IGNORED

Ben Seewald's Calvinism

fiery redhead

It's pretty in vogue for fundie families who grew up Baptist to transition into Calvinism. I've seen it a million times and I really don't understand what makes it so cool as it makes no sense. I guess it appeals to elitism. Jessa grew up Gothard/IFB now she and Ben will be "reformed". She's pretty lucky, she gets to side hug with a cool reformed guy.

Enjoy?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pBfrmX-9Jd0

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Calvinism seems to be one of the current fads in the evangelical world, although if the posts at TWW are any indication its not without its critics in the Christian world. Gothardites tend to think they're super speshul as it is, so it shouldn't be too hard for Jessa to make the switch and it's not like the Duggars care much about theology anyway.

I imagine that's why Ben had to have a conversation about theology with the Almighty Boob before pre-courting Jessa. I can see mister ATI royalty showing some apprehension at someone with a reformed POV of the Bible. The Calvinists I know drink and dance occasionally. So I can't think Boob would be keen on that.

My concern is this; HOW Calvinist is Ben? All the Calvinists I know are fairly laid back, but those are only the YRR types that want to appear cool and hip, or the Presbyterians who are mostly pretty normal Christians. That might signal good things for Jessa and her future.

But if he's a hyper-Calvinist type that concerns me. They are just as fundie as ATI, just with a more "intellectual" spin on things. You think Josh is a smug prick? Imagine what he would be like if he was raised by the Tool instead of the Boob. I cringe even imagining that.

I'm almost positive that when we first found Benny's facebook page, it was pretty apparent that his family followed our good buddy DPIAT. So, I imagine he's THAT kind of Calvinist.

I hope Jessa learns to enjoy dressing up in period costumes to re-enact history that never happened. :doh:

Well the Duggars were pretty into Vision Forum, and the Tool is a renowned Calvinist.

I don't think either of the Duggar parents are deep theological thinkers. As long as a suitor outwardly conforms to the legalism they are so hung up on he's fine.

Can someone explain Calvinism to me? I really don't know anything about it...

People don't have free will, God makes us sin and only wants his favs to come to Jesus. They pride themselves I their superior theology that is from theologians, not necessarily the Bible. In my experience, it's fitting to say they view themselves as the highest evolved Christian. And you better drink a ton of wine and carry a flask too.

All I see is bad news for Ben and Jessa. I hope she gets out of that. I think he's a little famewhore, and he might end up being super controlling.

Is there any other country in the world where people change religion, or shop for churches like this?

It's fascinating. It's also weird to me.

People don't have free will, God makes us sin and only wants his favs to come to Jesus. They pride themselves I their superior theology that is from theologians, not necessarily the Bible. In my experience, it's fitting to say they view themselves as the highest evolved Christian. And you better drink a ton of wine and carry a flask too.

What irritates the fuck out of me about this is that Calvinists believe that all the good deeds people do are "laid onto their hearts by Jaysus." So if you do anything to help, it's not that you're helpful. Nope. Thanks be to GOD for MAKING you do it. It runs completely counter to free will.

Calvinists online really annoy me.In life, they might be very nice people and I probably unknowingly am acquainted with a few but something about the combination of online debates and Calvinism brings out the the smugness in its followers. They argue in circles, don't answer questions and ignore anything that disproves their ideas, even bible verses. Ironically, they believe that they are ultra logical and intellectual but they aren't

They also have a very annoying way of stopping themselves from asking the bigger why questions. Anything that disagrees with their theology is labeled emotional. Being emotional is bad and makes anything the speaker says as 'wrong'.It doesn't matter if the other person is really 'emotional' or not, the fact that they disagree with Calvinism-or is female-seems to be enough reason to dismiss them.

Why anyone would want to worship the Calvinist god, I don't understand but even asking them that question will get you labeled as emotional.

Ben is heavily into Calvinism, on fb he lists his religion as reformed baptist, I believe, but he also wrote a very long blog post on it in July 2012 about how true and wonderful

It is. His dad is also a Calvinist, having converted to that from regular baptist. But it caused a lot of controversy in the comments amongst his family. Can't link because it's private.

Also is this his sister? If so she seems like a real winner. :::eyeroll:: facebook.com/jessica.seewald.1

:pink-shock:

What irritates the fuck out of me about this is that Calvinists believe that all the good deeds people do are "laid onto their hearts by Jaysus." So if you do anything to help, it's not that you're helpful. Nope. Thanks be to GOD for MAKING you do it. It runs completely counter to free will.

Sounds like Steve Maxwell.

Also is this his sister? If so she seems like a real winner. :::eyeroll:: facebook.com/jessica.seewald.1

The Confederate flag. Nope.

I know that it is wrong to compare something with Nazism and the Holocaust but considering the number of people who died during the slave trade, I think that it is a fair to say that American slavery and the slave trade in general were as evil as Nazism. Glorifying the Confederate flag should be seen as equal to being proud of Nazi symbols

Why anyone would want to worship the Calvinist god, I don't understand but even asking them that question will get you labeled as emotional.

But you don't worship a calvinist god because you want to. You worship a Calvinist god because you've been predestined to.

Calvinism is an alternate reality. I really believe that.

I think what's so terrifying about Calvinism is that there's no assurance. You can spend your entire life trying to please the Calvinist God, but if you're not the elect, you're screwed.

The most extreme example of hyper Calvinism I’ve ever seen was when Douglas Wilson and Douglas Jones patiently explained to anti-abortion activists that only covenant fetuses are worth fighting for. And if Mom wants to have an abortion, it’s not a covenant fetus anyway, so the fight itself is pointless.

“The unbelievers are destroying themselves in a frenzy of child-murder and fruitless sodomy. Let them go. These are hard words. But Christians must learn to say them. Paul taught us that the children of God-haters are ‘foul’ or ‘unclean’ (1Cor. 7:14). We must come to the day when the Christian can truly rebuke those who are, ‘without natural affection’ and say: ‘The ancient psalmist blessed the one who would take little ones of those who hate God and dash them against the rock (Ps. 137:9). We see by your pro-abortion position that you clearly agree with this kind of treatment. And we in the Church, in a way you cannot truly comprehend, are now prepared to say amen.’â€

opc.org/OS/html/V6/2d.html

Well the Duggars were pretty into Vision Forum, and the Tool is a renowned Calvinist.

I don't think either of the Duggar parents are deep theological thinkers. As long as a suitor outwardly conforms to the legalism they are so hung up on he's fine.

Their standards seem to be solely "will you agree to not use birth control? will you agree to not have sex, kiss or touch too much before marriage? Ok, our daughter is yours." I will never get over how much it comes across that the only thing the Duggars ever think about is sex. It governs their entire lives. Nothing but sex.

Found this quote somewhere online years ago. Think it pretty well explains the dark side of Calvinism. :angry-banghead:

"God clearly creates some people specifically for the purpose of frying them forever ~ for His glory."

Not to mention the calvie kid I met who said his family could only hope the baby his mother miscarried was 'elect' and would go to heaven instead of hell.

:angry-banghead:

Archived