IGNORED

ATI Conference coming up

3 ring circus

Here is a newspaper article on the mom.

http://www.sfgate.com/education/article ... 611735.php

From the article, dad was a doctor, so they couldn't have been THAT impoverished.

She certainly was, when she was growing up as a sharecropper's daughter. I'm pretty amazed by anyone who can build on a fourth-grade education after enduring years of child labor, taking on an apparently arranged marriage, and raising eleven kids.

And about Anthony Burrus himself: Obviously, it should go without saying that segregated schools are segregated schools, no matter how much money one's father makes.

Man I wish I could go to the Sacramento one to witness all the crazy!

OMG! ME too! I just want to be a fly on the wall...and listen to the indoctrination!

One of the speakers is a man named Anthony Burrus. I don't know anything about him but here is what his "blurb" says:

"Growing up, Anthony’s family was unexpectedly forced to live

in a multinational neighborhood. Instead of becoming hurt and bitter, he accepted it as a challenge ..."

WTF? Since when did a multinational neighbourhood become a problem? I live in a multinational neighbourhood. It is nice and certainly nothing to become hurt and bitter over.

Translation: he got beat up a lot.

I'm surprised a group doesn't protest outside of one of their conferences. Pointing out how ATI covered up the sexual abuse committed by it's once leader (and founder). Didn't Gothard get axed for this kind of thing back in the 80's as well as his brother getting kicked out for similar behavior? these people had to know this was going on.

Let me translate for you all

If they had known he was special they would have overlooked his poverty and not left him with the poor Coloreds

Right--the subtext is clearly about race, coding Anthony Burrus as 1. compliant with middle-class white cultural expectations and 2. not one of those bitter people of color who are hung up on racism--if only they could be more like Anthony Burrus and just forgive!

Gag.

What does this mean? From the promo:

Looking to Jesus in Marketplace Ministry.

Dwain Swanson mentors more than 150 men in forty-one states by using a special headset while riding a lawn mower as he runs

his landscape company. Since initiating this unique means of discipleship and accountability, he has helped other men start similar

groups, with similar results.

Who is wearing the headset and why? Dwain Swanson or the men he is mentoring? What are they listening to? Is this about creating captive audiences that have to listen to Swanson's drivel, er, mentoring?

Sounds delightful.

I'm surprised a group doesn't protest outside of one of their conferences. Pointing out how ATI covered up the sexual abuse committed by it's once leader (and founder). Didn't Gothard get axed for this kind of thing back in the 80's as well as his brother getting kicked out for similar behavior? these people had to know this was going on.

Well, Billy Boy has publicly "repented" on his website, just in time for Big Sandy next week. Of course, he'll be feted INSIDE the gates. :roll:

Who is wearing the headset and why? Dwain Swanson or the men he is mentoring? What are they listening to? Is this about creating captive audiences that have to listen to Swanson's drivel, er, mentoring?

Sounds delightful.

I think this is how he does two jobs at once. Job One is mowing peoples lawns on his riding lawn mower. While he is mowing lawns he is able to do Job Two, "mentoring" men, which seems to involve "discipleship and accountability" whatever the hell that means. Their Christian-speak is as annoying as corporate-speak. Maybe he is a like a productivity coach or something?

This would make a great home based business for some of our favorite female fundie bloggers. I can see it now, for only $99 a month, Sarah Maxwell will wear a "special headset" (not to be confused with special Mormon underwear), and mentor novice SAHDs while simultaneously completing the 20-minute increment tasks on the MOTH schedule. Her business would revolutionize MOTH, resulting in the release of a special "mentoring" edition that allows TWO simultaneous tasks per 20-minute increment. Um no, not breaking down the 20 minutes into two 10-minute increments, but one person scheduling two 20 minute tasks SIDE-BY-SIDE. You don't get how that is revolutionary? I guess you will have to buy the new, super-improved "MOTH: Mentor Edition". Half size post-its sold separately.

I think this is how he does two jobs at once. Job One is mowing peoples lawns on his riding lawn mower. While he is mowing lawns he is able to do Job Two, "mentoring" men, which seems to involve "discipleship and accountability" whatever the hell that means. Their Christian-speak is as annoying as corporate-speak. Maybe he is a like a productivity coach or something?

This would make a great home based business for some of our favorite female fundie bloggers. I can see it now, for only $99 a month, Sarah Maxwell will wear a "special headset" (not to be confused with special Mormon underwear), and mentor novice SAHDs while simultaneously completing the 20-minute increment tasks on the MOTH schedule. Her business would revolutionize MOTH, resulting in the release of a special "mentoring" edition that allows TWO simultaneous tasks per 20-minute increment. Um no, not breaking down the 20 minutes into two 10-minute increments, but one person scheduling two 20 minute tasks SIDE-BY-SIDE. You don't get how that is revolutionary? I guess you will have to buy the new, super-improved "MOTH: Mentor Edition". Half size post-its sold separately.

Ha, ha! Makes total sense now. Thanks. :)

This cracked me up :dance: Years ago, when MOTH first came out, Mrs. Maxwell did a workshop on it, that I went to with a friend. (The Maxwells live in our area). My reaction was, "Are you kidding me? People are actually going to pay for this?" And while I am a pretty organized person, and we had a basic schedule for schooling, I can't imagine actually living like this and regimenting everything freaking thing.

This cracked me up :dance: Years ago, when MOTH first came out, Mrs. Maxwell did a workshop on it, that I went to with a friend. (The Maxwells live in our area). My reaction was, "Are you kidding me? People are actually going to pay for this?" And while I am a pretty organized person, and we had a basic schedule for schooling, I can't imagine actually living like this and regimenting everything freaking thing.

They live in your area? Do you ever see them around town?

This is what I found on Anthony Burrus. He's on the board of Directors.

Board of Directors | Institute in Basic Life Principles

iblp.org, 23 Mar 2014 [cached]

Anthony Burrus

Anthony Burrus has an amazing life history. When he was a young boy in Oklahoma the laws did not allow him to attend a white school, and his parents were too poor to buy his clothes and shoes so that he could attend a segregated school. His father was falsely accused and put into prison. When his mother moved the family to California, they were forced to live in a neighborhood in which most of the children spoke other languages, including Spanish, Italian, French, and Portuguese. Anthony learned these languages and shocked his college language teachers with his abilities. He graduated with honors in the National Foreign Language Honor Society. He has studied 32 languages.

Anthony attended his first Basic Seminar in the late 1960s. He went with our team to Russia and taught in the public schools of Moscow. Then he went with us to New Zealand and thrilled the Maori attendees by speaking to them in their own language (which he learned while traveling there on the plane). He and his wife, Lula, were a part of our ministry team to Mexico and also Peru. The spiritual insight and practical wisdom that Anthony has brought to the Board is extremely valuable. It is significant that the state that barred Anthony from the white public schools as a boy later recognized his achievements by designating him as an honorary Lieutenant Governor of the State of Oklahoma.

Given that none of these ATI people seem to be able to string sentence together, I'm not entirely sure what this bio is trying to convey. Is this bio trying endorsing segregation or not? Given that racism always seems to be lurking in the background in American fundamentalism, it wouldn't surprise me, but I'm surprised that they would be this open about it.

Given that none of these ATI people seem to be able to string sentence together, I'm not entirely sure what this bio is trying to convey. Is this bio trying endorsing segregation or not? Given that racism always seems to be lurking in the background in American fundamentalism, it wouldn't surprise me, but I'm surprised that they would be this open about it.

Its kind of all over the place. It seems like it saying he was discriminated against twice: once by southern segregation and then again when he had to live among the immigrants that couldn't even speak his language. What I am getting from this: southern white/black segregation was bad, but neighborhoods full of immigrants are also bad. Funny that title says he was "forced to live in a multi-national neighborhood and didn't become bitter" but doesn't say anything about growing up in a segregated Oklahoma. Kind of makes sense given that this conference is in Sacramento and immigration and changing neighborhood demographics is more timely to Californians. But still, not exactly sure what the talk is about.

They live in your area? Do you ever see them around town?

No, I don't. They live in a smaller city about 30 minutes away. We live in the inner city (and I really doubt they would come anywhere near our area) and no longer homeschool (our kids are all grown). Besides that workshop was the last time I even went to a homeschool conference. They had by then already become too much full of fundie speakers for me. At that time the leaders of the local home school group were all big time into ATI, I have no idea about now. I was more interested in those things that could help me be a better teacher.

Sounds delightful.

I guess lawns being mowed and whatever wisdom can be heard over that. I'm sure I'm not up to date on the latest communications technologies, but what kind of special headset is there that enables large conference calling from outdoors while also filtering out background noise such as a lawn mower? Are there riding mowers that don't make noise?

I guess lawns being mowed and whatever wisdom can be heard over that. I'm sure I'm not up to date on the latest communications technologies, but what kind of special headset is there that enables large conference calling from outdoors while also filtering out background noise such as a lawn mower? Are there riding mowers that don't make noise?

This was my thought too!! How the eff is anyone going to hear him over the lawn mower? Or maybe it is best that they can't :lol:

Its kind of all over the place. It seems like it saying he was discriminated against twice: once by southern segregation and then again when he had to live among the immigrants that couldn't even speak his language. What I am getting from this: southern white/black segregation was bad, but neighborhoods full of immigrants are also bad. Funny that title says he was "forced to live in a multi-national neighborhood and didn't become bitter" but doesn't say anything about growing up in a segregated Oklahoma. Kind of makes sense given that this conference is in Sacramento and immigration and changing neighborhood demographics is more timely to Californians. But still, not exactly sure what the talk is about.

Okay, that makes more sense. I never bothered to think that Mr. Burrus might be black, because these patriarchy events are usually so white, but there's usually one or two minorities to be found. Still, I'm always astonished at how poorly people associated with ATI write, from first generation members like JB and Michelle down to the semi-literate Howlers. David Waller's writing style is particularly painful to read, and he's supposed to be one of the higher up members in the ATI hierarchy.

Okay, that makes more sense. I never bothered to think that Mr. Burrus might be black, because these patriarchy events are usually so white, but there's usually one or two minorities to be found. Still, I'm always astonished at how poorly people associated with ATI write, from first generation members like JB and Michelle down to the semi-literate Howlers. David Waller's writing style is particularly painful to read, and he's supposed to be one of the higher up members in the ATI hierarchy.

I totally agree. Honestly, I had to decipher that whole bio and I'm not even sure I interpreted it correctly. And the whole premise of the bio just seems illogical to me. Segregation is bad, but multi-cultural is bad too and something that might cause a person to become bitter? I mean I get that this is supposed to show how he had a rough start in life and then "made" something of himself, but I wish I could see how he was going to spin it.

Archived