IGNORED

Priscilla & David Waller - Pecan Thieves Pregnant Again!

happy atheist

Pretty sad when you live in a culture where people start to wonder and whisper if you're not pregnant again a year after giving birth. My family used to tell me that 'back in the day' if a Catholic mother wasn't expecting again within a year, the priest would go and ask her what was wrong. Don't know how true that is, but it's crazy that people really live that way.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pretty sad when you live in a culture where people start to wonder and whisper if you're not pregnant again a year after giving birth. My family used to tell me that 'back in the day' if a Catholic mother wasn't expecting again within a year, the priest would go and ask her what was wrong. Don't know how true that is, but it's crazy that people really live that way.

My mom was married for seven years, and had had three miscarriages before she had me (1952). One of the neighborhood paisanas had the nerve to say, "No kids yet? What are ya, lazy?" In those days, people rarely shared info re fertility matters with anyone but their spouses and very close friends/relatives.

I recall that the priest would go to your house when your youngest was out of diapers and want to know why you weren't pregnant!

I recall that the priest would go to your house when your youngest was out of diapers and want to know why you weren't pregnant!

"Is that an offer, Father?"

Luckily our priest was too lazy himself or uninvolved. He never came to the house unless invited and our parish had many, many small families. Two children was very common.

Not Catholic, but grew up in a predominantly Catholic area and heard of this. This angered my mom who thought that was extremely intrusive. One of the times she said she was glad she was Protestant. And furthermore, she would slap our pastor upside the head if he even dared to ask such a question! This was my quiet, conservative mom.

Not Catholic, but grew up in a predominantly Catholic area and heard of this. This angered my mom who thought that was extremely intrusive. One of the times she said she was glad she was Protestant. And furthermore, she would slap our pastor upside the head if he even dared to ask such a question! This was my quiet, conservative mom.

I couldn't resist....

Yeah, that's just nuts. Even if you aren't using birth control many, many women will just naturally have kids more in the 2-3 year spacing. Especially if breastfeeding.

In the promo for the new season of 19kAC, Anna gets a surprising phone call - could that be from priscilla announcing baby número dos? or am I just clutching at straws :lol:

Are the Keller brothers working for IBLP? They seem to be on some sort of extended visit to Chicago if not. Getting too worldly?

I couldn't resist....

Yes! I did think of this scene as well. Great minds think alike.....

In the promo for the new season of 19kAC, Anna gets a surprising phone call - could that be from priscilla announcing baby número dos? or am I just clutching at straws :lol:

I don't think that would be very TV "worthy". The average watcher won't really care about Anna's sister. They want to see Duggar and maybe Bates weddings and babies.

No crazier than an unmarried man (priests, Gothard) telling couples how they should manage their marriage.

No crazier than an unmarried man (priests, Gothard) telling couples how they should manage their marriage.

Maybe that explains why they would have unrealistic expectations of how frequent pregnancy will be? If you take a bunch of couples who all marry at 20, have no fertility issues, breast feed, don't practice birth control and have a good sex life, there will still be a huge range in the number of children they have 30 years later.

Sure one couple might end up with a super-size family of 20+ children, having a baby every year or so until mid thirties, gradually having them a little further apart as fertility declines and having a last child when the mother is hitting menopause at 50. But those kind of mega families are the exception, not the norm. I had a female ancestor in the 1800's who had 23, and they all lived to adulthood.

The next couple might end up with 10-12 children, evenly spaced every two years, but only one or two born after mom hits her forties.

Couple number 3 ends up with 8, a couple of them two years apart, a couple of them a year apart, a gap of a few years between another 2, due to a miscarriage between births, one baby in her late 30s then a final 'surprise' baby at 45.

Couple number 4 has 6, mom got pregnant a little over two years after the birth of each infant, had them all about 3 years apart with her last birth at 38.

So there is a really huge range of what's " normal" even with no fertility issues or use of birth control.

eta: and that's not even counting that little thing called " life" that will get in the way of constant pro-creating: sickness, sick kids, crying baby, toddler pounding on the door at the wrong moment, moves, leaking roof, mom or dad is out of town taking 10 year old to some event, visiting grandparents, so whole family is sleeping in living room, up all night because you're worried about your teen who hasn't come home......and on and on and on.

yes and it's sad the expectations placed upon these young ppl.Because I really feel like the Bates and Duggars expect their offspring to produce a large no. of kids...not just 8-9, but double digit kids.and I really think they would like to see them have at least 15-20.Which may not happen,but the pressure is there and I find it really sad they have these unrealistic and huge expectations placed on them at such a young age.if they only end up w 2=3 or so,or none..they're going to feel like failures.

David "The Nut Raider" Waller ( or " The Nut Buster"), every infamous criminal gets a nickname or two and he is no different.

David "The Nut Raider" Waller ( or " The Nut Buster"), every infamous criminal gets a nickname or two and he is no different.

"Nutsy Waller".

From Nutsy Waller's Twitter moments ago:

You fill in the blank, "if I could be known for anything, I would want to be known as______" does your "blank" have 2 do with u or God?

Let's fill in the blank for Dave.... If Dave could be known for anything, he'd want to be known as _______?

You fill in the blank, "if I could be known for anything, I would want to be known as______" does your "blank" have 2 do with u or God?

Let's fill in the blank for Dave.... If Dave could be known for anything, he'd want to be known as _______?

Heterosexual?

Fabulous?

Archived