IGNORED

Urgent! Whiskey Question.

kpmom

O.K., it's urgent because the Kentucky Derby is Saturday and I am making mint juleps for the first time.

I have several different kinds of whiskey, Crown Royal and Johnny Walker Black (which I think are both scotch whiskeys).

I also have Canadian Club and Canadian Mist (which I think are scotch whiskeys too?). And I have some Jack Daniels.

But, I don't have any bourbon whiskey.

Which of the above would be best in mint juleps in lieu of bourbon?

Any of those would be fine, IMO. Bourbon just means American Whiskey, and made from at least 51% corn. As far as I know, Canadian Club, Crown, and Jack are all blended whiskeys. You're mixing it with a ton of sugar, mint, and ice, so it's not like you need anything expensive. Last time I made Mint Juleps, I think I used Maker's Mark.

If I had to choose between the choices given, I think I would go with the Jack Daniels or the Johnny Walker.

Thanks Maggie Mae. I hadn't thought about the whiskey taste being overwhelmed by the sugar and mint. Makes sense.

I think I'll go with Jack.

Jack Daniels would be the most bourbon like option.

I definitely would not use any Scotch. It might not hurt to make a mint julep out of it as an experiment, but you wouldn't want to serve guests a Scotch-made julep. To me, Scotch has a very distinctive taste and it's not used in as many cocktails as bourbon or Canadian whiskey are.

Bourbon is considered one of the four basic food groups of Southerners along with butter, flour and sugar. Bourbon pecan cake has all four groups.

i would make a test run on each if you want but i would suggest the jack or the walker.

Um... recipe, please!

I'll have to see if I still have the recipe. I read that quote in the late, lamented Southern magazine years ago.

If I can find a recipe, I'll post it here.

Archived