IGNORED

Resurrection Roll, anyone?

DutchMommy

meghancarver.blogspot.nl/2014/04/resurrection-rolls-toothsome-inspirational-easter.html

Anyone care for a nice Easter breakfast treat? It's very inspirational, a cinnamon-sugared marsmallow represents the body of Christ. :wtf:

This woman absolutely baffles me...

I don't think it's such an odd thing. We have made resurrection cookies, which are the same idea. It's just a fun, visual for young children. I don't think she's actually trying to equate Jesus to a marshmallow :lol:

I don't think it's such an odd thing. We have made resurrection cookies, which are the same idea. It's just a fun, visual for young children. I don't think she's actually trying to equate Jesus to a marshmallow :lol:

Really?? Oops, I didn't mean to offend anyone.

I never heard of them, maybe it's an American thing? I don't think I ever saw one over here in the Netherlands. But then again, there are a lot of ebil heathens over here. :D

I never heard of them, maybe it's an American thing? I don't think I ever saw one over here in the Netherlands. But then again, there are a lot of ebil heathens over here. :D

It's fine :-)

I actually like the rolls idea better, I've seen it on Pinterest. We did the cookies. It's like a little activity to go along with bible study. They're a meringue type cookie. You put them in the oven, and "seal" it with tape or something and the kids go to bed. You rip the tape off, kids wake up to Jesus's tomb being opened. When you break apart the cookie, or roll, it is empty inside like Jesus's tomb. My kids loved it when we made them. :-)

I am with you, it is absolutely ridiculous, from a Dutch point of view that is........

Almost the same as smocked Easter dresses and christening gowns with little embroidered crucifixes on them...

I've made these (because I am easily influenced by Pinterest and have often been lead astray by gelatine based candy products like marshmallows). They are a sweet chemical tasting mess. However I don't find them all that creepy. What do I find creepy? The whole symbolically eating of the body of Christ and drinking of his blood with the communion wafer and wine. Seems kind of canabalistic to me.

I saw this on Facebook from a distant fundie lite relative. It just struck me as odd in the description of what you tell the kids, it's the shroud Jesus was buried in...strange. I also TOTALLY agree about eating the body of Christ. I was a very imaginative kid and I think that would have squicked me out!

I saw this on Facebook from a distant fundie lite relative. It just struck me as odd in the description of what you tell the kids, it's the shroud Jesus was buried in...strange. I also TOTALLY agree about eating the body of Christ. I was a very imaginative kid and I think that would have squicked me out!

Same here.....

We (Italians) have Easter bread. They even give it out in the predominately Italian church (Catholic) that my parents go to. Bread signifies life. This is where Easter bread comes from. The Sardinia, Italy meaning behind it is pretty cool. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_bread It may sound pagan to fundies, but I think it's nice.

We (Italians) have Easter bread. They even give it out in the predominately Italian church (Catholic) that my parents go to. Bread signifies life. This is where Easter bread comes from. The Sardinia, Italy meaning behind it is pretty cool. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_bread It may sound pagan to fundies, but I think it's nice.

Greek Easter bread is braided with a red egg in it, isn't it?

It looks like Resurrection Rolls are very hard to get right.

pinstrosity.blogspot.com/2012/10/marshmallow-rollsthe-great-escape.html

I've never eaten resurrection anything, but I've eaten some things that felt like they were coming back from the dead right in my stomach.

I'll see myself out.

MMM, these bring back memories. We always used to make these in Sunday School around Easter. And yes, they are impossible to get right. They would always break open and have marshmallow goo everywhere, but that made them even more delicious!

I've made these (because I am easily influenced by Pinterest and have often been lead astray by gelatine based candy products like marshmallows). They are a sweet chemical tasting mess. However I don't find them all that creepy. What do I find creepy? The whole symbolically eating of the body of Christ and drinking of his blood with the communion wafer and wine. Seems kind of canabalistic to me.

Oh the things I could say about this! I wrote my thesis on cannibalism in Anglo-Saxon literature, and you can't talk about cannibalism without talking about the Eucharist. It's fascinating the way different traditions coincide and play off of each other. Cannibalism in literature is SO COOL. Y'all are lucky I'm at work or else I'd bust out my copy of Seamus Heaney's Beowulf and throw some cannibalism quotes at you!

[/nerdout]

Sorry! I can't help myself when people talk about cannibalism... :embarrassed:

Oh the things I could say about this! I wrote my thesis on cannibalism in Anglo-Saxon literature, and you can't talk about cannibalism without talking about the Eucharist. It's fascinating the way different traditions coincide and play off of each other. Cannibalism in literature is SO COOL. Y'all are lucky I'm at work or else I'd bust out my copy of Seamus Heaney's Beowulf and throw some cannibalism quotes at you!

[/nerdout]

I think your thesis sounds like a great read!

[/nerdout]

Your thesis sounds really interesting to me. If you have some time I'd love a summary of your research (am also a nerd so please feel free to bust out any cannibalism quotes).

Everyone enjoys gelatin, it's made out of hooves! (The Simpsons). So, Jesus is made out of crackers? (South Park)

Everything I know about transubstantiation I learned from cartoons.

Good grief. I remember when these were invented, back in the '60s--they won a prize in the Pillsbury Bake-Off, and were called something like Balloon Buns: no religious symbolism involved At All.

I am just glad someone else is baffled by Megan Carver.

Screw marshmallows. Give me Russian Paska and Kulich any day. Kulich is rich, eggy, dessert-y bread. Paska is sweetened cheese (basically spreadable cheesecake filling), that you put on the kulich. And don't forget the vodka! Christos Voskrese! :D

It does sound delicious. If I wasn't so freaking lazy about cooking, I might have a stab at it.

My friend has a four-year-old daughter. They're Catholic, and so they decided to start explaining some of the sacraments and rituals to their daughter. The girl was intrigued by the idea of Communion, so as best they could, my friend and her husband tried to explain about the bread wafers and wine represented the body and blood of Christ.

Cue the next time the family attends church. The little girl sees the Communion wine and cups being set up for the service, and she starts screaming, "I WANT TO DRINK THE BLOOD!" at the top of her lungs, over and over again.

People just gave the family strange/horrified looks. :lol:

My friend has a four-year-old daughter. They're Catholic, and so they decided to start explaining some of the sacraments and rituals to their daughter. The girl was intrigued by the idea of Communion, so as best they could, my friend and her husband tried to explain about the bread wafers and wine represented the body and blood of Christ.

Cue the next time the family attends church. The little girl sees the Communion wine and cups being set up for the service, and she starts screaming, "I WANT TO DRINK THE BLOOD!" at the top of her lungs, over and over again.

People just gave the family strange/horrified looks. :lol:

My friend's little brother did something similar.

He was two or three, much too young for Communion, but his mother took him up to the altar rail with her. The family was trying to teach him to say "please" and "thank you." So when the priest got to them, the little boy asked for some, saying "please." When Father denied him, he started screaming at the top of his lungs, "BUT I SAID PLEASE!111!!!!" right in the middle of Mass.

Archived