived