IGNORED

The Gwyneth Paltrow of Fundies: Better than you, here's how!

clarinetpower

keeperofthehomestead.com/1/post/2010/11/our-story.html

The rabbit hole, y'all? It is deep. Pour a glass of wine before you click, you'll thank me for it.

(Tried several times to edit to fix link code, and am apparently too dumb. :? Pouring my own glass of wine now...)

Well, if that doesn't explain some of her "1850s escapism fiction" in the previously mentioned post: keeperofthehomestead.com/1/post/2014/03/longing-for-yesteryear.html :| But if I were her, I'd dream about medical science progressing, instead of being a pioneer woman with no access to insulin and other medication for my kids.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where is she located? She mentions that she had a homestead in Tennessee, but then moved... if there are a lot of Amish around, it has to be Lancaster PA, Ohio, or Indiana, right?

They live in Tennessee. Michael and Debi Pearl, and some of their kids (Shalom is mentioned) lived close enough by that they visit back and forth. Fun times!

Their faux Amish interlude was in Wisconsin, I think, although I was too busy snorting derisively through posts from that time period and may be mistaken about the location.

Edited to add: Not sure she mentioned the actual location. They dress up "Amish", acquire a buggy, and Erin tries mightily to imitate everything Amish. It's like Doug (Phillips who is a tool) dressing up and pretending he's a passenger on the Titanic. Pathetic and insulting at the same time.

They can chicken. Not quite as disgusting as OKTBT's old avatar, but pretty revolting.

But if I were her, I'd dream about medical science progressing, instead of being a pioneer woman with no access to insulin and other medication for my kids.

QFT.

I'm guessing the _Little House on the Prairie_ getups are costumes for the blog rather than their real life clothes.

"Hello, My name is Erin. I spent most of my life in that den of iniquity that some call The Suburbs, doing evil things suburbanites do, like getting an eduction even though I have a vagina (shocking, I know). Even though I have a vagina, I didn't like to cook and clean! I was depressed and I didn't why. I have since turned away from all that evil and have embraced a life of Southern white poverty culture and ignorance and call it "Homesteading".

*edited for typo

What a surprise, another control freak who turned to hyper legalistic fundiedom and ultra controlling SAHMdom.

She was peeing a lot and I thought she was having a serious bladder infection. We didn't have health insurance, so we tried to treat her naturally with cranberry pills. Nothing worked, until finally, I could feel the bones poking out of her back. I remember one evening that I could feel her life slipping away. I held her all night long, praying, and crying out to the Lord for mercy. Her limp body laying in my arms. It happened all of a sudden the night before that she had become so weak and frail that I knew something terrible was wrong. Then, the next morning I brought her to a doctor in the nearby small town.

This right here? Not how good parents treat their seriously ill child. "I took my child to the clinic the day after I thought they were dying!" Completely insane.

So I went down the rabbit hole, and I find it interesting that when they were in Tennessee amongst the godly, she was expected to pay for help to care for her extremely sick daughter and husband. No talk of brothers and sisters in Christ serving up some of that vaunted Christian charity while Erin had to go out and earn some money, instead the family had to pack up and move back to Wisconsin so her heathen mother the RN could care for them.

What a surprise, another control freak who turned to hyper legalistic fundiedom and ultra controlling SAHMdom.

This right here? Not how good parents treat their seriously ill child. "I took my child to the clinic the day after I thought they were dying!" Completely insane.

link please?

FUCK. YOU. YOU. FUCKING. BITCH. Bladder infections are fucking AGONISING and not something to be fobbed off with herbal fuckery. What follows is straight up abuse. How could you let a child get to that point, no healthcare or not??

OK, that's enough internet for today.

This woman is nutty.

Apparently she no longer has short hair and no longer wears pants because she was given a verbal beat down by a drag queen in one of her college classes.

When I was 21 years old, married to Mark, pregnant with Miles, and attending my final year of college, I was looked down upon for rushing into marriage and children. I once had a class that was call Sociology. We had a "lady" walk in with long hair, a nice skirt on, and high heels. She started to talk and we all sat with amazement as her voice was that of a man! It was a real Man! He was married to a women and had children but he liked dressing like females. SICK! Then I stood up and ranted against it, the christian that I was. He yelled back at me..."Sit down lady, or should I say man? You have short hair, pants on, and look more like a boy than a girl. How come it is OKAY for you to look like a boy, but NOT okay for ME to look like a girl?" That woke me up totally. That is so true. It is okay for girls to wear pants and cut their hair really short. I started wearing dresses and growing my hair out from that point on. My husband loves the new look!

keeperofthehomestead.com/1/post/2010/07/mollys-modesty.html#comments

She's also apparently given up on using the phone because she is extremely afraid of accidentally violating one of her eleventy rules of phone etiquette.

And don't even get me started on Mom Bucks. How many Mom Bucks will it cost them to get their mother to stop being an oppressive patriarchal fundie?

They live in Tennessee. Michael and Debi Pearl, and some of their kids (Shalom is mentioned) lived close enough by that they visit back and forth. Fun times!

Their faux Amish interlude was in Wisconsin, I think, although I was too busy snorting derisively through posts from that time period and may be mistaken about the location.

Edited to add: Not sure she mentioned the actual location. They dress up "Amish", acquire a buggy, and Erin tries mightily to imitate everything Amish. It's like Doug (Phillips who is a tool) dressing up and pretending he's a passenger on the Titanic. Pathetic and insulting at the same time.

They can chicken. Not quite as disgusting as OKTBT's old avatar, but pretty revolting.

There are Amish in Tn, just not that many.

Oy vey. She states corsets were worn to improve posture. :roll:

That would be abuse to deprive a child of nourishment and food. This is just a homeschool fun project. You can start or stop it when ever you want. I have days I work it in and days I do not. We have fun with it like a contest:) My goodness, I would not advocate starving your child or putting pressure on a sick child. That is just plain cruelty.

My children are precious to me and I treat them with respect. They are my best friends. I would never put things on them to cause them harm. It is meant to be a fun game. Quit the game if it does not work for you. Don't play the game if it does not seem logical or helpful. I do not ever claim to know it all. I know when to stop if something is getting bad results. I would NEVER use this for anything besides a fun incentive. If the fun is gone, the game is over.

As all things in life, we must always use moderation. If something seems to cross the line and become a situation that feels like it is having negative results, STOP immediately and try another idea. I hope this helps clarify:)

Her response to someone asking if she forces her kids to go without if they don't want to pay or if they don't have enough.

Wonder if she applys that to.training her childre. (And she needs to be reading Ask Jackie, a homesteader, who would.never.use a water bath canner to can potatoes or other nonacidic foods)

This woman is nutty.

Apparently she no longer has short hair and no longer wears pants because she was given a verbal beat down by a drag queen in one of her college classes.

keeperofthehomestead.com/1/post/2010/07/mollys-modesty.html#comments

She's also apparently given up on using the phone because she is extremely afraid of accidentally violating one of her eleventy rules of phone etiquette.

And don't even get me started on Mom Bucks. How many Mom Bucks will it cost them to get their mother to stop being an oppressive patriarchal fundie?

Wow, what a bitch. Who cares if this guy likes dressing like a woman, she stood up and yelled at him during a college class. (Im assuming he from what she said, but for all I know this person could have been transgender, or someone who identifies as a non binary gender and just happened to wear womens clothes today, cause its not like a fundie who would be that disrespectful would understand things like that).

They are right that it is a double standard that if a man does feminine things or wears a skirt, it is less of a big deal than a woman who does masculine things.

keeperofthehomestead.com/1/category/homemaking/1.html

Well, that kids are going places... definitely not colleges, but places - and maybe international news some day in the future :?

"Well, I sold Junior some of my old legos for $100MOM BUCKS. I earned money for chores. I sold Megan my pony for $100 MOM BUCKS plus $25 real dollars. Miles bought $200 MOM BUCKS from me with $40 real dollars and now I have just enough to buy the neighbors high quality automatic air soft gun."

Miles would come into the kitchen many times with no money to buy food. He is my little talker. He will start a job and before you know it, he will grab the phone and call someone to tell them about some great idea that he already told all of us 150 times. Yes, 150 times! He obsesses over certain ideas. BUT, he makes it happen! If he wants a gun or a horse or a bike, he will work for pay on weekends with a concrete company and earn what he needs in order to pay for it.

WTH?!?! How old is Miles again....?!

Also, this Mom is ... well, I´ll say it out loud now, she is a COMPLETE FAILURE - yes, that´s what she is! There, I said it! :x ->

Since they have so many MOM BUCKS in their pockets, it is time for INFLATION! The cost of goods just went up.

Of course, just like adults start whining about gas prices going up and other food price inflations, my kids started to protest as expected. I respond with a calm, sweet voice, "Oh, complain all you want, but you will still have to pay $5 MOM BUCKS for supper tonight." And 5 MOM BUCKS they payed:)

This woman should clearly not have children!

I *do* think this lady is cray-cray.

THAT SAID.

I'm really curious how much of the blog is her attempt to monetize and capitalize on the fundie homesteader blog market. There's just something kind of fake and plastic about it.

I *do* think this lady is cray-cray.

THAT SAID.

I'm really curious how much of the blog is her attempt to monetize and capitalize on the fundie homesteader blog market. There's just something kind of fake and plastic about it.

I truly get the same feeling. I also am not entirely sure I believe her sob stories. So many tragic things healthwise. I know it's possible but my BS meter is pinging.

I truly get the same feeling. I also am not entirely sure I believe her sob stories. So many tragic things healthwise. I know it's possible but my BS meter is pinging.

Mine isn't so much pinging as crying out into the darkness. But I haven't made it through the whole archive to start to pick at inconsistencies...

The mom bucks system actually seems like a really good way to teach kids about how the real world works... Only, I would never actually use it for real things... I'd probably make it into some kind of game where like, they buy pretend food at the pretend grocery store, or a pretend house which os really a cardboard box (heh, kids LOVE cardboard boxes) etc. and we'd probably drop it after a few hours.

Making your kids pay for food? Disturbing.

"You know how Miles barely has enough money to eat?"

Okay, FLASHBACK...Ah yes, I see it now. Miles was alway just scraping by, like many adults do. They just work enough to pay the bills and are always broke."

She knows her kid babrely has enough mom bucks to eat already but increase the cost of the meals. WTH

Yeah, I'm not sure. She seems so manic, it makes me wonder if this is real or just another troll. However, there are photos, which Ruth never gave.

This one doesn't strike me as a Ruth-style facetious troll as much as someone exaggerating the heck out of 'real life' (ie, they have animals, but how actually self sustaining they are is questionable), they may have land but don't actively do more than a token garden, are 'homesteaders' but someone has an off-farm income and she's a SAHM with a really, really nice house and yard and lots of pets-type situation. (Which is perfectly fine! Nothing wrong with that, and most people I know who farm DO have someone in the family working in town- but well, the self-sustaining family farm that she presents just seems Off somehow.)

Just a little research showed an Erin Harrison in her 30's living very close to Debi Pearl in Tennessee, so I don't think she is entirely fictional.

Also, I wonder if part of the way they financed this whole enterprise was a lawsuit against the hospital. If her injuries are close to true, they were negligent. Her claims about making enough money to buy a house by photographing weddings for a summer is absolutely ridiculous. For her, everything is either 1000% or -1000%. There is no middle ground. There's pretty much no way she could be telling the honest-to-God truth.

Manic, yes. Plastic Christian, yes. Insane, yes. Liar, yes. But she ain't Ruth.

I find it hilarious how she assumes everyone dreams of "homesteading" and being a farmer or whatever. No way in hell would I enjoy that.

Archived