IGNORED

Doug Phillips is a Tool and Vision Forum is Dead - Part 8

Boogalou

I grew up with A Beka textbooks, not Bob Jones, but I too remember a lot of history lessons that turned out to be not very accurate once I joined the real world and went to college. A little off-topic, but The Wonkette did a hilarious and very revealing series on the historical inaccuracies of BJ and A Beka history books starting here: http://wonkette.com/481427/things-you-c ... eal-part-i (not broken b/c it's an ungodly secular satire site, ya know).

Very good points all! And this is the sort of stuff that DPIAT/R was shoving down people's throats as well!

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It could be that exerting control with a side order of humiliation and loyalty-testing was all Doug did with men.

There could be many levels and layers to his disgusting behavior, based on age, gender, and what the relationship was. His needs for manic outlet, control, narcissistic supply, sexual stimulation/satisfaction, and/or sadistic pleasure could be very complex.

He could have humiliated Beall, or kept it all from her for as long as he could, out of respect for her (hey, it's unlikely, but possible) or because he reveled in knowing he was fooling her.

He could have been creepily controlling with his children, but never sexual.

He could have played favorites, so that some of his children have no clue that Dad is not a decent guy -- maybe even all of them. In a huge house, with care of the children left to women, his contact with them could have been something he controlled enough so that he was always "on" and in character as the loving patriarch with all or some of them.

He could be one of those "aw, can't you take a little teasing" assholes about the lesser humiliations he put people through, utterly clueless about others' standards and boundaries (which doesn't make him less evil -- I've just noticed that some narcissistic types seem to be genuinely clueless about this, even when they can dish it out but not take it).

He could have escalated what he did, whether sexual or cruel, if someone didn't kowtow, or he felt they had crossed him.

He could have carefully divided who saw the asshole behind the curtain and who didn't -- while I'm as suspicious as most about a lot of the "we had no idea" BS, some of those people who acted shocked might actually have been shocked.

He could have been doing what he did to Lourdes to dozens of people.

Really, any combination is possible -- any direction we steer the ISB could be correct. :cry:

But I think one thing is clear -- he loved to control everyone and everything he could, and he craved being the center of everyone's world.

Most important, I hope that, if there is anyone else besides Lourdes to whom he did something actionable, that they go after him, as well.

You NEVER know how you are going to react until the moment is upon you. Women who say they would leave a cheaing spouse, sometimes stay and forgive. Women who say they would kick someone in the balls, sometimes freeze. Brave women sometimes feel incredibly guilty after an assault....our reactions to these stressful and degrading and violent situations are varied and unpredictable and it is not something to judge in others.

This has been true in my experience. I was one of those who always said I would kick an abusive guy to the curb, yet when I found myself in an abusive relationship, I put up with waaayy more than I should have. Why? It was a combination of shame and embarrassment over being in the situation. My ex had a very "nice guy" front he put on to many people so the few who did know about it, some of them questioned that he was really capable of this, though a couple of friends came around after they watched his behaviour a bit more closely.

Also abuse comes in different forms and what I put up with was more of the more subtle mental / emotional type than physical though there was that too. And the mindf**k that that comes from the mental / emotional type is not to be underestimated. Add to going through some rough personal times made me very vulnerable, a fact that my ex knew and exploited.

If this can happen to more independent women, then women raised as sheltered fundies and buying into the whole submission mindset are even more vulnerable.

Did we lose Westchamps at last or is he off reading Curious' link and using his intellectual mind to discover that when it comes to the Bible verses about child discipline things are not as they seem when reading the English translation?

Did we lose Westchamps at last or is he off reading Curious' link and using his intellectual mind to discover that when it comes to the Bible verses about child discipline things are not as they seem when reading the English translation?

He could be celebrating Easter observing Resurrection Sunday.

I did remind him at one point on Good Friday that he was spending the day his Lord died for him defending the actions of a person of whom his Lord would most certainly not approve.

Perhaps he discovered a conscience, or a sense of decorum, or some idea of the incongruity of his words and actions with his profession of Christianity.

One can hope ...

Holy cow :pink-shock: I'm in Pflugerville, about 5 miles from there. Somehow I don't think they would take kindly to a (tattooed, pant-wearing, agnostic) woman showing up without her headship, though.

But I can recommend the margaritas there :lol:

ETA: I am flying out on a business trip Monday morning. I promise to keep an eye out for them in the Austin airport and take notes as necessary.

Lemonhead, I'm just south of you. It could have been worth the bill to have bought a round and had it sent to their table. :D

Alas, it sounds like a penis-centric gathering:

Come join the NCFIC and other church leaders in your area for a gathering of fellowship, encouragement, prayer and instruction. Please feel free to bring your sons or other men you might be discipling for leadership.

Alternately, you could run over to Burnet next week to hear Stephen Hopkins preach at Sunday services, at the Friendly™ "Burnet Bible Church, Texas, founded in the summer of 1996. BBC embraces the 2nd London Baptist Confession of Faith of 1689. He and his wife, Sandra, have sixteen children and live on a small farm in the Texas hill country. Steve operates a small business with his sons, buying and selling government pre-owned vehicles. His wife and daughters add to the family income by raising and selling champion bred Golden Retrievers from home. Steve is a former U.S. Senate candidate and General Manager of KFGG Radio 101.9 FM in Marble Falls, Texas. His passions are family worship, open air preaching, and defense of preborn children. Men from BBC have an ongoing local presence at nearby abortion clinics, and the ladies and daughters of BBC counsel with local pregnant teens."

Darn, I forgot about it being Easter weekend! I know, I live under a rock. I'm hoping Westchamps found the other thread locked, and couldn't find this one :lol:

I just had a thought (don't anyone hurt themselves falling over) ;)

How does this news about Doug fit in with what KISA told us long ago? Do we need to re-read his posts with this new information in mind? Or has someone already thought of this in one of the other threads I didn't read?

I can't remember exactly what KISA said about Doug except that he was all innocent and naïve, which, I'm pretty sure these revelations show that is untrue.

All I remember about KISA was his pining of Kelly Bradrick and taking smack about BRADRICK!! (clearly he had a thing for Kelly)

Lemonhead, I'm just south of you. It could have been worth the bill to have bought a round and had it sent to their table. :D

Alas, it sounds like a penis-centric gathering:

Come join the NCFIC and other church leaders in your area for a gathering of fellowship, encouragement, prayer and instruction. Please feel free to bring your sons or other men you might be discipling for leadership.

Alternately, you could run over to Burnet next week to hear Stephen Hopkins preach at Sunday services, at the Friendly™ "Burnet Bible Church, Texas, founded in the summer of 1996. BBC embraces the 2nd London Baptist Confession of Faith of 1689. He and his wife, Sandra, have sixteen children and live on a small farm in the Texas hill country. Steve operates a small business with his sons, buying and selling government pre-owned vehicles. His wife and daughters add to the family income by raising and selling champion bred Golden Retrievers from home. Steve is a former U.S. Senate candidate and General Manager of KFGG Radio 101.9 FM in Marble Falls, Texas. His passions are family worship, open air preaching, and defense of preborn children. Men from BBC have an ongoing local presence at nearby abortion clinics, and the ladies and daughters of BBC counsel with local pregnant teens."

Egads! Doesn't that sound like a delightful place to worship? Whenever a business/ church feels the need to advertise their friendliness, it sends up a huge red flag for me!

Also, I didn't know "defense of preborn children" was considered like, a hobby these days. I wish these folks could put some of their manic energy into caring for people who are actually already living on earth.

All I remember about KISA was his pining of Kelly Bradrick and taking smack about BRADRICK!! (clearly he had a thing for Kelly)

I also remember him talking about how wildly in love and romantic Doug was with Beall.

I always figured that, at best, 80% of what he said was embellished to the point it was unrecognisable (w the remaining 20% being biased), at worst, it was pure bull shit.

How much of what he said _was_ actually accurate?

Any guesses as to what Doug will do for employment next?

Private sector is out. A simple Google search of his name brings up the sex scandal/lawsuit. Even most fundies agree he shouldn't be in the ministry again. I imagine he has enough friends that someone will give him some kind of job. But it would out of the public, that is definite. And probably not as a lawyer. Or could he be wealthy enough from his family money that he doesn't need to work again? He won't pay for any kid to go to college, we know that. :/

Any guesses as to what Doug will do for employment next?

Private sector is out. A simple Google search of his name brings up the sex scandal/lawsuit. Even most fundies agree he shouldn't be in the ministry again. I imagine he has enough friends that someone will give him some kind of job. But it would out of the public, that is definite. And probably not as a lawyer. Or could he be wealthy enough from his family money that he doesn't need to work again? He won't pay for any kid to go to college, we know that. :/

Costuming consultant?

I also remember him talking about how wildly in love and romantic Doug was with Beall.

All that needed to be done to disprove that idea was a look at the wedding party photo on the steps of the church.

Beall is half smiling; Doug looks miserable. His head is tilted away from his new bride, and if I remember correctly, very little of their bodies were touching each other, even though they were posed with their dearest friends after covenanting with God and each other for life. A more telling shot I've never seen.

All that needed to be done to disprove that idea was a look at the wedding party photo on the steps of the church.

Beall is half smiling; Doug looks miserable. His head is tilted away from his new bride, and if I remember correctly, very little of their bodies were touching each other, even though they were posed with their dearest friends after covenanting with God and each other for life. A more telling shot I've never seen.

Do you have a link to this picture?

Since yesterday was Easter, I was home seeing my parents and other relatives. And, this of course meant a trip to Easter service at the fundy church where I grew up. There was a big Easter brunch afterward and since it was open to anyone, I figure nothing that went on there was top secret(as opposed to, say, private one-on-one conversations or meetings that are listed as confidential). Dougie and VF were very much topics of conversation for many people.

Most folks were condemning Doug Phillips' actions and expressing sympathy for Lourdes, Beall, and the Phillips children, but I did pick up a few interesting tidbits:

-Apparently while DPIAT is still friendly with RC Sproul, JR, several folks at my old church said things that gave the distinct impression that Sproul, SR is not on great terms with DPIAT; someone who attended the wedding also announced to our entire table that it was a simply beautiful wedding, Darby and her new hubby are "just so happy" but the senior Sprouls didn't appear so delighted with DPIAT attending.

- Several people also mentioned that DPIAT left his position at HSLDA under something of a cloud.

- And this was interesting - from some of what was said, it seemed like Doug's time at HSLDA overlapped that of Jennie and Matt Chancey. There was talk of Doug "mentoring" summer interns, so I wonder if that's where he and the Chanceys first met and became friendly?

Apparently while DPIAT is still friendly with RC Sproul, JR, several folks at my old church said things that gave the distinct impression that Sproul, SR is not on great terms with DPIAT; someone who attended the wedding also announced to our entire table that it was a simply beautiful wedding, Darby and her new hubby are "just so happy" but the senior Sprouls didn't appear so delighted with DPIAT attending.

This is just yet another way for Arsey, Jr. to rebel against and embarrass Daddy. He loves it.

Do you have a link to this picture?

I've tried to copy the pic here, but can't seem to make it work. If you Google "Doug and Beall Phillips wedding," then go to images, it should be the very first thing you see. Look for the Pepto-Bismol Pink dresses...

If you Google "Doug and Beall Phillips wedding," then go to images, it should be the very first thing you see. Look for the Pepto-Bismol Pink dresses...

And several of the pictures after that are from the "baby brown eyes" article (I know many of you have read it before, but, just in case . . . ), Doug praising Beall's biological mother for not aborting the pregnancy that became Beall:

operationsaveamerica.org/164.htm.html

:roll:

And several of the pictures after that are from the "baby brown eyes" article (I know many of you have read it before, but, just in case . . . ), Doug praising Beall's biological mother for not aborting the pregnancy that became Beall:

operationsaveamerica.org/164.htm.html

:roll:

Ugh. Beall looks like "Pick me. Choose me. Love me." in that picture from the baby brown eyes article where she's hugging him.

In his pics with Beall, he almost never seems to be touching her, making eye contact with her, or even looking in her direction.

Years ago, when I first learned of DPIAR, I read one of his blog posts, in which he gushes about his "esposa." I instantly thought, "This is a guy who doesn't actually love his wife, but is trying really, really hard to convince people that he does." It was THAT fakey to me.

Archived