IGNORED

Levelles -extreme street preaching w/10 kids - Merge

Chowder Head

Have we talked about this family. 10 kids, no tv, gets their kids to spout very harsh ,hell & brimstone messages. They confront other churches members, and takes all their kids to protest outside the plan parent hood.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/extreme-evange ... d=23261160

:angry-banghead: Those kids are brained washed & i fear for their safety being taken out like that to preach the parent's faith.

"They practice equal opportunity intolerance"

LOVE that line!

I just think it's horrible that the preaching reinforces the Us against Them mentality. Hopefully at least one of the kids can see beyond the propaganda and realize that the people they are preaching to are *people* too.

That is just sick. The mother is proud of her young daughter for giving her first hate-speech. And the father tells her that "heaven is rejoicing over you, sweetie. It's rejoicing!" Horrible. Just horrible. And not to mention, what happens when one of the people they're provoking snaps and harms their kids? I guess they'll keep preaching and rejoice over the fact that their kid may be dead or injured, but nobody can ultimately stop them. :roll:

These people turn a lot more people off religion than they bring to it.

Seomtimes, I think that's part of the point. So they can keep their little "club" exclusive.

These people turn a lot more people off religion than they bring to it.

But that's not their fault. They are speaking The Truth and if people don't like it, that only proves they are unsaved sinners!

I'd love it if every time a fundie said that they had to give evidence for exactly why it's The Truth.

Am I a horrible person because I think Mama LeVelle is one butt ugly woman? She makes ZuZu look like Heidi Klum.

To cleanse the palate of the spew this family shouts I'm currently listening to this:

4xjPODksI08

I'd love it if every time a fundie said that they had to give evidence for exactly why it's The Truth.

Easy! Because the Bible says so! Why does the Bible say things that seem unjust to the general population? Well, we are listening to our emotional, sin nature. His thoughts are not our thoughts and his ways are not our ways!

People who use their kids to proselytize make me sick.

People who use their kids to proselytize make me sick.

There used to be some weekly anti Bush/anti war protesters I saw every week on my drive home. Hot/cold, rain/ snow, they were out yelling at cars and carrying signs-- about 10 people, same ones week after week. They always had their kids with them, ranging from stroller sized babies/toddlers to about 6 or 7 years old. I wondered what it might be like, to be dragged out in the cold rain to watch your dad yell at passing cars-- some people honked in support, others in anger, I'm sure there were a few hand gestures or comments tossed his way. I just wonder what it feels like to be the kid dragged into the line of fire for your parent's God or Cause.

Whenever I hear about idiot parents like these, I always think back to Theodore Dreiser's "An American Tragedy." The Griffiths parents were also street preachers who dragged their kids out in all weather and at all hours to spout their own brand of Christianity. And the oldest daughter turned ran off with some lothario who abandoned her when she became pregnant and the oldest son grew up to be spineless social climber of dubious morals who eventually seduced and murdered his girlfriend. Yeah, your kids won't always grow up and thank you for what you did to them.

It bothers me when people take their kids to street preach or protest planned parenthood. How are they explaing these things to their kids? For people who are afraid of society corrupting their little blessings, theyre doing a good job polluting their little minds all on their own.

When my daughter was little, she didn't know what abortion or adultery were. She didn't need to know. She did know what homosexuality was, because her grandfather, uncle, and two cousins are gay. One day when she was 5, she asked why uncle Bill was married to a boy. Here's how that conversation went. "well sweetie, usually boys and girls marry each other, but sometimes boys might love other boys, or girls might love other girls. That called homosexual, or gay." She said "I don't like boys. They're gross. I'm going to be gay when I'm big". "well, angel, when you're a big girl, you can love whoever you want. Right now you're little, so you don't have to think about that yet. Whoever you marry will be very lucky, because you are a wonderful person." "I love you, mommy. Can I have a snack?" No mention of sex, or sin, or hell.

It bothers me when people take their kids to street preach or protest planned parenthood. How are they explaing these things to their kids? For people who are afraid of society corrupting their little blessings, theyre doing a good job polluting their little minds all on their own.

When my daughter was little, she didn't know what abortion or adultery were. She didn't need to know. She did know what homosexuality was, because her grandfather, uncle, and two cousins are gay. One day when she was 5, she asked why uncle Bill was married to a boy. Here's how that conversation went. "well sweetie, usually boys and girls marry each other, but sometimes boys might love other boys, or girls might love other girls. That called homosexual, or gay." She said "I don't like boys. They're gross. I'm going to be gay when I'm big". "well, angel, when you're a big girl, you can love whoever you want. Right now you're little, so you don't have to think about that yet. Whoever you marry will be very lucky, because you are a wonderful person." "I love you, mommy. Can I have a snack?" No mention of sex, or sin, or hell.

Aww, this is a sweet story.

She's a funny kid. Last week she told me that boys are still disgusting, but they've gotten cuter now that she has hormones. I almost peed my pants laughing at that one :). Another time she asked me why some people make god sound like such a jerk, and that sending people to hell for all eternity is a pretty screwed up thing to do for someone who is supposed to be merciful. It amazes me that even though my family is 100% secular, our kids are still pretty innocent. I just don't get the things fundie parents teach their children.

She's a funny kid. Last week she told me that boys are still disgusting, but they've gotten cuter now that she has hormones. I almost peed my pants laughing at that one :). Another time she asked me why some people make god sound like such a jerk, and that sending people to hell for all eternity is a pretty screwed up thing to do for someone who is supposed to be merciful. It amazes me that even though my family is 100% secular, our kids are still pretty innocent. I just don't get the things fundie parents teach their children.

Your daughter is so funny and has such a way with words.

I agree,keep the kids out of it.

There used to be a flock of JW's around here who would use their small children to knock on doors and hand out pamplets while the parents drove around.I don't think that's right.

I also don't appreciate it when parents dress up their small children..sometimes as young as 2-3 years old...and parade them around,knocking on doors and trying to evangelize.I just flat out refused to answer the door last time that happened.I knew darn well what they wanted...they wanted me to gush and fawn over their cute little son in a suit,hair slicked to the side with grease and looking quite spiffy,while they preached the word.I didn't fall for it.It was an early Sat. morning,GO HOME and let your son have a normal day,mom and dad! He's much too young for that.ugh.

And btw,I believe in God,but that is ridiculous.

JWs in my area are known for bringing young children along on the door to door work. I am convinced it is because they know most people are reluctant to tell them to get lost in front of their children. It is one thing to snarl at an adult, but people don't like being mean in front of kids.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried searching for a discussion on this family and could not find it. I apologize if my searching skillz are not great.

However have any of you ever heard of the LaVelle family? They were on ABC News and stuff... evangelical I am going to do more Google searches later to see if they have a website...

Here is their clip

http://abcnews.go.com/US/extreme-evange ... d=23261160

Here they are getting T- shirts

Archived