IGNORED

200 girls kidnapped...for going to school

FundieWatcher

Just scary how easily these things happen in some of those countries. It makes me so sad for them and their mothers.

The sheer scale of the kidnapping is astounding. The terrorists must have had a lot of willing helpers in the school and the community.

The fact this isn't front page headline news everywhere and the international community is basically ignoring it is a disgrace.

The fact this isn't front page headline news everywhere and the international community is basically ignoring it is a disgrace.

I listen to BBC World Radio in the car a lot and they've been all over this story. It's really tragic, but sadly it's not that uncommon there - just usually not on this scale.

Right. Having a vagina is basically a crime in these places.

I also think it is not out of the realm of possibility that patriarchal fundies in the US could go terrorist like extremes. They have enough in common with these terrorist- little education, poverty, extreme religious views, hate the goverment, and low value of women.

Maybe a 3rd or 4th generation homeschooler or unschooler, who has been brain washed to believe public schools are from Satan herself, decides to become a hero in the movement and commits an act of violence against those involved in public schools. Human nature is human nature, and religious extremism seems to breed violence.

Bullshit. They aren't kidnapping these girls for ideological or religious reasons, that is smoke and mirrors. This is a huge criminal enterprise that needs money, and this one makes money by trafficking in slaves. It raises cash and is a payment system to fighters in lieu of salary. A mafia hiding behind a Quran.

This is a huge criminal enterprise that needs money,

Just like the leaders of our fundies! Rest assured the foot soldiers are doing this for religious reasons though. They have been convinced this is what they should do for God.

I listen to BBC World Radio in the car a lot and they've been all over this story. It's really tragic, but sadly it's not that uncommon there - just usually not on this scale.

I watch Al Jazeera America and they've been reporting on it as well. Democracy Now is also keeping up with it, but there really aren't any updates at this point. I didn't click on the link above, so forgive me if it was covered. There was a report about 24-48 hours after the kidnapping that the girls had been rescued, but that turned out to be false. It is a nightmare that I can't even begin to imagine.

Totally. I heard about it a full week after it happened, and I am generally reasonably well informed. I've seen and signed two petitions asking for U.N. involvement.

This is not the first time Boko Haram kidnaps innocent girls, just the first time on this scale. It's a horrendous conflict that gets very little media coverage in the west.

According to the Quran, it's legal to take sex slaves as prisoners of war in a conflict as long as they aren't muslim, so they do have backing from their scripture for their actions.

Boko Haram allededly also killed eight people in a gun attack on April 30 and a car bomb attack that killed nine on May 1. The group also claimed responsibility for a bomb attack that killed 75 people in mid April.

http://www.dailytimes.com.ng/article/bo ... awa-attack

http://www.voanews.com/content/suspecte ... 05810.html

Once you go down the rabbit hole of muslim fundies, there are levels of crazy that you had no idea even existed and in many cases they have the possibility to act according to their beliefs, it's just not some crazy talk on a blog. Most of the fundies we discuss here seem normal and sane in comparison.

This is not the first time Boko Haram kidnaps innocent girls, just the first time on this scale. It's a horrendous conflict that gets very little media coverage in the west.

According to the Quran, it's legal to take sex slaves as prisoners of war in a conflict as long as they aren't muslim, so they do have backing from their scripture for their actions.

Boko Haram allededly also killed eight people in a gun attack on April 30 and a car bomb attack that killed nine on May 1. The group also claimed responsibility for a bomb attack that killed 75 people in mid April.

http://www.dailytimes.com.ng/article/bo ... awa-attack

http://www.voanews.com/content/suspecte ... 05810.html

Once you go down the rabbit hole of muslim fundies, there are levels of crazy that you had no idea even existed and in many cases they have the possibility to act according to their beliefs, it's just not some crazy talk on a blog. Most of the fundies we discuss here seem normal and sane in comparison.

Agree, Agree, Agree. Boko Haram just claimed responsibility for another car bomb attack this morning. Finding sources that allow for a more in depth look at world issues not reported/under reported in our mainstream media, has been eye opening and challenging in many ways.

I watch Al Jazeera America

It has been a real slap in the face to American News just how good the news coverage by Al Jazerra is. There has been a deep void in non-partisan, straight-up information and Al Jazerra has stepped in. Sadly, many people here in America will let the name put them off.

It has been a real slap in the face to American News just how good the news coverage by Al Jazerra is. There has been a deep void in non-partisan, straight-up information and Al Jazerra has stepped in. Sadly, many people here in America will let the name put them off.

For realz. I catch their news by web, and it's always great. Their articles are incredibly interesting, informative, diverse and articulate. I read stuff there I would never see anywhere else. Their global coverage is unrivaled. And for headline news, you catch bits and bobs that go unreported by other outlets. Great all around. A++ highly recommend.

For realz. I catch their news by web, and it's always great. Their articles are incredibly interesting, informative, diverse and articulate. I read stuff there I would never see anywhere else. Their global coverage is unrivaled. And for headline news, you catch bits and bobs that go unreported by other outlets. Great all around. A++ highly recommend.

Yes. LINK TV is also a good source as well as Free Speech TV. I also look at Al Jazeera English online. The videos are blocked from to the USA, but you can read the news coverage online. I wanted to see the difference, if any, in what we are given for news America vs English.

I think probably one of the most important things I learned in grad school was how to vet and analyze sources of information. Looking at perspective, motive, premise, conflict of interest, agenda etc, increasing the ability to think critically...

This story is so sad. I'm a bit mad that it isn't talked about more in the media. Based on the other kidnapping that occurred before, it's believed the girls are forced to convert to Islam and marry djihadists or other members close to the group. :( These poor little babies. My heart aches.

Here is a good piece of photojournalism. A protest was held this week to press the government to hasten the research for the girls.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jinamoore/women ... 00-kidnapp (not breaking the link because it's Buzzfeed)

Things are really going down hill in this area of Africa in the last few weeks. Two Italian priests and a Canadian Nun were also abducted on the night of April 5th in Northern Cameron, near the border with Nigeria. Boko Haram didn't release any statement about it. But many observers blame the group because the way they were abducted seems like a signature move. I actually work for the Sisters of Notre-Dame (Sister Gilberte Bussiere who was abducted is part of that order) and they are very scared and anxious. They have literally no news at all for the past 4 weeks. Sister Gilberte is 74 years old and had been working in Cameroon since 1979, mainly teaching and opening schools :-/

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/boko-haram-nigerian-terror-group-sells-girls-slavery-n93951?ocid=msnhp&pos=1

Reglious fundies. They are against girls going to school. They think a woman's place is in the home. They hate the goverment.

I'm trying to think, where I have heard of people with simliar ideas in America...hmmm? :think:

A fundie is a fundie is a fundie. It doesn't matter what they call their god, they are all alike.

Boko Haram translates roughly to "Non-Islamic education is sinful". Not hard to figure out their agenda.

Bullshit. They aren't kidnapping these girls for ideological or religious reasons, that is smoke and mirrors. This is a huge criminal enterprise that needs money, and this one makes money by trafficking in slaves. It raises cash and is a payment system to fighters in lieu of salary. A mafia hiding behind a Quran.

Agreed. The "marketing" campaign that this group is using might center on religion, but deep down, it's all about money.

How terrible for those girls and their families.

So much fuckin' word. I have yet to see any of the news programs on network TV discuss this pressing and horrific issue. Sure, Barbara Walters can interview Donald Starling's side piece V. Stiviano on 20/20 but the damn show can't investigate this? Seriously, WTF? Sometimes I hate the media so damn much.

You know how I found out about this issue? I found out by watching Felonious Munk, stand-up comic and social/political commentator from Touch Vision.

nxD3bt-SVjk

And the PBS lady-focused news program "To the Contrary" covered this on their program, too.

As for The Today Show, 20/20, Nightline, etc. Nothing that I can recall.

The US sticks its nose into the business of other countries all the damned time, even when we're not wanted. Look at Vietnam. Why the hell are we doing nothing about this?

The US sticks its nose into the business of other countries all the damned time, even when we're not wanted. Look at Vietnam. Why the hell are we doing nothing about this?

What exactly is it that we are supposed to do? This isn't a government that can be sanctioned, their army is in no fixed place to bomb...The UN would have the same problem-what can they actually do? Guard every school? Sure, but someone has to pay for that and provide troops. This is not a problem that lends itself to an easy or obvious solution that can be implemented by outsiders.

The reports I've seen did mention these girls were kidnapped to sell. :(

Archived