IGNORED

Duggar Fertility Doctor Visit

MandyLaLa

Admittedly I don't understand fundies or the whole leave it up to God to open and close the womb thing. Additionally I work in a fertility clinic and I am a doctor so I am biased. However I have a hard time telling the difference between IVF, medical supplementation to maintain a pregnancy, methotrexate to end an ectopic, Misoprositol post miscarriage, the morning after pill, the birth control pill, surgery (on the mother or fetus), chemotherapy , laser ablation of vascular anomalies in the placenta etc the list goes on and on and on. In every case people have decided to alter the natural course of things. Once people have decided to intervene then it is no longer in God's hands. It is one thing for someone to say that they personally would choose some interventions but not others and it is an entirely different thing for fundies to insist that the interventions they choose are Godly and good but the interventions other women choose are evil incarnate.

(To the other people here who would not choose IVF - I respect that choice and only wish Fundies would respect all women's choices.)

But they have the bible backing them up in all decisions so clearly they know what they're doing and you don't. You probably had student loans for your medical degree didn't you? Loans are evil and the work of the devil.

Seriously, though, they actively encourage their children - and others - to not go to college because they don't need it and can't afford it. They're completely against owing anyone any money at all. But then they go see doctors whenever they need something, like medications to keep a pregnancy going. So college and student loans are evil and unnecessary but medical interventions by doctors are a-okay :cray-cray: :wtf:

PS: this guy is just too cute. I haven't seen him here before :fsm:

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But they have the bible backing them up in all decisions so clearly they know what they're doing and you don't. You probably had student loans for your medical degree didn't you? Loans are evil and the work of the devil.

Seriously, though, they actively encourage their children - and others - to not go to college because they don't need it and can't afford it. They're completely against owing anyone any money at all. But then they go see doctors whenever they need something, like medications to keep a pregnancy going. So college and student loans are evil and unnecessary but medical interventions by doctors are a-okay :cray-cray: :wtf:

PS: this guy is just too cute. I haven't seen him here before :fsm:

They don't go to college because Gothard holds seminars at each convention about the hidden risks and evils of sending your child to college and allowing children to be out of your umbrella of authority. Outside said umbrella, the devil will enter their lives and they'll no longer be pure.

And he would tout that line because you can't expect people in a cult to remain in a cult if they're allowed to question beliefs. Education allows them the opportunity to question unless the education is by the cult standards. That's why all forms of education outside the home are frowned on.

I needed to boost my progesterone level to get pregnant. So until Kelly comes out and tells us exactly when she had to start progesterone, it's possible she was taking it each month after ovulation in hopes of being pregnant. That to me is fertility treatments. According to my doctor once you are pregnant and know there is a progesterone problem it's really likely to end in a miscarriage so it's better to treat the problem from the start.

You weren't taking something to get you pregnant. It was to keep you pregnant if you did become pregnant. That's the difference. Fertility treatment is to GET you pregnant.

My OB says beginning about six to ten days after conception is fine for the progesterone maintenance so it's definitely pregnancy maintenance.

I'm actually kind of excited for tonight's fertility episode. But admitting that feels like I'm saying I love watching fiery car crashes.

I'm actually kind of excited for tonight's fertility episode. But admitting that feels like I'm saying I love watching fiery car crashes.

Don't worry. We all hate ourselves for being so entranced by this trainwreck.

Don't worry. We all hate ourselves for being so entranced by this trainwreck.

Maybe but at least I no longer think its weird that I can't stop watching - at FJ we're not "weird" - we're normal. :lol:

I had an awful day at work yesterday so I only had the energy to PVR the episodes. I'll watch them tonight - speeding through commercials - that way I won't miss the hockey game.

Speak for yourself, I don't hate myself at all. 8-) I wouldn't say I'm entranced, either, but I have to admit I'm really hoping that next week we find out Michelle has definitely entered her special 'new season of life'.

I wonder how crazy Michelle will go once it sinks in that no more babies will be coming out of that overused sack of sadness that was previously known as a uterus.

Her parenting days are over because theres no more newborn babies. Just a load of boring older kids that she can make do tricks but doesn't get as much attention for. Theyre no longer cute for her, and don't satisfy her pregnancy cravings.

They should assign Jessa as her buddy to make sure she never gets her hopes up about another J baby.

"Maybe one day God will bless me with a baby..."

"NO HE WONT, IT IS NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN!"

:doh:

Why is everything they do on this show portrayed as soooo special and unique? They bring cookies to the first aid squad. Wow. They visit a school. My god, how amazing. They find out the sex, oops, GENDER, of their baby. Well, this is worthy of a live announcement on the Today show. Michelle stops her periods. Ordinary women take some estrogen and buy a Chillow. Michelle enters a special season of life. After all these years on the show, I think she actually believes her own hype.

On a semi related note: every time I open this thread, I get an ad for an IVF clinic.

Hey TLC, here's an episode idea for you: Get Michelle a Reborn doll. I wanna see her carrying it around with MyBreastFriend.

Hey TLC, here's an episode idea for you: Get Michelle a Reborn doll. I wanna see her carrying it around with MyBreastFriend.

I don't. That was fuckin weird.

I don't. That was fuckin weird.

Why is everything they do on this show portrayed as soooo special and unique? They bring cookies to the first aid squad. Wow. They visit a school. My god, how amazing. They find out the sex, oops, GENDER, of their baby. Well, this is worthy of a live announcement on the Today show. Michelle stops her periods. Ordinary women take some estrogen and buy a Chillow. Michelle enters a special season of life. After all these years on the show, I think she actually believes her own hype.

I nearly died at the bolded. I know it's a joke, but eating or drinking while reading FJ is hazardous to the reader's health. :lol:

I nearly died at the bolded. I know it's a joke, but eating or drinking while reading FJ is hazardous to the reader's health. :lol:

My health is fine - it's my poor electronics that suffer - Coke spewed all over an iPad is NOT good for the device. It also makes posting a lot less fun. My pc died last week so until I get a new one it's two fingered posting for me. I'm apologizing now for the auto correct bloopers I know are coming. :lol:

Oh and I'm watching my PVR'd episode now - I need to find the Duggar drinking game thread. Cheers!

As a product of IVF, I do get a little upset when I hear people saying they have a moral objection to IVF. It's like they are saying they have a moral objection to my existence. That's pretty hurtful.

My parents tried for 12 years to get pregnant. I am an only child. My mother was pregnant with triplets with me, and she lost the other two at 10 and 12 weeks. I am lucky to be here, and I am grateful for the technology that helped.

I'm glad that IVF is available and another option for hopeful parents.

I just had to respond to your post for another reason, though, a bit trivial... but OMG I am getting old!! I have an almost 17 year old kid,and know plenty of people who were doing IVF when we were in the conceiving part of our lives... but it just hit me differently to realize that there are adults on this board (or adults, full stop) who were conceived by IVF. I'm old enough to remember what a big deal the very first IVF baby was.

OK, back to the Duggars!

As a product of IVF, I do get a little upset when I hear people saying they have a moral objection to IVF. It's like they are saying they have a moral objection to my existence. That's pretty hurtful.

My parents tried for 12 years to get pregnant. I am an only child. My mother was pregnant with triplets with me, and she lost the other two at 10 and 12 weeks. I am lucky to be here, and I am grateful for the technology that helped.

As a mom of two IVF toddlers, I love seeing grown up IVF kids! I'm endlessly fascinated with the IVF process and that it's even possible. It's the only way I have children and they are everything to me. Anyone saying they shouldn't exist is nuts. Though, the process was grueling and draining, so I do understand people deciding to stop fertility treatments before reaching IVF. I can't understand a moral objection though. My kids, and you, SHOULD be here and without IVF they would not be. I should say though, even if I can't understand it, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. As long as they aren't trying to outlaw IVF!!

As for progesterone... after our embryo transfer in our IVF cycle, I had to take progesterone in case I got pregnant. When you do IVF you don't ovulate, if you don't ovulate you don't have the progesterone spike that you would have otherwise. You take progesterone until the placenta is producing enough on its own to maintain the pregnancy. I took mine until 12 weeks, but my doc told me I could stop around 10 if I wanted to (I was scared to!).

I have mixed feelings about the whole ivf process. I personally wouldn't do it. It would be too much for me to go through. To each is own but I've always had mixed feelings about ivf.

As for michelle what eyes if any does she have left. and I think Jim Bob should've been checked too. He could have low sperm count

I have mixed feelings about the whole ivf process. I personally wouldn't do it. It would be too much for me to go through. To each is own but I've always had mixed feelings about ivf.

As for michelle what eyes if any does she have left. and I think Jim Bob should've been checked too. He could have low sperm count

Even if he did, he would never submit to being tested. He thinks he's the cock of the walk with magical pregnancy powers. And It's too sinful for him to waste his potential children. Unless there was a way J'Uterus could hang upside down underneath him to catch the runoff and 'catch' another baby.

I got a big laugh out of how Josh "learns a very special lesson" when he drank some ice tea before having his wisdom teeth out because all those snowflakes had to have general anesthesia instead of local like the overwhelming majority of us. It's like they were trying to make it all out to be a significant life-altering lesson worthy of a moment of silence and awe.

They had mentioned adoption before on the show..but do you really think they would ? A person not made of their genes, someone they couldn't control and brainwash from birth..I doubt it. They'd never get a newborn, the waiting lists are years long.

They had mentioned adoption before on the show..but do you really think they would ? A person not made of their genes, someone they couldn't control and brainwash from birth..I doubt it. They'd never get a newborn, the waiting lists are years long.

Unless they do a private adoption, I don't see how they'd be approved. It's so easy to be turned down. If you don't have enough bedrooms, you can get turned down. They have one room per sex. Any agency that says yet would have to say yes knowing that any kid placed there would get tossed into one of the two pens. They're well-known for having buddies take care of the babies, and they just plain don't have the time to deal with an older child who would need, almost always, extra help and time adjusting.

The fundies we see adopting either don't have a bunch of kids, or they do, but most of those kids are adopted too.

I got a big laugh out of how Josh "learns a very special lesson" when he drank some ice tea before having his wisdom teeth out because all those snowflakes had to have general anesthesia instead of local like the overwhelming majority of us. It's like they were trying to make it all out to be a significant life-altering lesson worthy of a moment of silence and awe.

Is it really a majority who get local? I refused anything but general (which turned out to be a mistake because I react badly to it, but this was my first surgery, so who can blame me,) and I thought it was 50/50 as far as local vs general for wisdom teeth.

My doctor also said that general anesthesia for wisdom teeth isn't real general anesthesia... I forget the exact explanation, though. Did I say doctor? I meant an anesthesiologist explained this to me. But I was on morphine at the time, so I could be mis remembering?

Archived