IGNORED

Is Sarah Mally still unmarried?

gingerjo

Just rewatched the 19KAC episode with Sarah Mally giving advice on radiant purity. Is she still unmarried and waiting for Prince Charming?

I think she appeared on the Duggars' show three years ago and she was 32 at time. There is nothing wrong with being 35 and unmarried. I know several women who married between the ages of 35 to 40. But those women weren't fundies who sat around waiting. If you go to Amazon and read some of the reviews for Sarah's book, the 1 star reviews pretty much sum up what the book is about and how extreme fundies think about dating, courtships, purity, etc.

I hate to sound a bit mean, but I bet Sarah is probably upset about two of the Duggars being engaged and having a courtship. There are in their early 20s, while she is 35. It also makes me wonder why Sarah hasn't had any fundie young men interested in her. Her family seems to be well known in some fundie circles.

She is far too busy pestering the citizens of Cedar Rapids and Iowa City to get married.

tomorrowsforefathers.com/gracenotes/?p=12604

Wow. I've never heard of her before, but she just beautiful! One upside to not having the stress of raising kids, as well as no drinking/drugs or a bunch of late nights. I'd be shocked if she actually wanted to be married at all or perhaps she is gay. I would think she could have her pick of men if she wanted.

She strikes me as very immature. I can't imagine men in her age range are into Peter Pan types.

Also, I would imagine a lot of men in her age range are already married so her already small dating pool is minuscule.

I find this extremely weird that no man has pursued her. She's beautiful and obviously the picture of fundie perfection.

Wow. I've never heard of her before, but she just beautiful! One upside to not having the stress of raising kids, as well as no drinking/drugs or a bunch of late nights. I'd be shocked if she actually wanted to be married at all or perhaps she is gay. I would think she could have her pick of men if she wanted.

I have wondered this about some of the other fundies we discuss too. With their religion's staunch opposition to LGBT people I doubt that they could express their true feeling without incurring a huge backlash from their community. In fact some may have been so sheltered that they don't actually have words to describe their feelings. For women in this position - staying single while having a ministry that involves lots of young women might be the best (if very limited) option they have available.

We've discussed her family before. They are an odd lot, I think. Her sister is also very attractive and her brother, Stephen works for a newspaper in Iowa. None of them are married. You would think at least one of the three would have a spouse. They can't all be asexual or homosexual, can they?

In recent videos, the sisters sound like they are in their midteens in terms of maturity.

I've often felt guilty wondering if there was some sort of abuse in their backgrounds that makes the two sisters seem so immature and strange. Because I have never heard Stephen speak, I don't know if he sounds young for his age or not. He has contact with people outside of their religious sphere so maybe he acts less strange than his two siblings.

I edited this to add that there is nothing wrong with not getting married. The oldest Mally girl did write an advice book about how young women should conduct themselves while waiting for their Prince Charming. This is why her marital status a source of interest. Most of the young girls who read her book are hoping to get married and she knew that when she wrote the book.

We've discussed her family before. They are an odd lot, I think. Her sister is also very attractive and her brother, Stephen works for a newspaper in Iowa. None of them are married. You would think at least one of the three would have a spouse.

In recent videos, the sisters sound like they are in their midteens in terms of maturity.

I've often felt guilty wondering if there was some sort of abuse in their backgrounds that makes the two sisters seem so immature and strange. Because I have never heard Stephen speak, I don't know if he sounds young for his age or not. He has contact with people outside of their religious sphere so maybe he acts less strange than his two siblings.

You know, while this is unlikely, I have known people from families where all the kids turned out gay. Rare, but it does happen.

Does anyone know much about the parents? If all three adult kids are unmarried, could it be the parents are holding the reigns too tightly? That there have been suitors, but none were deemed appropriate?

I find this extremely weird that no man has pursued her. She's beautiful and obviously the picture of fundie perfection.

It happens sometimes. I have a beautiful fundie friend who just got married last month at age 42. She has an enviable figure, gorgeous face, is fashionable and has a very friendly, sweet personality.

For some reason she's never had much interest from men. I think it's because they are intimidated by her and afraid of being rejected.

Rather than "waiting for Prince Charming" she threw herself into a career as a D.C. lobbyist for pro-life issues. She was making very good money when she met her husband, who works fulltime for a religious organization that focuses on pro-life issues. They were engaged within six months and married less than a year after meeting.

They both say that if they had met when they were younger it may not have worked out as they were so focused on their careers. They seem to be very happy.

You know, while this is unlikely, I have known people from families where all the kids turned out gay. Rare, but it does happen.

The agenda is working! :lol:

I wonder this about the Arndts...

Stephen is adopted but I guess that the family could have had two gay/asexual daughters and ended up with an adopted son who isn't interested in women. Stephen might also just be quietly living his life and not letting his adopted family know too much about his life.

You can find Stephen's photography on line. I like some of his photos and it looks like he makes a decent living. He doesn't seem super fundie to me or to be very active in his family's soul winning activities.

Some people just don't find "the one" until later in life. I'm 40 and engaged for the first time. Also, it could be that gentlemen have approached Daddy Mally and were turned away. What flavor of fundie are the Mallys? ATI/IBLP, VF, or something else?

Some people just don't find "the one" until later in life. I'm 40 and engaged for the first time. Also, it could be that gentlemen have approached Daddy Mally and were turned away. What flavor of fundie are the Mallys? ATI/IBLP, VF, or something else?

They seem to be a mix bag of fundism. For some reason, I have impression that they were Calvinists but I'd have to read back through their posts again to be certain. The book the oldest wrote advises that daddy and the potential prince make all the first moves and the daughter just waits. Neither girl attended college but whether that was their choice or not, I don't know.

Stephen is adopted but I guess that the family could have had two gay/asexual daughters and ended up with an adopted son who isn't interested in women. Stephen might also just be quietly living his life and not letting his adopted family know too much about his life.

You can find Stephen's photography on line. I like some of his photos and it looks like he makes a decent living. He doesn't seem super fundie to me or to be very active in his family's soul winning activities.

Was he adopted older and still has contact with his biological family? If not, it seems rather silly to me to call his family his "adopted family".

Baby Cakes, I agree that it is wrong to call the family that brought him up is his 'adopted' family as if they are less important or legitimate than his biological family. However, we were discussing if it was possible for all three adult children to be asexual or homosexual and in that context, it is hard not to use the terms biological and adoptive when discussing Stephen's background. The Mally's not only belong to a religious background that glorifies marriage and children but one of the sisters wrote a book about how young women should conduct themselves while waiting for their prince. It is interesting that none of the three are married or courting. (My wording is sometimes crappy, I have to admit.)

It also makes me wonder why Sarah and Grace seem so different than their seemingly normal brother. I'd like to know more about their interaction with their parents.

:lol: it's funny, but both me and my little sister are gay. (That's out if six siblings)

Having seen a video of her, and thus heard her speak, I can totally understand why she might not have had any suitors. She's pretty, but once she opens her mouth? Total boner-killer.

But for all I know, she's the one who has turned down potential courtships. As it is, she gets to live in the safely predictable cage that is her parents' home, where she has no major responsibilities and is allowed to have a public "ministry" where she can tell other superannuated girls how to live. Sure, her corner of fundydom places a premium on women marrying and bearing lots of kids, but she can get around that easily enough by saying that God hasn't seen fit to send her a husband yet and she's just acting according to his will.

Given the attitudes toward sex and women's bodies these people have, I'd avoid marrying too if I was one of these girls (this goes not just for the Mallys, but the Botkin, Reins, and Maxwell girls, as well as Jasmine Baucham). They're expected to make the jump from pure, sexless, innocent maiden to obedient wife who never says no to her husband's sexual demands, and who joyfully accepts each pregnancy, no matter how closely spaced, no matter how hard it is on her, and no matter how many kids she's already struggling to care for.

You bet your sweet bippy I'd find a respectable way to bow out of that, and "God just hasn't sent me a husband yet, and all the guys who have shown interest weren't the one meant for me. I've prayed really hard on it, and sometimes I get the sads, but then I think of Jesus and write a blog post about it and I feel better. It's all in God's time, and I'm just obeying him, y'all." Who can argue with that?

Having seen a video of her, and thus heard her speak, I can totally understand why she might not have had any suitors. She's pretty, but once she opens her mouth? Total boner-killer.

But for all I know, she's the one who has turned down potential courtships. As it is, she gets to live in the safely predictable cage that is her parents' home, where she has no major responsibilities and is allowed to have a public "ministry" where she can tell other superannuated girls how to live. Sure, her corner of fundydom places a premium on women marrying and bearing lots of kids, but she can get around that easily enough by saying that God hasn't seen fit to send her a husband yet and she's just acting according to his will.

Given the attitudes toward sex and women's bodies these people have, I'd avoid marrying too if I was one of these girls (this goes not just for the Mallys, but the Botkin, Reins, and Maxwell girls, as well as Jasmine Baucham). They're expected to make the jump from pure, sexless, innocent maiden to obedient wife who never says no to her husband's sexual demands, and who joyfully accepts each pregnancy, no matter how closely spaced, no matter how hard it is on her, and no matter how many kids she's already struggling to care for.

You bet your sweet bippy I'd find a respectable way to bow out of that, and "God just hasn't sent me a husband yet, and all the guys who have shown interest weren't the one meant for me. I've prayed really hard on it, and sometimes I get the sads, but then I think of Jesus and write a blog post about it and I feel better. It's all in God's time, and I'm just obeying him, y'all." Who can argue with that?

I agree. Some people are attractive right up until they open their mouths. A beautiful body can house an ugly person.

It's interesting that most large religious movements provide celibate options for both male and female followers. I think it's a weird hypocrisy or dissonance that this movement doesn't really consider celibacy an option in itself, but recognizes that God may not call everyone to marriage. Since sex is a marriage only thing, those not called to marriage must be called to celibacy, so you'd think there would be some official option for that that still utilizes their talents and recognizes their calling. Some way to work as a minister for the religion. Some other option for those not called to be wives and mothers.

Instead, it's just swept under the rug.

:lol: it's funny, but both me and my little sister are gay. (That's out if six siblings)

Out of three kids in my family, (me, my sister and brother), we all had experiences with people of the same sex. I am the only one who is gay although the happiest I have ever seen my sister was when she was with a woman. My brother is happy with his wife. Just saying that it is entirely possible for all the kids in a family to fall further one way on the kinsey scale. Kind of like how it is possible for all the kids in a family to be straight. ;)

The Mallys spoke at ATI conferences.

Stephen was adopted from China as a young child.

Archived