IGNORED

Abigail: Missionary to West Virginia

GeoBQn

I guess maybe being from Maryland, she doesn't realize that most states are not as heavily Catholic as we are. But why be amazed that Protestants haven't seen a rosary? We don't use them. I married a Catholic, I'm sure has a rosary, I've never seen it.

The way she worded it, it sounded like other people at her church hadn't seen someone use a rosary before. Which I call total bullshit on. Starting in pre-school Sunday school, we had to learn how to say a rosary (cause it's a lot of memorizing for a kid!) and they kept at it until about fourth grade. In fact, I believe it was one of the requirements for being able to take one's first communion. And we were always told that you should say rosaries because it was a way of talking to Mary and it made her happy.

If you go to church at a quieter time, like on Good Friday at noon, you will see old ladies saying them. They dangle from tons of rearview mirrors. Do a lot of people bring rosaries to church? No. Nor do people brandish them the way I suspect Abigail does. But there is no way a Catholic who has received any sacrament other than Baptism does not know what one is or would goggle at someone praying one in church.

Also, has it occurred to her that one of the reasons the WV church might not have tons of rosaries and Holy Cards to hand out is that it might be, you know, poor? The missionary life, Abigail. It's full of sacrifice.

I think it looks like a donkey's butt and lol, I just noticed I could have said it looks like an ass's ass. Why yes, it is finals week and I am overly tired. Pardon me for acting 12.

*knowing I will burn in hell for saying this* I think that many, many of these random "Mary-looking" manifestations actually look like, well, ladybits *ducks and runs*

I'm totally walking over this weekend and taking a picture of it for you guys.

Hey, when I lived in Chicago I lived near that underpass! I used to pass it every day. I thought the wet spot was painted over a couple years ago by the City maintenance department. I could be wrong though.

*knowing I will burn in hell for saying this* I think that many, many of these random "Mary-looking" manifestations actually look like, well, ladybits *ducks and runs*

It will always be the vulva of the underpass to me.

It's like that drawing where you are asked if you see an old hag or young woman...only, I see both Virgin Mary and the ass end of an ass.

I just went past where Our Lady of the Overpass was a few weeks ago and didn't see it! Doesn't seem like it would be a fun shrine to visit, as I imagine the area is covered in pigeon poo and human piss.

I drove past it today, but had the kids in the car and also TRAFFIC, but it's there. It's changed shape and looks even less like a person, but there are flowers and candles.

There is a damp spot on my mattress and it was NOT put there by a virgin.

Abigail was surrounded by other Christians, didn’t work, and wasn’t in any danger – so of course she was just like a missionary while living in that area.

But she was discriminated against. Not everyone agreed with every word that came out of her mouth, occasionally people told her what hey really thought when she asked them, her family and old frieds are puzzled by her...

TOTALLY PERSECUTION

But she was discriminated against. Not everyone agreed with every word that came out of her mouth, occasionally people told her what hey really thought when she asked them, her family and old frieds are puzzled by her...

TOTALLY PERSECUTION

Well, that and her husband scared her with crime stories and discouraged her from walking to the library by herself during the day, or taking the kids out with her, because it was just soooo dangerous.

I could kind of understand that if she were living in Juarez or something, but otherwise she and her husband are both full of shit.

Abigail and her husband are both nuts.

I wonder what's going to happen to her 'advertising agency' now that she's moving...

Abigail and her husband are both nuts.

I wonder what's going to happen to her 'advertising agency' now that she's moving...

Oh God, the advertising agency. How could I have forgotten!

Isn't she also writing a book and running a 5k?

My guess is that the 5k goal is on hold for now. I do wonder about the advertising agency now that they are moving.

Even Catholics like me in the mountain state wish her a speedy adieu! Oh, and because we are university affiliated, all our friends here have at least a master's degree if not a PhD. WV is not my home state, but it is my home now, and it's better without crazy people who think they're superior and impoverished missionaries :)

I'm totally walking over this weekend and taking a picture of it for you guys.

I would like your post (and your dedication to the Free Jinger Hive Vagina), but the "like" button is broken at the moment.

We have some gang graffiti at the train station that looks vaguely like the Virgin Mary if you're really drunk and squint at it. I'll have to try praying to it to see if it helps Metro North's on time performance. That would, indeed, be a miracle.

I just remembered that there are two male Mormon missionaries somewhere in my general neighborhood in Austin, TX; I've seen them five or six times riding their bikes in short sleeved white shirts with ties and black slacks, black shoes.

I had to see this, so I popped it into google...I really think people are reached if they see the Virgin Mary in this...

I thought this was a joke. That has to be the most abstract Mary I've ever seen.

• 1 month later...

So Abigail has a new post up about her pregnancy. It looks like it's pretty difficult. She rambles. This is a test to show how pro-life she and her husband are. She and Jon are just super intellectual and interesting, doncha know (though she still has no idea when to capitalize something or leave it lower case, which drives me crazy), and they are not receiving enough support from others because they are persecuted. And she compares this to donating a kidney for her daughter. As always, I'm confused.

Did anyone catch this paragraph in her most recent post?

Ahhh! I really suck at anxiety. I'm actually okay at functioning in the moment of a crisis. Believe or not, I was the calmer parent while Tess was closest to kicking the bucket in the NICU four years ago. It's the "before hand" or "afterwards" that mess me up. It feels like perpetual stage-fright some days.

For a woman who is allegedly pro-life and has buried two sons, how can she refer to her daughter's life-threatening situation like this?

Archived