IGNORED

Sending Daughter's To JTTH

Toothfairy

I didn't know if I should post this but maybe FJ can give me some advice. One of my classmates/friend from high school sent both her daughters(14,15) to JTTH last year :shock: We keep in contact from time to time and she told me her daughters had so much fun They went hiking,camping, swimming,etc. She's wants to send them again this summer(for more brainwashing) She told me it was a Christian retreat. She said maybe my daughter would have interest in it(hell no)I don't think she's fundie just married to a conservative. Her kids attend a private christian school. My heart really hurts now for her and her daughters who probably need therapy now. I don't think she really knows what journey is. I'm just really sad and don't know what to say or do. :cry:

I didn't know if I should post this but maybe FJ can give me some advice. One of my classmates/friend from high school sent both her daughters(14,15) to JTTH last year :shock: We keep in contact from time to time and she told me her daughters had so much fun They went hiking,camping, swimming,etc. She's wants to send them again this summer(for more brainwashing) She told me it was a Christian retreat. She said maybe my daughter would have interest in it(hell no)I don't think she's fundie just married to a conservative. Her kids attend a private christian school. My heart really hurts now for her and her daughters who probably need therapy now. I don't think she really knows what journey is. I'm just really sad and don't know what to say or do. :cry:

I suggest giving her the link to Recovering Grace and recommending that she read there.

I would start out by saying how great it is that her daughters enjoy the swimming/ camping/ swimming aspects. Then say, in a questioning tone of voice " you know, I remember hearing about that program somewhere....is that the one where the leader is in trouble because he's accused of molesting young girls? Gosh, I hope not!" Then end with, " hey I was looking on- line and saw this great YWCA/ Girl Scout/ Campfire Club camp that I was thinking might be fun for Daughter, what do you think?"

If she is dismissive or denies it's the same program then a week or so later say, " hey, I googled that program your girls went to and I'm a little concerned, you might want to take a look on-line. I'd hate for your girls to end up having a lousy time!" .

I would start out by saying how great it is that her daughters enjoy the swimming/ camping/ swimming aspects. Then say, in a questioning tone of voice " you know, I remember hearing about that program somewhere....is that the one where the leader is in trouble because he's accused of molesting young girls? Gosh, I hope not!" Then end with, " hey I was looking on- line and saw this great YWCA/ Girl Scout/ Campfire Club camp that I was thinking might be fun for Daughter, what do you think?"

If she is dismissive or denies it's the same program then a week or so later say, " hey, I googled that program your girls went to and I'm a little concerned, you might want to take a look on-line. I'd hate for your girls to end up having a lousy time!" .

Even starting out, "Hey, I looked into that program you mentioned and found some things that concerned me..." may work.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm just really sad for her daughters. They're typically teenagers. My friend said they came back different people( I wonder why) they helped out more, less fighting, talking back.

I hope if I send her more info about JTTH she would take it to heart and reconsider sending her daughters there this summer. I don't want her to think I'm bashing her or her parental choices then she doesn't take it seriously. Which I already did in my email.

Try this. Say...ya know, I was really interested in that christian retreat you mentioned the other day, so I searched out the website so I could find out some information on it. It brought me to some page from the main organization that mentioned the leader had resigned. That made me curious, so I seacrhed the leaders name, and there is this site called Recovering grace, as well as many others that didnt shine such a positive light on JTTH or the IBLP. Should I be concerned about that? Im not sure if thats the type of place I want to send my child at this point in time.

Odd conversation to have though, as you probably know way more than she does. But speak yoir concerns about only your child, and that may give her concern for her own.

Try this. Say...ya know, I was really interested in that christian retreat you mentioned the other day, so I searched out the website so I could find out some information on it. It brought me to some page from the main organization that mentioned the leader had resigned. That made me curious, so I seacrhed the leaders name, and there is this site called Recovering grace, as well as many others that didnt shine such a positive light on JTTH or the IBLP. Should I be concerned about that? Im not sure if thats the type of place I want to send my child at this point in time.

Odd conversation to have though, as you probably know way more than she does. But speak yoir concerns about only your child, and that may give her concern for her own.

I wonder whether there are a lot of people who send their daughters to JTTH without really knowing what it is. Scary.

Archived