IGNORED

Abigail: Missionary to West Virginia

GeoBQn

Abigail and her family are moving back to Maryland. Abigail is excited to return to the "Land of Mary," and feels that her time in West Virginia was like being a missionary.

abigails-alcove.blogspot.com/2014/05/a-happy-spring.html

Abigail and her family are moving back to Maryland. Abigail is excited to return to the "Land of Mary," and feels that her time in West Virginia was like being a missionary.

Umm, is Abigail aware that:

The state of Maryland was named to honor Queen Henrietta Maria, the wife of England's King Charles I.

Charles I was, of course, a protestant king.

Wow, she is like a 21st Century Christy. Except electricity and running water and heating and the internet and...oh yeah, she is not like her at all. Well, except that their missionary endeavors are entirely fictional .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christy_(novel)

Umm, is Abigail aware that:

Charles I was, of course, a protestant king.

Charles I was Protestant, but Henrietta Maria was Catholic. And Maryland was conceived by Lord Baltimore as a haven for English Catholics. This doesn't make Abigail right though :)

Eh, blame her confusion on pregnancy brain yet again. The post before that one announced her to be 12 weeks end of April, cause you know, secondary infertility and all of that makes her life a hardship. Of course she was a missionary, because when is Abigail's life NOT all about her hardships and sacrifices?

Charles I was Protestant, but Henrietta Maria was Catholic. And Maryland was conceived by Lord Baltimore as a haven for English Catholics. This doesn't make Abigail right though :)

And Henrietta Maria was French and her father Henry IV converted from Protestantism to Catholicism to become King of France, in his own words: "Paris is worth a Mass."

I had no idea I was so close to so much crazy. We have a lot more fundies in this area than I would have guessed.

Eh, blame her confusion on pregnancy brain yet again. The post before that one announced her to be 12 weeks end of April, cause you know, secondary infertility and all of that makes her life a hardship. Of course she was a missionary, because when is Abigail's life NOT all about her hardships and sacrifices?

Wait, is she pregnant again?

I live in MD - can't open blogs/social networking sites at work, but hope it's not near me! I'm Catholic and she might show up at my church, but I doubt it's conservative enough. Guitars the the teen Mass! Monthly socials with wine and cheese! Bluegrass/Protestant music at some masses (which people seem to love though the cantors attempts at harmoning are painful). And one of our big ministries is to the local prison. Can't quite see her volunteering for that.

Trivia - since MD was founded as a Catholic state, we have the only state flag with a cross on top of it.

Abigail complained about some of the homeschool rules in Maryland when they lived there before. I wonder if she will start complaining again. The comment about her being a missionary to West Virginia came off as snobby to me. I can't explain why though. Abigail probably won't be completely happy in a lot of Catholic parishes. She hinted a year or two ago that some people at her parish had issues with her.

Um, yeah, WV is a very Christian state. The majority are Christians and I know a lot of Catholics too. Regardless, she was not a missionary because she didn't think Mary was spoken of enough. All forms of Christianity are the majority in the state.

Also, she is way better off money-wise than a number of other WV residents, so once again, she can suck it on her poor me, no money, we are sacrificing so much, blah, blah, blah bullshit.

I missed have missed the part where she was a missionary because of the neglected Virgin Mary.

Of course, I live in Chicago, where someone decided that a spot of water seepage on the wall of an overpass was the Virgin Mary. "Our Lady of the Overpass." Right near my house -there are always candles and fresh flowers in front of a DAMP SPOT ON THE WALL. I bet Abigail would be crazy about it.

Abigail complained about some of the homeschool rules in Maryland when they lived there before. I wonder if she will start complaining again. The comment about her being a missionary to West Virginia came off as snobby to me. I can't explain why though. Abigail probably won't be completely happy in a lot of Catholic parishes. She hinted a year or two ago that some people at her parish had issues with her.

The comment came off as snobby and ignorant to me too. Because first, there are tons of Catholics in eastern West Virginia. My aunt and her extended family live there, and all are Catholic (cradle) and attend a very large and thriving parish and I suspect don't need Abigail to tell them how to be down with the pope. Sorry Abigail, but you ain't the 21st century Saint Patrick.

Second, it came off like she was looking down on everyone who lives in West Virginia, as if everyone is poor and uneducated and she and Jon just blessed them with their college-educated presence. The town she lived in may have been bad (I suspect from a lack of planning on her and her husband's part when moving), but most of the far eastern portion of West Virginia is made up of schoolteachers, social workers, paralegals, cops, and government workers who can't quite afford the ridiculous prices of Virginia and Maryland real estate and so commute into the DC area. It makes me wonder if Abigail ever even talks to the people in her own community.

I missed have missed the part where she was a missionary because of the neglected Virgin Mary.

Of course, I live in Chicago, where someone decided that a spot of water seepage on the wall of an overpass was the Virgin Mary. "Our Lady of the Overpass." Right near my house -there are always candles and fresh flowers in front of a DAMP SPOT ON THE WALL. I bet Abigail would be crazy about it.

I had to see this, so I popped it into google...I really think people are reached if they see the Virgin Mary in this...

post-8463-14451998906555_thumb.jpg

It rained all morning, so probably pretty swampy over there today, so I won't take a new picture. However, rest assured that it continues to be a damp spot, people make regular visitation to pray the Rosary in front of her, there's always followers, etc.

And she's become (for some people) the patron saint of Chicago parking. As in "Our Lady of the Overpass, please let there be a metered spot by City Hall so I don't have to pay $30 to park in a garage for an hour."

Not that I would ever do this or anything.

Anyway, Abigail would be one of those people who sees Mary appear in a damp spot on concrete. And it would be a MIRACLE and no one would believe her, therefore she'd be persecuted for her faith by people thinking she was a little goofy to claim to see an image of the Virgin Mary in some random spot.

To me, the damp spot looks kind of like the rear view of someone bending over, so you can see their butt and a pair of legs :? And that small image over to the left looks kind of like a representation of cthulhu.

As for Abigail, this kind of thing is the reason I can't give any credence to her words, even when she's talking about her own feelings. When you say things like "being in daycare is just like being a Romanian orphan" or "I have a home and computers and private lessons and eat out all the time but I'm in POVERTY", you've already jumped the shark. This is just one more example.

I guess maybe being from Maryland, she doesn't realize that most states are not as heavily Catholic as we are. But why be amazed that Protestants haven't seen a rosary? We don't use them. I married a Catholic, I'm sure has a rosary, I've never seen it.

I had to see this, so I popped it into google...I really think people are reached if they see the Virgin Mary in this...

looks like a tombstone to me, if I was forced to describe it as anything other than a bit wet bit of wall :shrug:

Archived