IGNORED

Lady Bibliophile: What Makes a Good Heroine

GeoBQn

Lady Bibliophile gives her list of attributes for a good heroine. Note that it is a separate list from "What Makes a Good Hero.

ladybibliophile.blogspot.com/2014/03/what-makes-good-heroine.html

I couldn't get past the first one, 'Good Heroines Honor Their Daddies.' :?

Aw, poor Lady B. She does try. She seems like a young woman who desperately wants to stretch her intellect, but hobbles herself at the same time. The thought of her bent over her desk, painstakingly redacting her novels page by page.... It bums me out.

It is kind of sad. She has a new post about being a stay at home daughter: ladybibliophile.blogspot.com/2014/04/joyfully-at-home.html I know she says she's "joyfully at home," but I get the sense that she might really thrive in a real academic setting.

Of course, then she says stuff like this and I get annoyed at her again.

2. Good Heroines are Resourceful in Helping their Heroes

Every good heroine knows that her hero is sometimes in a tight spot, and she needs to help him out. That's what women were designed for: to be a 'helper suitable'.

I want to drop an entire box of copies of the Protector of the Small books on her. And then maybe one of Robin McKinley's Damar books.

I'd settle for air-dropping a copy of the passage from"Return Of The King" in which Eowyn settles the Witch King Of Angmar's hash.

I like how that one's first, but "Good Heroines Love Their Families" is sixth...

Thursday Next is a pretty kick-ass heroine.

+ 10 000. I love jasper Fforde, I can't wait for the next book after Shades of Grey ** !

+ 10 000. I love jasper Fforde, I can't wait for the next book after Shades of Grey ** !

So, my sci fi book club read Shades of Grey, and one of the women went to the bookstore and they gave her Fifty Shades of Grey! She read the whole thing and was rushing past the sex scenes like, "when are we going go get to the sci fi??" I crack up every time I think about it.

List of our families favorite book heroines:

Paper-Bag Princess

the protagonist from Journey

Zita the Space Girl

Princess Cimorine

Pippi Longstocking

Ella Enchanted

Dorothy (Wizard of Oz)

Allanna (Song of the Lioness)

Meg (A Wrinkle in Time)

Lyra (Golden Compass)

What do they all have in common? They have a problem and they solve the problem. Just like a hero. FreeJingerites please add to this list! Also, I'm DYING to read more Fforde's Shades of Grey. (Edit to add Lyra)

Elizabeth Bennett is out then, as she was critical of her father's behavior. Or does that not count because she only "became sensible" of it and did not openly criticize him?

I'm surprised she thinks Jane Eyre is a good heroine. She fell in love with a married man (unknowingly), left him, then came crawling back after the wife died in that huge house fire. In real life, would a fundie praise someone for marrying a duplicitous, unfaithful man? I think not.

Also, Jane Eyre is Ms. Independent in that she decides against marrying the missionary.

That being said, I LOVE Jane Eyre.

I totally agree about this girl really wanting to stretch her brain and engage in an academic pursuit, but feeling like she can only do so within the confines of her religion. I wonder what would be wrong with a general liberal arts degree, for a young fundy woman? I mean, besides the obvious critical thinking. But majors like English aren't teaching you career skills so I think maybe a fundy family could justify how something like that complements staying at home.

Eh, she'd probably flip out at the fact that we had to study feminist AND QUEER theory. :twisted:

Elizabeth Bennett is out then, as she was critical of her father's behavior. Or does that not count because she only "became sensible" of it and did not openly criticize him?

If you ask the crazy movie reviews lady that is only one of many reasons Elizabeth Bennet is a poor role model/heroine and possibly of the debil. SHE MARRIES FOR LOVE!!!!! :lol:

List of our families favorite book heroines:

Paper-Bag Princess

the protagonist from Journey

Zita the Space Girl

Princess Cimorine

Pippi Longstocking

Ella Enchanted

Dorothy (Wizard of Oz)

Allanna (Song of the Lioness)

Meg (A Wrinkle in Time)

Lyra (Golden Compass)

What do they all have in common? They have a problem and they solve the problem. Just like a hero. FreeJingerites please add to this list! Also, I'm DYING to read more Fforde's Shades of Grey. (Edit to add Lyra)

I'd add

Daine and Kel (Tamora Pierce's other books set in the Alanna world)

Tarma & Kethry, Kerowyn, Elspeth, and Talia (and Vanyel's sister-whose-name-I-forgot) (Mercedes Lackey's Velgarth/Valdemar books)

Menolly, Moreta, Lessa, Nerilka, and a few others (Anne McCaffrey's Pern books - not crazy about the ones her son wrote, though)

Aerin and Angharad, of course

various heroines from Doranna Durgin's fantasy books

Eowyn, defeater of the Witch King :dance:

Jade del Cameron, WWI ambulance driver turned pilot/adventurer in Africa

Emily Pollifax, widow and CIA courier

There are more, and I haven't even touched TV/movies. (I think Kaylee from Firefly, plus Major Carter and Dr Fraiser from Stargate, and Ivanova from B5 are all good)

I'm surprised she thinks Jane Eyre is a good heroine. She fell in love with a married man (unknowingly), left him, then came crawling back after the wife died in that huge house fire. In real life, would a fundie praise someone for marrying a duplicitous, unfaithful man? I think not.

Also, Jane Eyre is Ms. Independent in that she decides against marrying the missionary.

That being said, I LOVE Jane Eyre.

Seriously! Jane Eyre is not a soppy romance, far from it! It's one of the first great feminist novels and was utterly shocking to the general public when first published. It is a rage against fake and hypocritical Evangelicalism in Mr. Brocklehurst and St John Rivers. Jane is always seeking independence in a patriarchial society. Her big speech when rejecting Mr. Rochester wanting her to be his mistress has little to do with God. It is a refusal to become Mr. R's disposable "plaything." She also rejects St John because he tries to control and dominate her. I only disagree with you saying that she came crawling back to Rochester -- she voluntarily returns when he is weakened and she is in a position of power, wealth and independence.

I've pondered on Our Lady Bibliophile because I find it hard to believe that anyone could read some of the books she does and write such puerile reviews.

I've come to the conclusion that young Schuyler has come up with a great scam for a SAHD who loves to read. Her "work" and her "ministry" are to read all the books she wants (because she is Godly enough to withstand the sinfulness) and then knowingly make up some crap "acceptable to Fundies" review about how unGodly the books are so that no-one else in her circle reads them! Surely no-one can be as superficial as Our Lady Bibliophile appears.:lol:

Good Heroines Have a Vision for Dominion

Not remotely limiting is it?

I read this as "Vision of Domino's," as in Domino's Pizza. Domino's Pizza sucks.

And could someone tell me why fundies always choose the most obnoxious font for their blogs? My eyes now hurt.

I despise Elsie Dinsmore. I read the original version not the rerelease for fundie homeschoolers. Elsie is annoying little twit and the books are racist. Also her relationship with Papa is just creepy as is the fact that she ends up marrying her father's best friends.

That was a long-winded way of saying that if you think Elsie Dinsmore is someone to admire then I don't respect your views.

I'd add

Daine and Kel (Tamora Pierce's other books set in the Alanna world)

Tarma & Kethry, Kerowyn, Elspeth, and Talia (and Vanyel's sister-whose-name-I-forgot) (Mercedes Lackey's Velgarth/Valdemar books)

Menolly, Moreta, Lessa, Nerilka, and a few others (Anne McCaffrey's Pern books - not crazy about the ones her son wrote, though)

Aerin and Angharad, of course

various heroines from Doranna Durgin's fantasy books

Eowyn, defeater of the Witch King :dance:

Jade del Cameron, WWI ambulance driver turned pilot/adventurer in Africa

Emily Pollifax, widow and CIA courier

There are more, and I haven't even touched TV/movies. (I think Kaylee from Firefly, plus Major Carter and Dr Fraiser from Stargate, and Ivanova from B5 are all good)

Kira Nyris from Deep Space 9

Ziva David from NCIS

Judith from the Bible

Ekaterina Shugak from Dana Stabenow's books

I despise Elsie Dinsmore. I read the original version not the rerelease for fundie homeschoolers. Elsie is annoying little twit and the books are racist. Also her relationship with Papa is just creepy as is the fact that she ends up marrying her father's best friends.

That was a long-winded way of saying that if you think Elsie Dinsmore is someone to admire then I don't respect your views.

The newer ones took out some of the racism, anti semitism and anti Catholicism, but left in just about everything else.

The newer books are what I read first, and THOSE gaveme a stomach ache.

Then I read the originals and learned what a stomach ache IS!

We once had some type of Elsie-Reading-Club on the forums, after the books came up in another thread, so some of us started reading the online books, which are not revised, and really, they are something to get sick about. I remember Elsie telling slaves they would be white in heaven.

Archived