IGNORED

Jill Duggar and Derick Dillard Engaged! - Part 2

happy atheist

I would imagine Derek's parents are Gothard. Not all are hard-core, skirts only, no college. My kids were in co-ed homeschool swimming classes with a Gothard family that allowed jeans, normal, yet modest, swimsuits and college. Not all are sold-out total extreme-o's. I'm guessing his are like that. Many Baptist Churches support Gothard's program, hold Basic Seminar's etc., so I would think that could figure into it too. He may hold the same beliefs but have never joined and will join upon marriage.

How exactly did JB and Derick become prayer buddies in the first place? Didn't know there was fundie lite Gothard followers :shock:

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How exactly did JB and Derick become prayer buddies in the first place? Didn't know there was fundie lite Gothard followers :shock:

The story goes that Derick emailed Jim Bob because he admired the family. I guess they started exchanging ideas and became prayer partners.

The story goes that Derick emailed Jim Bob because he admired the family. I guess they started exchanging ideas and became prayer partners.

I think we shouldn't judge based on using the word "praying". They pray about everything and have prayer partners. Normal people would say: "We're talking about adoption", the Duggars say "We're praying about adoption"... Probably they and Derick were more like penpals or something like this while he was on his missionary trip and were talking about stuff and discussing...

I thought Jim-Bob met him on a mission trip? Hmmmmm... back to do some research when I have time.

Makes sense. If you're a single dude of marriageable age & you're "Gothardized" (or you've seen the show & paid attention), then you know JB is where you begin. Let him know you're a right thinking, honorable man & he might letcha talk to one of his girls...

Makes sense. If you're a single dude of marriageable age & you're "Gothardized" (or you've seen the show & paid attention), then you know JB is where you begin. Let him know you're a right thinking, honorable man & he might letcha talk to one of his girls...

Yeah, I don't buy that he was only interested in being prayer partners. He was either after an introduction to the daughters or to one of Jim Bob's business connections. That doesn't mean that he's not a good guy, just shrewd and good at playing the fundie game. I think he'll be good to Jill.

Was just coming to post about Jill's engagement. I guess congrats to her. Does this now mean she will be living outside the USA since he does missionary work.

Was just coming to post about Jill's engagement. I guess congrats to her. Does this now mean she will be living outside the USA since he does missionary work.

I think this is likely. I also think Jill is jazzed about that fact.

9scv34.jpg

Here's a still from the People announcement (vid at the bottom of the page) featuring the ring. It appears to be a single princess cut diamond (Edit: according to E! it's a .63-carat diamond and white-gold ring he'd custom designed). She seems over the moon (wow, that was fast, part of me is wondering if they were just going to keep the two of them a secret until they were engaged)

I hope this means Ben and Jessa are taking it slow and waiting till he's 20??

Since he just started his job at Walmart, maybe they'll stay in AR for a while. She still has her midwife training to finish. Since he graduated from a real college, maybe he will encourage Jill to study at a real collage as well.

E! says the proposal was March 29, meaning they announced the courtship even though they were engaged. Jill must be tired of not wearing her ring/hiding her hand, or the wedding planning must be beginning. Otherwise, why not just announce Jill was engaged, and be like "bam internets, we hid this from you."

Ugh. Already with the hand sex. But seriously, they're adorable. I hope his fundie lite family tempts Jill away.

to me it sort of seems that they are already engaged - or is it that she is a little bit older and able to easier show enthusiasm

seems like my gut was right

Even though I have many issues with this family Jill seems out of this world happy and I wish her nothing but happiness.

They have a television network to keep happy. I'm not at all surprised.

Smuggar's wedding was supposed to feel like a typical DIY/ very Duggar wedding, but this is 5 years down the track, the story has moved on and the girls have very different personas to Smugs.

Archived