IGNORED

Sorry, Scotland

debrand

And a babelfish.

OF course because the only accent is American right? :lol:

I'd be up for it! Òran Mór is the first place that springs to mind.

And yeah. People here have heard of Jesus, don't you worry about that, missionaries.

I like Cottiers better than óran Mór ( got married there (Humanist celebrant)) but isn't there a a bathroom showroom in an old church on Dumbarton Road, there would be no no booze but I find it even more laughable that wat was once a "house of god" is now where you go to buy a new loo.

I like Cottiers better than óran Mór ( got married there (Humanist celebrant)) but isn't there a a bathroom showroom in an old church on Dumbarton Road, there would be no no booze but I find it even more laughable that wat was once a "house of god" is now where you go to buy a new loo.

I'm unreasonably jealous now. I always get a chuckle out of the decommissioned church around the corner, from mine, which is now a showroom for lighting fixtures. It lends itself to making bad jokes. But bathrooms? "Relieve your burdens in a private place" or "Furnish your prayer closet with extra amenities" or... no, I'm just going to stop there. :embarrassed:

My first thought was the "Finnegan's Wake" pub in Edinburgh, which would fulfil the requirements. But Òran Mór/Cottiers look rather nicer, in my opinion. Do we have to take missionaries though? They tend to bring out the former Catholic in me, and I wind up blessing myself liberally with my favourite sacrament then. I'd just like to remember a bit more about an FJ meet-up, than me going "Jesus, Mary and Joseph, pass the wine, will you?" :mrgreen:

Or the climbing centre on Paisley Road! I think it has a cafe haha :)

There seem to be so many FJers living in Scotland, that I've often been tempted to set up some kind of meet, in either Edinburgh or Glasgow. Preferably in a pub which used to be a church :D Having some foreign missionaries along would be great-- it would save us money on dinner.

DH's mother is from Glasgow and still has random family members there...we tend to visit once a year. Next time I will be back is summer of 2015 though :cry:

The story made me curious as to who else is reaching you godless Scottish heathens. :lol:

bibletruthbaptistchurch.org/ministries/missions-outreach/the-hodnett-family-missionaries-to-scotland/

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that these folks might be missing a little distinction between KNOWING nothing about Jesus and having no INTEREST (in) or DESIRE (to be) Jesus/Christian.

I know about a lot of things that I don't want to go out and try or be part of. It doesn't mean I'm uneducated on the subject. Missionaries (and I use that term loosely when it comes to most of the people we follow, because IMO going to a mostly Christian country to convert people because they aren't the right brand of Christian isn't really missionary work) would do well to learn that.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that these folks might be missing a little distinction between KNOWING nothing about Jesus and having no INTEREST (in) or DESIRE (to be) Jesus/Christian.

I know about a lot of things that I don't want to go out and try or be part of. It doesn't mean I'm uneducated on the subject. Missionaries (and I use that term loosely when it comes to most of the people we follow, because IMO going to a mostly Christian country to convert people because they aren't the right brand of Christian isn't really missionary work) would do well to learn that.

I think it might be more 'Say wha?' If a missionary assumes a Scot does not know Jesus.

Christianity was introduced to Scotland by the Romans. We then had the Irish missionaries, followed by the Augustinians in the 10th, 11th century.

Moving on, we have the Knights Templar, The Cistercians Cluniacs etc.

We muddled along through the Norman conquest and a few Papal schisms as you do. Black death and austerity, keep em lean treat em mean led to discord leading to reformation.

15th century Protestant reformation. Calvinism, Presbyterian. Some shit happened there was wars, caves, spiders, Jacobites and Episcopalians.

Contemporary 20th century Scotland saw some newbies. 42.4 per cent of the population identified with the Church of Scotland, 15.9 per cent with Catholicism and 6.8 with other forms of Christianity, making up roughly 65 per cent of the population as per 2001 census, so no idea where the 4 percent thing comes from.

OBVIOUSLY the major religion in Scotland is Rangers and Celtic. Some pretend it is not :lol:

So yes. Never heard of Jesus here :roll:

another one who would try and drop in on any snark based meetup

but seriously, in the name of the wee man, I think scotland has had enough religion to last it the next few millenia!

calvinism, the wee frees, the green and blue divide, hell, the whole King James Bible...

I had to look up the word, bawbag on Urban Dictionary. Now I want to be Scottish and get cool insults to use on people. Bawbag is just fun to say.

I was once a member of the Church of Christ (hangs head in shame). Now you know why I left. I can't believe they had the audacity to proselytize/brainwash a 5 year old to the point that he cried when his dad took the religious literature away from his son! Good for you dad! Don't let those crazies get inside your kid's head. They are definitely trying to brainwash as many people as they can....kind of like the IFBs. :angry-fire:

NOOOOOO! You missed his visit? His best pal is here now. It's better than TV. Well not as good as Game of Thrones but about as bad as TLC :lol:

Yes, I missed him. :mouse-shock:

I skimmed through Part 2 this morning. I lack the intestinal fortitude to go back to Part 1. :angry-banghead:

Perhaps we should suggest that TLC does a special on the Unwise Never Learning Woman and her Headship. Right up their alley.

1) You can know a lot about Jesus without believing in him. I know a lot about Santa Clauss, and I don't believe in him.

2) Only 4/ attending any kind of church ? I want to live in Scottland !

I see all the lovely suggestions of suitable locations in Glasgow, but really, wouldn't it be more fun to send them up to the Outer Hebrides?

US fundies v Wee Frees.

I had to look up the word, bawbag on Urban Dictionary. Now I want to be Scottish and get cool insults to use on people. Bawbag is just fun to say.

We had hurricane bawbag a few years ago! Far more appropriate name for a hurricane than "Katrina"!. Sitting here laughing now, had to use google to see how Katrina is spelt so I typed in hurricane and the autofill suggestions were "Katrina" followed by "bawbag"! Is this just because I'm in Scotland or does anyone else get this too?!

We had hurricane bawbag a few years ago! Far more appropriate name for a hurricane than "Katrina"!. Sitting here laughing now, had to use google to see how Katrina is spelt so I typed in hurricane and the autofill suggestions were "Katrina" followed by "bawbag"! Is this just because I'm in Scotland or does anyone else get this too?!

TRAMPOLINE! OH MY GOD!

I think sending the fundies back to the US is a job for John Smeaton.

"Come to Glasgow, we'll set about ye"

Apparently, missionaries from a US based church are working in a Scottish school

freethinker.co.uk/2013/09/07/church-of-christ-missionaries-who-regard-scotland-as-a-place-of-darkness-targets-primaryschool/

Have any of our Scottish members heard of this group?

Oh shit, they're in east kilbride?!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

*has read some more of the thread and realised that it is old. Thank goodness!*

Even better is how my Scottish friend described a young lady who was too free with her favors.

The town bike.

:lol:

I was sitting in a lecture by Passi Sahlberg (any article about how bloody wonderful the finnish education system is will quote him) and while doing a round of "where do you come from?" He asked me if I knew what a Glasgow kiss was...I really had to resist the urgeto do a demonstation on him for anyone in the lecture hall whodidn't know.

I see all the lovely suggestions of suitable locations in Glasgow, but really, wouldn't it be more fun to send them up to the Outer Hebrides?

US fundies v Wee Frees.

My father has a saying about Aberdeen being as cold and grey as a Presbyterians heart.

The really ironic thing is that he's a fundie and a Calvinist. At least he's honest, I guess.

Archived