IGNORED

The Gwyneth Paltrow of Fundies: Better than you, here's how!

clarinetpower

There might be another place where she talks about it, but she does this Mom Bucks thing(which I don't think is that bad) and got a letter from a woman who said this:

My kids have become so thankful for the chance to work, they are thankful for the food they buy, they are thrilled to charge/hire one another to do jobs for them. It is teaching all of us so much, even down to my two year old. He is learning that four 50¢ bills are worth $2, and that work makes food and that work is a blessing. And the lessons go up from there for each child!

I would not make my kids pay for regular food. I could see some extra special treat the might want to save up for, but regular food, nope. I also wouldn't pay my kids to do regular chores around the house. That is just part of living in a family, IMO. We all work together to keep things clean. Going beyond the regular cleaning(another reader mentions washing down the outsides of appliances so things like that)I could see rewarding them with the Mom Bucks system.

I haven't read all about her system, but it doesn't see that horrible. Much better than spanking them.

She is a friend of Debi Pearl. She spanks.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. That "Me Monster" suicide attempt post was a serious WTF. I feel dirty even reading it. Depression is selfish? Whatever you say, honey. I should have stuck to the canned potatoes. Her web design is amazing, even those little recipes cards for that garbage food. Somebody put a lot of work into the design of this blog.

keeperofthehomestead.com/1/post/2014/03/longing-for-yesteryear.html

This post is one of the most delusional things I've read in my entire life. Seriously, the revisionist history shit drives me absolutely bonkers.

This post is one of the most delusional things I've read in my entire life. Seriously, the revisionist history shit drives me absolutely bonkers.

WTF did I just read? :o You could watch/read Little House on the Prairie and have a more nuanced and accurate view of history.

Homesteaders in general drive me mad about that. I get wanting to be more self sufficient and reducing your carbon footprint or whatever, but lets not pretend that the time before modern transportation and modern medicine were something so idealize.

However, I must say this line

He is sweaty and the dirt just rolls off his brow like dew off the grass in the early morning.

sounds straight out of some dirty fanfiction

Found a new one. Didn't find her in searches. This came via a friend on FB who is fundie light. She's also good friends with the Pearls.

Oh, and she's better than you at EVERYTHING. House cleaning! Homesteading! Organizing! Canning! Faith! Phone Etiquette! Visit Etiquette! And she's researched it to the Civil War era, so you know it's extra good. But she's extra special Speshul because she used to be bad at everything and evil and broken and horrid (going to a prestigious college and all) so you KNOW her conversion makes yours possible. And she sells DVDs of her experiences, which make her sob.

Meet Erin! Enjoy!

keeperofthehomestead.com

Let me thank you for alerting us to this absolute snarkapalooza of a blog! Apparently, this was a city-dwellin', college-goin' family until Erin read Created to Be His Help-Meet. They became Pearl acolytes, and even moved to Tennessee--twice!--to work for them. Erin just illustrated Debi's book on home-schooling. There was also an interlude when they became faux Amish, but could never figure out why their Amish neighbours didn't welcome them with open arms. The obsession with etiquette (as described in 19th century guides) is extra annoying.

They seem to have lots of give-aways, in case anyone is pining to emulate them. I know I don't know how I've managed to exist this long without fancy fishing lures and wooden washboards for my laundry!

That spring of 2007 we started filming the Homesteading for Beginners DVD. It was reality for us. Some days I was discouraged because my husband would be so sick with lime disease and it was while we were dealing with our daughter nearly dying from complications with diabetes. It was hard. You will see me not looking so happy in front of the camera, but I was on a mission to produce that video, come rain or come shine.

Does she make the daughter with diabetes pay for her meals, too?

Does she make the daughter with diabetes pay for her meals, too?

Yes. And her insulin. :lol: ... :?

I would not make my kids pay for regular food. I could see some extra special treat the might want to save up for, but regular food, nope.

So much this. Fancy dessert? Sure. Movie night? Sounds like a great idea. Breakfast, lunch, or dinner? NOPE. NO F'ING WAY. One, because get a freaking grip, just in general. Two, because hello jacked up relationship with food (much like many of our other "favorite" fundies). Three, because even if you're willing to ignore one and two, the economics after this recent "inflation" are absurd. BLD alone - no snacks, no dessert, no other privileges or "charges" for bad behavior - is $15. Looking at the payment list, that is a crazy amount of chores for a kid...

Where is she located? She mentions that she had a homestead in Tennessee, but then moved... if there are a lot of Amish around, it has to be Lancaster PA, Ohio, or Indiana, right?

A person with a diabetic child longing for Yesteryear? That's BS. When you have a diabetic child you thank the gods that you live now and not 30 years ago or 50 years ago or 100 years ago when your child might be dead because of lack of medical advances.

1) :pink-shock: Cleaning out the vehicle is worth more than milking a cow? Have you milked a cow..by hand!!! How damn dirty is the vehicle that it is worth more to clean it out than milk a 1 ton stinky smelly dirty cow?

2) So movie family night is $5 mom bucks...what if I don't want to go..wonder how that works.

3) Who makes their kids pay for meals? WTH that is $2 buck per meal x 3 meals =$6 bucks a day x 7 days = $42 mom bucks a week. Not including snacks which most kids need (growing bodies & minds you know). So roughly, lets say 7 snacks a week at $2 = $14 a week. Just to eat normally her kids are looking at $56 mom bucks a week. Is there enough chores for this??? Holly crap, she has five kids the numbers they don't add up. One kid can only milk one cow once a day and a shelf and refrigerator can only be clean out so often.

4) I wonder if any of them have eating issues?

And then they are forced to give away 10% once they have 100

Just 10% for tithing? They forgot about federal, social security, medicare, and states taxes. Also, it doesn't seem like the kids pay rent. :roll:

Yes. And her insulin. :lol: ... :?

Please telling me you are kidding? :pink-shock:

That is cruel :(

$1 per hour of free time, $2 per meal :( This isn't something a child should pay for, its something that children should have a lot of. What if her kids use up their money in arguing and misbehaving before it is lunch time-does she make them go the day without food?

They have to do 6 lots of chores per day (at $1 per chore, which seems to be the most common one, or less chores if they do the ones for more money) if they want three meals, plus another two for a snack, which growing kids seem to need, and another one for just one hour of playing (which is not enough!).

"The kids needed some clothing, so they payed for thrift store clothes with the Mom Bucks they saved up. I would have bought them the clothing either way, but thought it would be fun to charge them $5 Mom Bucks for each thing they picked out. It makes the shopping all the more fun for them! "

How does choosing between having mom bucks for food or using them for a piece of clothing that is needed fun? does she charge the girls for tampons and pads too?

Most thrift stores I know of charge less than five dollars per article of clothing, especially kids clothes. She is ripping them off. I could understand if it was the WalMart clearance rack. Not a thrift store.

Please telling me you are kidding? :pink-shock:

I was def. Kidding. I have no idea what all they make their kids pay for.

keeperofthehomestead.com/1/post/2010/11/our-story.html

The rabbit hole, y'all? It is deep. Pour a glass of wine before you click, you'll thank me for it.

(Tried several times to edit to fix link code, and am apparently too dumb. :? Pouring my own glass of wine now...)

keeperofthehomestead.com/1/post/2010/11/our-story.html

The rabbit hole, y'all? It is deep. Pour a glass of wine before you click, you'll thank me for it.

(Tried several times to edit to fix link code, and am apparently too dumb. :? Pouring my own glass of wine now...)

Whoa. WTF. Why do these idiots never have health insurance? I am amused at the irony of the giant Obamacare ad.

Archived