IGNORED

Updates on Meredith

Morton Fan

I should clarify that she is so quiet and subdued in person. Online, she still has lots to say.

If you don't mind giving more details... Does she blog about recipes? Canning? The kooky things the kids do? Saving money and coupling? Politics?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just curious, but why couldn't they just adopt a different child in need of a home?

They probably could have, but were holding out hope that their child's birth mother would need to place another baby for adoption. This was on international adoption boards, so not foster related. These women were hoping that a woman in Guatemala or Ecuador or wherever, who had already needed to place a baby for adoption, would become pregnant again so that they could adopt their child's biological sibling.

Some of my children spent time in the foster system before they became part of our family. Their birth mother is still young. Younger than me by several years. I pray that she doesn't have more children that she cannot care for, but I'd do whatever I could to help if my children had a biological sibling in need of care. I can't imagine actively wishing that she would still be in a situation where she couldn't raise a baby. But that's kind of off topic! The earlier post just made me think of the women on the international adoption boards.

I'm not surprised that Meredith may feel like a fish out of water on the base. It's only going to get worse once hubby starts law school. Cambridge, MA and Harvard is not known to be a fundy haven. However, I hope that her experience will open her eyes to the world. Even if she becomes fundy-lite, it's still much better than the values her parents raised her with.

As for Stephen, I think he is aiming for a political career. He's acquiring all the right creds: Princeton, Rhodes Scholar, military service, Harvard Law. They will all serve him well regardless of what he does. I agree with others that Meredith seems ill-suited for the life of a political wife. If she's as shy and retiring as the OP says, she probably will not do well on the campaign trial. However, if she can stomach suburbia life, she can still live out the perfect submissive wife lifestyle. Steven would do well in private practice to comfortably support Meredith and a gaggle of children.

Harvard Law is pricey, but it's one of the few law schools that is probably worth it's hefty tuition in this economy. Stephen will most likely come out with a few good job offers.

I do think Stephen, despite his political aspirations and nonfundy family, is a good catch in the fundy world. He shares fundy values yet he has elite secular credentials. In fundy eyes, he's learned to successfully navigate (and triumph) in the heathen world while remaining pure to the cause. Whatever Stephen decides to do, it seems he's destined to make a splash in the fundy world. Meredith may not enjoy playing a high profile wife, but she probably appreciate the prestigious position she would be in, to be wife to a high profile fundy husband, and one who can provide comfortably for her to boot.

Would a politician's wife with Meredith's background be a good thing, at this day and age?

Fundy upbringing, no education, no plans to get an education, met her husband through her blog, strive to be a submissive helpmeet, married early and has spent her life being a SAHM.

It doesn't seem like a life that would be normal to anybody outside of fundie circles.

I have stated this before but I feel like Meredith would be a fish out of water on a base. I teach on one and officers wives "tend" to be older, educated, don't homeschool and are very active in their children's schools. The life of an Army spouse can be very lonely, I am sure she is anxious for him to be finished with active duty.

They probably could have, but were holding out hope that their child's birth mother would need to place another baby for adoption. This was on international adoption boards, so not foster related. These women were hoping that a woman in Guatemala or Ecuador or wherever, who had already needed to place a baby for adoption, would become pregnant again so that they could adopt their child's biological sibling.

Some of my children spent time in the foster system before they became part of our family. Their birth mother is still young. Younger than me by several years. I pray that she doesn't have more children that she cannot care for, but I'd do whatever I could to help if my children had a biological sibling in need of care. I can't imagine actively wishing that she would still be in a situation where she couldn't raise a baby. But that's kind of off topic! The earlier post just made me think of the women on the international adoption boards.

You know, considering all the child stealing that goes on in these countries to feed adoption demand, this attitude is even more disturbing.

While I can see Meredith being uncomfortable as a political wife, I don't think she would mind being a Beall Phillips type in the fundie world. I remember when she wrote their courtship story she stated that she hoped her marriage would emulate the one of Jonathan & Sarah Edwards

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_E ... theologian)

http://www.amazon.com/Marriage-Difficul ... 0974236500 (this was one of her favorite books at the time)

She very much wanted her courtship, wedding, & marriage to be a good example to single/married Christians. In fact it was one of the reasons she had so many bell ringers at her wedding. I could see her relishing the Vision Forum lifestyle Doug & Beall lived before Doug's (well deserved) fall from grace. She may not have a desire to play in the political arena but she is ambitious in her own way.

If you don't mind giving more details... Does she blog about recipes? Canning? The kooky things the kids do? Saving money and coupling? Politics?

She doesn't write about current events, politics, etc. It's more like a journal of her activities. She includes any trip they go on, any update she gets from Stephen on his deployment (phone calls, letters, etc.), an occasional update about the children's new skills, etc., her home and decorations/her projects and crafts, and a lot about saving money and being a Proverbs 31 woman.

Would a politician's wife with Meredith's background be a good thing, at this day and age?

Fundy upbringing, no education, no plans to get an education, met her husband through her blog, strive to be a submissive helpmeet, married early and has spent her life being a SAHM.

It doesn't seem like a life that would be normal to anybody outside of fundie circles.

She'll probably be fine as a Tea-Party candidate's wife in many parts of the country. It seems the only qualification needed for that target audience is the worshipful Pat Nixon gaze at her hubby. Meredith has that perfected already.

As a huge Scandal fan, I just can't imagine Meredith as wife to the POTUS.

I don't know much about these people, however-- it sounds like he's being very much groomed for higher office (president? with military and Harvard Law, it sounds like it) but when was the last time you saw a congressman or senator whose wife didn't have a college education, even if she was a SAHM?

I don't know much about these people, however-- it sounds like he's being very much groomed for higher office (president? with military and Harvard Law, it sounds like it) but when was the last time you saw a congressman or senator whose wife didn't have a college education, even if she was a SAHM?

Well, in 2009 about 5% of the members of Congress (both House and Senate) had no college degree. I can't think of any congressman's wife with no degree off-hand, although I'm sure quite a few exist.

I can think of a vice-presidential candidate's spouse who never graduated: Todd Palin!

In the foster care system, if you have adopted or are fostering a child and a sibling comes through the system - you get first refusal , so to speak. I saw this different ways - parents that adopted who were thrilled to get siblings. Esp since if the birthmother already has kids in the system, sometime parental rights are automatically terminated as soon as the baby is born - so the foster/adoptive parents get a newborn with no/low risk of being reunified with their birth parents. I also knew parents who felt obligated to take on babies that they might not have because the birth mother kept getting pregnant and they didn't want to be responsible for breaking up siblings.

I see, thank you. Sorry for taking the thread slightly off topic.

Then won't he owe them more time?

Not sure how all that works nowadays - maybe he can do more service time as a reservist, which would certainly allow for buying the ginormous TX ranch at a short sale & running it with Meredith while doing his one weekend a month + 2 weeks a year reserve duty.

Depending on what his exact benefits are (and the cost of public universities in Massachusetts, as the benefits are based on cost of tuition of state schools) he will probably get a large chunk of his degree covered by the military. Most people who have recently been on active duty get a certain amount of months of graduate school covered, plus a housing stipend. It usually doesn't cover everything, but at least a year and a half to two years will likely be paid. I can't say for sure though since I don't know what chapter he has, and it's been a while since I've dealt directly with a graduate student with VA benefits.

Depending on what his exact benefits are (and the cost of public universities in Massachusetts, as the benefits are based on cost of tuition of state schools) he will probably get a large chunk of his degree covered by the military. Most people who have recently been on active duty get a certain amount of months of graduate school covered, plus a housing stipend. It usually doesn't cover everything, but at least a year and a half to two years will likely be paid. I can't say for sure though since I don't know what chapter he has, and it's been a while since I've dealt directly with a graduate student with VA benefits.

Harvard is not a public university. It is a private 501©(3) but won't military benefits cover grad student tuition there too? Or other loans and tuition support are usually available. The cost of living in the Boston/Cambridge area will probably be a major shock for the Hammers though.

I don't know much about the Law School because "every tub stands on its own bottom" at Harvard with big divisions between the College (undergrad), Law School, Medical School, School of Government and Faculty of Arts and Science, etc. There is a lot of information about the tuition costs and available housing options for the Law School here if you are interested: http://www.law.harvard.edu.

Harvard is not a public university. It is a private 501©(3) but won't military benefits cover grad student tuition there too? Or other loans and tuition support are usually available. The cost of living in the Boston/Cambridge area will probably be a major shock for the Hammers though.

I don't know much about the Law School because "every tub stands on its own bottom" at Harvard with big divisions between the College (undergrad), Law School, Medical School, School of Government and Faculty of Arts and Science, etc. There is a lot of information about the tuition costs and available housing options for the Law School here if you are interested: http://www.law.harvard.edu.

Sorry - I meant the amount of the benefits is dependent upon the costs of attendance the state's public universities. For example, I work at a private university in NY and the highest amount the veterans can get is based on the cost of attendance at the most expensive public program in the state (Cornell's agricultural school). They can't get more than that. So students at my university get up to that amount per year, although it does not cover everything (butother types of benefits are also added, like the new-ish Yellow Ribbon for undergrads that gives an additional $5k for students in more expensive programs). It doesn't matter whether the student is attending a private or public school, they'll get the benefits either way.

I'm much more familiar with how the benefits work for undergrads, but I'm pretty sure they still determine the amount the student gets the same way on the graduate level. My point was just that I'm guessing he'll get a good chunk of his tuition covered by the VA benefits, but I can't say for sure what proportion since I don't know what public schools cost there.

Sorry - I meant the amount of the benefits is dependent upon the costs of attendance the state's public universities. For example, I work at a private university in NY and the highest amount the veterans can get is based on the cost of attendance at the most expensive public program in the state (Cornell's agricultural school). They can't get more than that. So students at my university get up to that amount per year, although it does not cover everything (butother types of benefits are also added, like the new-ish Yellow Ribbon for undergrads that gives an additional $5k for students in more expensive programs). It doesn't matter whether the student is attending a private or public school, they'll get the benefits either way.

I'm much more familiar with how the benefits work for undergrads, but I'm pretty sure they still determine the amount the student gets the same way on the graduate level. My point was just that I'm guessing he'll get a good chunk of his tuition covered by the VA benefits, but I can't say for sure what proportion since I don't know what public schools cost there.

Oh, thanks! That makes a lot of sense. Yes, I think Stephen will get a lot of his tuition costs covered too. I suppose it's obvious that I know nothing about VA benefits! :lol:

• 2 years later...

Harvard Law Today (November 2015) chronicles Stephen J. Hammer's insanely successful career of being Super Successful at Just Everything.  

Princeton Classics salutatorian, ROTC, Rhodes Scholar, US Army officer (Ranger school, Jump Master), Harvard Law in progress (Class of '18).

He put his Army obligation aside for two years to study at Oxford as a Rhodes scholar, earning a master’s degree in theology and focusing his studies on the intersection of faith and public service in the thought of early Christian leaders....

Knowing he would be charged with leading soldiers, Hammer entered Army Ranger School, considered by many the toughest combat course in the world, and became a Jumpmaster. 

In his first deployment, to Zharay District, Afghanistan, in 2012, he led a 15-paratrooper personal security detachment platoon on over 150 patrols, securing his battalion commander and key Afghan government functions against Taliban influence. His second deployment was for nine months, in 2014, to Kandahar, Afghanistan, where he was second-in-command of a 50-paratrooper airborne infantry weapons company.

Whatever you want to say about this guy, he's the real deal.  Can't even imagine what heights he'll scale in 10 years, but I'm sure he has something specific in mind. 

I admire his accomplishments. I know a few servicemen who are going to Harvard and Columbia, getting articles published. One is writing books and taught at Yale.

I haven't heard much on Meredith and Stephen Hammer. I hope he doesn't get involved in politics, though.

2 hours ago, Howl said:

Whatever you want to say about this guy, he's the real deal.  Can't even imagine what heights he'll scale in 10 years, but I'm sure he has something specific in mind. 

Which is terrifying. He's a fundie with the education, background, and skills to get his ideas enacted into legislation. :my_confused:

I was just over on their family blog and she spent quite a bit of time visiting her family. Interesting but not surprising as Stephen would have been very busy with law school.  She also lists her city as Washington DC on her FB.  I wonder if he is clerking or doing an internship there. I will just say this: in every photo of them, the kids and Meredith are props.  He obviously loves his children but is never looking at her directly. Just an observation.

Would anyone be surprised if he ended up having an affair while he is in law school or once he starts working?  I know Meredith has lots of "skills" but she isn't a Harvard Law student.  I can't imagine what they talk about and this isn't slamming people of different backgrounds, skills etc.  She is so under-educated, has been trained to not have opinions, etc.  What in the world do they have in common except Stephen seeking her out for his own gain?  Just my humble  opinion fyi.

But hey, members have said before they took pictures/saved evidence of Meredith's blog before she shut it down. In case Stephen tries to get himself into politics, we have proof how creepy he was and how he sought out an uneducated, sheltered woman for a wife.

Teachergirl, I don't see any love for Meredith. Maybe he has some feelings for her, but I think he wanted a submissive wife and someone he could marry before he got too old. Could he have an affair? Maybe. Marriages made for political gain are easy to break. 

Listen I know photos are just photos but you are right. I see no love for her.  And as their oldest gets to be school aged, is he really going to insist on homeschooling? They live in MA where the best public schools are, as he gets into law school his contacts will be more and more important.  I mean it is one thing to be conservative. That lifestyle takes that to a whole new level.  I just can't see him keeping up with this facade of Jesus freak, quiverfull, homeschool, sahd stuff.  I would not be surprised if he is done with children at least for now.

Absolutely, I cannot picture him with more than 4 babies, max. I also don't know how Stephen would feel about homeschooling. He strikes me as the type of man who wants his kids to go to fancy schools and have good careers, like doctors and lawyers.

Stephen must be insanely intelligent. He and Meredith just don't seem to be a well matched couple. I don't' mean that she isn't intelligent, but they are so different! She was homeschooled, with nothing past high school, no apparent ambition except to be an excellent wife and mother, which is no small feat, but does not require higher education. Stephen is out in the world, acquiring experience, leadership, and has multiple degrees from outstanding schools. What does Meredith think of his achievements? Is she ready to be a political wife? How will she go over with voters and the political powers that be? What if Stephen wants to stop having babies? Or wants Meredith to attend university? Have a career? Will Meredith need to be more than his helpmeet at some point?

Archived