IGNORED

When is Alyssa Bates getting married again?

missbrooklyn

This may have already been posted, but according to Kelly, ABC will be filming their wedding. Not TLC, though.

Why would ABC be interested? But Kelly says it twice, in the comments on her blog, so perhaps it is true.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This may have already been posted, but according to Kelly, ABC will be filming their wedding. Not TLC, though.

Why would ABC be interested? But Kelly says it twice, in the comments on her blog, so perhaps it is true.

I was just coming here to see if anyone had posted about this. I wondering what interest ABC would have in the wedding other than it being Congressman Webster's son it doesn't seem that news worthy for ABC to be interested.

I was just coming here to see if anyone had posted about this. I wondering what interest ABC would have in the wedding other than it being Congressman Webster's son it doesn't seem that news worthy for ABC to be interested.

Unless, ABC is pro Republican. It is not unusual for major cable outlets to become interested in a politician weddings plus the Bates who had their own show. So, yay.

Maybe ABC because didn't 20/20 and nightline do specials on the Bates? Maybe 20/20 is doing a follow up?

Well, if Congressman Webster and his family want to fly under the radar (especially in the run-up to his campaign for re-election), how are they ok with being broadcast not on TLC, but on ABC? Seems a little strange!

Alyssa was taking a few classes at Crown College but Kelly admitted that she wasn't that into it. She says Alyssa happily gave up her classes to plan for her wedding. It seems like preparing for a career or getting an education is optional in the Bates family, and something that is easily dropped when a Congressman's son comes along.

Can you imagine the reverse? Alyssa delaying her wedding to finish her college education?

Alyssa is young, but we have to remember some of the cultural factors here - in a lot of places in the South, people get married really young, and they're used to see older couples who got married young like them. I'm also from a getting-married-young culture (Russia) and my parents and everyone I know got married around 18-20, so they all thought I was an old maid getting married at 25! Versus going to New York City and hanging out with people who know think I'm crazy young to be married at 27, which I see as kind of weird.

I'm just happy Alyssa has at least been working with a florist, that could be a great skill in the future, especially with all those other young brides out there! And in Florida, you know there's lots of weddings happening and lots of reasons for flowers, and plus people actually pay for them rather than giving each other free favors all the time!

Alyssa is young, but we have to remember some of the cultural factors here - in a lot of places in the South, people get married really young, and they're used to see older couples who got married young like them. I'm also from a getting-married-young culture (Russia) and my parents and everyone I know got married around 18-20, so they all thought I was an old maid getting married at 25! Versus going to New York City and hanging out with people who know think I'm crazy young to be married at 27, which I see as kind of weird.

I'm just happy Alyssa has at least been working with a florist, that could be a great skill in the future, especially with all those other young brides out there! And in Florida, you know there's lots of weddings happening and lots of reasons for flowers, and plus people actually pay for them rather than giving each other free favors all the time!

I do hope Alyssa has really learned a lot working at the florist and that it's been a fairly regular job with responsibilities.

She seems to have good taste and is sophisticated for your typical fundy girl. I think she'd be great at something like that and it would be a good thing to have in her back pocket if they ever need the money. Unfortunately I worry that it's been a pretty sporadic and rote job (don't have evidence to support this, just a feeling I have). Plus she only worked there for a year, maybe less. Most wedding florists I know of have been doing it for years and have attended many workshops if not vocational school.

So, I got an invite to the wedding via e-mail. I'm not sure how, but I did once, several years ago, e-mail back and forth with Kelly over some fluff thing, so she must have had my e-mail address in a database somewhere.

Anyways, just thought I'd share. No, I'm not planning on going. ;)

So, I got an invite to the wedding via e-mail. I'm not sure how, but I did once, several years ago, e-mail back and forth with Kelly over some fluff thing, so she must have had my e-mail address in a database somewhere.

Anyways, just thought I'd share. No, I'm not planning on going. ;)

Wow. How big is this wedding gonna be?

From Kelly's recent comments, here's the wedding party lineup:

(Bridesmaids): "Whitney, Michael, Erin, Tori, and 2 of John’s sisters, and 2 friends (8 total). Addee & Ellie are flower girls. Rachel Leftwich will be singing. Greg Howlett will be the pianist, and she will have 2 violinists, and a cellist. Gil will be doing the ceremony. "

Interesting that Michael will be one of Alyssa's bridesmaids but was "too shy" to be one for Erin's wedding. Either her relationship with Brandon has given her more self confidence and made her come out of her shell a bit (which is definitely plausible and yay for her :) ) ooooorrrr Michael and Erin aren't very close/don't get along well. Which is much more fun to speculate about :D (but it's probably the relationship self confidence boost)

Wow. How big is this wedding gonna be?

Right? I mean, seriously, inviting people you haven't even met in real life and only spoke with on-line a couple of times? Yikes!

From Kelly's recent comments, here's the wedding party lineup:

(Bridesmaids): "Whitney, Michael, Erin, Tori, and 2 of John’s sisters, and 2 friends (8 total). Addee & Ellie are flower girls. Rachel Leftwich will be singing. Greg Howlett will be the pianist, and she will have 2 violinists, and a cellist. Gil will be doing the ceremony. "

That's interesting. Gil didn't officiate for Erin or Zach did he?

Holy huge fundie bridal party! I'm assuming that if there are eight bridesmaids plus two flower girls then there will be 8 groomsmen and two pageboys/ring bearers too. Why on earth would anyone want a wedding party of 20? When you add in the couple and their parents that's 26 people for group shots!

Not just a fundie thing. My parents had...wait for it... 10 bridesmaids and groomsman, two junior bridesmaids and junior groomsman, and two flower girls and a ring bearer (who was 9 months old, lol). I'm Greek and many of our weddings have wedding parties like that because we have so many damn family obligations. All the B&G's siblings are a given, plus in a lot of more "into it" families like mine its considered SUPER rude not to have a "stand in" for all four sides of the family, whether that be a first cousin or whomever youre closest to on that side. Plus, if you have a godchild like a lot of us do... in the wedding. All that doesnt even include your friends! Its exhausting lol

According to Bates family photos tumblr, he's 23.

I remember Kelly said Jon is 24 and that was last year. So he's close to 25 by now. He's cute, but I still think he looks like a doofus in his pictures. Kelly claims Alyssa is VERY mature for her age. I would have to hear someone outside their circle confirm this to believe it. But there are some mature "acting", young adults around.

I remember Kelly said Jon is 24 and that was last year. So he's close to 25 by now. He's cute, but I still think he looks like a doofus in his pictures. Kelly claims Alyssa is VERY mature for her age. I would have to hear someone outside their circle confirm this to believe it. But there are some mature "acting", young adults around.

Kelly also says that Zach is extremely politically astute....

So I got another e-mail from them. They are asking people to bring desserts, if they would like to help out. No obligation, they add, of course, but still a major etiquette no-non. :naughty:

Wow. Isn't this solely a dessert reception anyway. So now its basically a potluck?

Wow. Isn't this solely a dessert reception anyway. So now its basically a potluck?

No. Now it's basically a gift grab.

No. Now it's basically a gift grab.

I don't get it, man. If all they're really paying for is the dress (knowing Gil, he'll have gotten *help* with paying for everything else), why can't they spend money on a few nice desserts? Hell, go into Sam's Club and get a few trays of cheesecake and cream puffs. A few boxes of chocolates and coffee. You don't need to ask people to bring their own dessert.

I thought the point of a nice dinner and such was to say thank you to your guests for coming to celebrate with you. That's why we're having an open bar and a candy buffet. A lot of people are coming from out of state, bringing gifts...

My thought is this, if you need to ask for help with paying for all purposes of a wedding, you can't afford to get married.

Grifters never know when to quit grifting.

I'm appalled at a lot of the Bates behavior and the asking for desserts for the wedding reception is in my top ten.

Why isn't Gil's church or their old church making some deserts. I'm not the best cook but I have a few go to desert recipes that are easy and inexpensive to make that people love. I'm sure some of their fellow church goers must have great brownie or cookie recipe. I would think it would be better etiquette to ask maybe 10 ladies at church to make 3-4 deserts each, then ask guests?

Right now desert receptions are popular at LDS receptions and the ward puts on the reception on a budget(the same budget if you ask for finger sandwiches, desert or dinner reception). A desert reception gets you a chocolate fountain with cakes and fruit to dip in, various brownies and cakes and some of those jars of colored candies. I know that the spend $500 or less and usually there are 250+ guests.

I don't get it, man. If all they're really paying for is the dress (knowing Gil, he'll have gotten *help* with paying for everything else), why can't they spend money on a few nice desserts? Hell, go into Sam's Club and get a few trays of cheesecake and cream puffs. A few boxes of chocolates and coffee. You don't need to ask people to bring their own dessert.

I thought the point of a nice dinner and such was to say thank you to your guests for coming to celebrate with you. That's why we're having an open bar and a candy buffet. A lot of people are coming from out of state, bringing gifts...

My thought is this, if you need to ask for help with paying for all purposes of a wedding, you can't afford to get married.

My opinion: asking for help/people to bring things is completely acceptable....in lieu of a gift.

It is reasonable to ask your guests to provide you with one thing for your wedding. If they can provide a service, that can be their gift to you. If you would like them to assist in the preparation and serving of food, that is also a nice gift. If they are just showing up to join you for the event and eating your food, a physical gift is a nice exchange. I don't believe guests "owe" the bride and groom anything, but I do think it is severely in bad taste to just show up and mooch off the wedding budget without providing something in return.

However, I think one thing is really the line. If you're asking guests to bring food AND a gift....then it becomes a gift grab and it starts to look like you're having a big wedding just for the extra gifts.

Dear god, the congressman and his family must be mortified by some of these wedding preparations. Sending out blind e-mail invitations to pretty much anyone? What a freakin' gift grab. Bet they beg for money for the honeymoon or what ever as well just as at Erins wedding. Now wonder they are asking people to bring food. If it's anything like Erin's wedding, with 800 invitations sent out and no real idea of how many people will be showing up.....

Wonder if the ABC coverage is only the local news affiliate? Perhaps one of the morning shows.

Archived