IGNORED

Ex FLDS member gets custody of his kids- Jeffs testifies

That's brilliant news :) Im glad he got custody of his children and that they can go to school and have normal lives :)

One of my friends is the guardian ad litem (legal representative) for the children. She was very much in favor of having the father get custody, because the mothers could not guarantee that the daughters would not be married* off in an underage** marriage nor that the sons wouldn't be kicked out because they ran afoul of the leadership. My friend and Roger Hoole (the attorney for Loren Holm) went out to Palestine, Texas, recently to take Warren's deposition at the prison there. It was apparently a rather creepy experience. Obviously, my friend is *very* happy about the results of this case.

* Apparently there haven't been any official FLDS marriages since 2006, when Warren Jeffs was taken into custody. More recently, Jeffs has apparently "dissolved" the marriages of everyone who was already married and told them they could not have any more children. Unless, of course, they wanted to have children by a few specially-designated men in the community. (You should see the faces I'm making.)

** An underage marriage would be illegal. It's uncertain what the legal status of a polygamous marriage is in Utah, what with the Brown case and all.

I want to go up to the twin cities, not so much for the polygamists, but because there's some very spectacular red rock scenery quite nearby. (If these guys weren't so insular, they could run a great tourist trade on the scenery.) However, to be safe, I'd need to bring along my boyfriend, and he's not that interested in (a) photography and (b) polygamy.

This is good news. I am taking that finally, finally, some is happening to help these kids escape the abusive FLDS life. Some girls will not be forced into an underage marriage and even if not underage, a marriage they may not want and the boys don't just get turned out.

My sister lives in St. George and she knows one woman who has taken in a few lost boys. It's heartbreaking to what this lifestyle does to children of both genders.

@Mirele, have driven through the twin cities and the scenery in the area is beautiful but we didn't want to get out and walk around because we were concerned how much we would stand out. Mr. No dresses conservatively enough and might even pass for an FLDS in dress but not me and my red-streaked short hair! Jeffs was big in the news at the time and we didn't want to spook people there. So get your concerns.

That's brilliant news :) Im glad he got custody of his children and that they can go to school and have normal lives :)

Same here!

There are some religions who I honestly think should automatically lose custody of kids. I know probably no one will agree with me, but there are some religions where it's just so damned common for kids to be married, like the LDS church, that the risk if just too great.

There are some religions who I honestly think should automatically lose custody of kids. I know probably no one will agree with me, but there are some religions where it's just so damned common for kids to be married, like the LDS church, that the risk if just too great.

They should lose custody. Now I don't like the foster care system but no 13/14 year old should be getting married and having kids with a man who have three other wives. I wish they would take action in other countries of child brides.

Archived