IGNORED

Duggar Weddings & Receptions

toejamflipflop

Honestly, sherbet punch sounds amazing and I wish I could try every single one of these recipes right this minute.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a booze free wedding reception. We had a full meal served-Baked Ham and Roast Turkey with all the trimmings. Trays of fancy cookies sat on the tables along with candy colored almonds. On the tables were butter and rolls then salad added once the meal started. Coffee, Tea and Sodas were the drink of choice. We had a DJ and had fun dancing. Of course we had a 4 tiered wedding cake as the main dessert. Everyone had a blast. It was a good day.

The homemade kind squished into molds by someone's family? That's another staple of fundie weddings. So gross lol And almost always dyed in the wedding colors. These ones... obviously shaped with a fork. :evil: some are prettier, like roses. Still nasty. Like eating sweet playdoh.

IMG_7689.jpg

You can MAKE butter mints? That sounds like a fun project. When I was a kid my grandparents would have the store bought buttermints in a candy dish and I'd sneak as many as I could, since my parents were of the granola, whole wheat, carob variety. :D

In my area we always had the pastel colored Jordan almonds at weddings.

You can MAKE butter mints? That sounds like a fun project. When I was a kid my grandparents would have the store bought buttermints in a candy dish and I'd sneak as many as I could, since my parents were of the granola, whole wheat, carob variety. :D

In my area we always had the pastel colored Jordan almonds at weddings.

Here's the recipe, Mama Mia :D (for the kind Mennonites use at their weddings) Have fun! (even though i don't enjoy them a lot of people do love them)

post-10046-1445199912079_thumb.jpg

One thing I love about there being a fundie wedding is getting to hear what people in different areas or religions or lifestyles do for weddings. I've never even heard of these buttermints! They sound revolting really. And the jordan almonds always seem like a decoration you don't eat.

I can't even think of what favors most weddings I've been to did. We made donations instead and left a little card at each place saying "In lieu of favors a donation to St Judes Children's Hospital/Alzheimer's research was made." (causes dear to us). The only other favor I recall was at a destination wedding my friend gave everyone a silver luggage tag engraved with their wedding date. It was awesome, we still use it (super small wedding, so they could afford such an awesome favor).

A wedding I went to in May had homemade strawberry jam as the favor. I ate it with a spoon HA! (For the record, I am wheat allergic so I couldn't eat any of the other desserts)

I've had homemade butter mints before. They have a pleasant flavor, but for me, the more I ate, the more they grossed me out with their texture and aftertaste.

I've found that it's good to make them up, and then line up a few people to pawn them off onto. That way you have enough to eat one or two a day, but not so many that they go bad before they all get eaten.

I had a booze free wedding reception. We had a full meal served-Baked Ham and Roast Turkey with all the trimmings. Trays of fancy cookies sat on the tables along with candy colored almonds. On the tables were butter and rolls then salad added once the meal started. Coffee, Tea and Sodas were the drink of choice. We had a DJ and had fun dancing. Of course we had a 4 tiered wedding cake as the main dessert. Everyone had a blast. It was a good day.

:cracking-up: Dang I wish I could have been there! That's the kind of reception I'm use to :dance: I've also been to some with no booze and we still had a good time dancing and taking pictures. So far I have not attended any weddings where there wasn't food or dancing. Still waiting to get invited or crash a fundie wedding like the Duggars. Just wondering what it's like :think:

I had butter mints at my wedding. I did the store bought ones, though. I was married at Christmas time, so we had a hunter green and burgundy colors. The butter mints had green and red filling!

Butter mints, cake, coffee, punch, and cake.

Not fundie, but that is the way things are done in my family.

When my sisters were married (in the 80s) my mother insisted the reception be held in our backyard. The neighbors all helped out, and we have veggie trays, lunchmeat platters, jello-molds (ew), all kinds of candys, chips and nuts, a banging cake from the Italian Bakery, and of course, sherbert punch, butter mints and jordan almonds. No DJ or dancing, just mingling and eating. My sisters seemed happy enough with their weddings - they had short dresses and family, and they were happy.

When I got married in 2007 (I am 15 years and 12 years younger than my sisters), I said, "No, I want a nice reception, held at a hall, so my family can relax and enjoy themselves." Granted, we held our reception at the Fire Hall, but the food was AWESOME. We had a DJ, and dancing, and a cash bar (90% of the folks invited to our wedding were in their 70s and 80s and didn't drink). I also insisted on having my nieghbor's homemade anise cookies and of course, jordan almonds.

My surviving sister was very put out about my wedding planning as she compared her wedding to mine. Big difference is that she married at 24 with no money so my Mom paid for everything. I was 35, living on my own, and my husband and I were making good money. We paid for everything on our own.

I actually like sherbet punch. :lol:

Same here, as it was something we had all the time when I was in Girl Scouts. The way I've usually had it was with 7-Up or Sprite and sherbet. I also had it with ginger ale, and it's good that way as well. An adult version would be to add some vodka or rum to the punch.

I've only been to one wedding and reception where there was no dancing, and that was because the church where it was didn't allow dancing. It was also dry because the couple met through AA.

• 3 weeks later...
y'all are making me look up sherbet punch recipes now. From what I can tell, it's a container of sherbet (any flavor), 2 liters of gingerale, and a big can of pineapple juice. I haven't had it for about 10 years. But I think vodka would make an excellent addition.

duckpunch_standard.jpg

There's also a bubble-bath sherbet punch, which is made of blue hawaiian punch, pineapple juice, and vanilla ice cream. I'm getting a cavity looking at it.

Are those...rubber duckies?

Actually, I'd probably put rubber duckies in my drinks, lol, but I'm a dork like that :mrgreen:

My midwest family's sherbet punch was always raspberry sherbet, a block of frozen raspberries, and 7Up. Do they even make raspberry sherbet anymore?

I've seen some at my local Wal-Mart :)

Are those...rubber duckies?

Actually, I'd probably put rubber duckies in my drinks, lol, but I'm a dork like that :mrgreen:

Please don't give Jill any ideas for the baby shower.

I made raspberry sorbet recently which not sherbet but is still delicious.

ETA: Dancing, historically, has been tied to celebrations. That's why wedding receptions seem a little naked to some of us if there is no dancing.

Heh. Sorry!

They could have a VSE for the gender reveal where Amy shows up to the baby shower with pink or blue punch depending on what they're having.

I'll try to be good now and stop encouraging them ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Weather permitting, my wedding reception is going to be very informal. BBQ catered from our favorite BBQ restaurant, no band, but lots of music and dancing. No alcohol allowed because minor children will be present. Since it's my father's property, it's his rules. Besides most of the guests don't drink alcohol anyway. Instead my sister is making my grandmother's secret wedding punch, and there will be plenty of sodas, water, coffee, and tea. Nobody will leave hungry, and will be welcome to take a plate of food home. If there's one thing my family believes in, it's taking care of your guests.

• 2 weeks later...

Trader Joe's has a good tasting raspberry sorbet that tastes like real raspberries, not some artificial version of raspberry flavor.

Archived