IGNORED

Is there a fundy location directory?

DGayle

Not their addresses, but general area. I'm new to where I now live, and I keep seeing people with big hair, white sneakers, and frumpers, and wonder if any could be around here. I have a friend in another state asking if I know of any around her too.

If you live in the Deep South like me, they are all around. I'm from Alabama, and they are everywhere. Most fundies I know don't belong to groups like ATI or the former VF. They tend to be IFB, Pentecostal, Assembly of God, Church of Christ, etc. But don't let the clothing fool you. It's the hate that spews from their mouths.

You could always just ask directly, in the guise of wanting a good church to join. Another good way to find out is to check their blogs and websites and to see if any known fundies are coming to visit a city near you. Apparently, I am actually neck-deep in fundie visits and organizations here in Texas, but I keep missing them. Most of them I find out about here on FJ, and then when I can go see them, I'm usually too lazy to want to make the drive. ;)

Living in a dry county also tends to attract fundie visitors (the Duggars chose to visit a town in my state, probably because it didn't sell liquor anywhere except for in restaurants). And of course, having a scandal always helps - I've been hearing a whole lot about Doug Philips (who is a tool and much worse) since his scandal made headlines here.

If you go online many community websites have church directories. A Pentecostal or IFB congregation could be your likely culprits.

I think it's an urban vs. rural thing too. I live in a large city, and my local fundies are Hasidic Jews. Certain parts of the Midwest your fundies are likely Mennonite or Amish. In the southwest you have FLDS, and in the south you have your garden variety Baptist/Pentecostal. But of course, there is a lot of geographical crossover!

Not sure if any particular area has a large population of fundie Catholics...the only place I can think of is areas of SE Nebraska. I'm sure there could be others.

If you go online many community websites have church directories. A Pentecostal or IFB congregation could be your likely culprits.

I think it's an urban vs. rural thing too. I live in a large city, and my local fundies are Hasidic Jews. Certain parts of the Midwest your fundies are likely Mennonite or Amish. In the southwest you have FLDS, and in the south you have your garden variety Baptist/Pentecostal. But of course, there is a lot of geographical crossover!

Not sure if any particular area has a large population of fundie Catholics...the only place I can think of is areas of SE Nebraska. I'm sure there could be others.

Actually the DC area has a decent-sized fundie Catholic population. I think it's because the Arlington Diocese in VA is conservative overall, and you can also find Latin-only congregations, Opus Dei, etc.. around here.

For Protestant Fundies, searching the NFCIC and 9Marks directories will show you where to find some fundie/fundie-lite types of churches, though the directories are by no means exhaustive.

Where I live (southwestern Ontario) the long skirts and running shoes almost always signal Mennonite. They don't favour big hair, though.

Can be Pentacostal, Church of God, HOliness etc as well as those mentioned. ATI/IBLP has a directory of member families.

South Florida has a large Catholic population, probably because Cubans tend to be Catholic although I know quite a few Jewbans.

Could they Orthodox Jews. They usually wear sneakers w/ long skirts. Also the hair if they r Orthodox Jews might be wigs.

Also in the southwest, there are other polygamist groups that only allow consenting adults to participate, so they have nothing to do with the FLDS. They might look like other fundies in that they wear frumpers or long skirts.

Actually the DC area has a decent-sized fundie Catholic population. I think it's because the Arlington Diocese in VA is conservative overall, and you can also find Latin-only congregations, Opus Dei, etc.. around here.

For Protestant Fundies, searching the NFCIC and 9Marks directories will show you where to find some fundie/fundie-lite types of churches, though the directories are by no means exhaustive.

Coeur D'Alene Idaho is a hotbed of traditionalist, fundie Catholic activity.

And yes, I live in the DC area and there are several churches with Latin only congregations, such as St. Athanasius in Vienna (I'm not sure if they've broken away from the RC Church yet though). I don't recall running into any Catholic fundies in my day to day life though.

Come down to Prince William! Fundie Catholics are a big reason for Bob Marshall's political career there.

Coeur D'Alene Idaho is a hotbed of traditionalist, fundie Catholic activity.

And yes, I live in the DC area and there are several churches with Latin only congregations, such as St. Athanasius in Vienna (I'm not sure if they've broken away from the RC Church yet though). I don't recall running into any Catholic fundies in my day to day life though.

Come down to Prince William! Fundie Catholics are a big reason for Bob Marshall's political career there.

Reposting b/c I screwed up the Quote function last time.

Archived