IGNORED

Growth of women in economy has clear benefits: Fed's Yellen

salex

reuters.com/article/2014/03/25/us-usa-fed-yellen-idUSBREA2O1P420140325'>

reuters.com/article/2014/03/25/us-usa-fed-yellen-idUSBREA2O1P420140325

Herself one of the most powerful policymakers globally today, Yellen said the success of the United States since the 1970s, including the sustained growth of family incomes, coincided with the fuller contribution of women in the economy.

"(T)he benefits of greater participation for women, it seems to me, are clear and substantial," she said. "As we continue to make progress in recovering from the Great Recession, our country is going to need the best efforts, ideas and talent it can muster to succeed in an increasingly competitive global economy."

Text of her speech

http://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/speech/yellen20140325a.htm

For me, one lesson from history is that it is no coincidence that America's great success in the past century came as women steadily increased their participation in every aspect of society. Starting with gaining the vote, just a few years before International Women's Day, "The American Century," as it's sometimes known, was also a century of progress for women. Fundamental to our country's values, to those ideals that have been and continue to be so influential around the world, is the principle of equality for all, including for women.

Actually, many studies have shown this to be true. Microbanks, and many world charity organizations, have found a direct correlation between giving women economic power (the ability to support themselves and their families) and improved conditions for their children and communities in general.

My master's thesis actually involves this topic. I'm studying why Japan has such a low fertility rate, and to do so I compared Japan to a higher fertility rate nation (Norway) and one with a similarly low fertility rate (Italy). Turns out that women will choose not to have children if they are forced out of the work place by 'traditional values'. And that for every 10% of children age 1-5 in daycare there is a .1 jump in fertility rate. Another reason women choose not to marry or have children is lack of male participation in the home. Japanese and Italian men do a pathetic amount of housework and childcare, while Norwegian men do the most.

On top of that, lack of women's participation in the work force may contribute to the poor economic conditions that also suppress fertility rates.

Essentially, feminism leads to MORE babies, not less.

My master's thesis actually involves this topic. I'm studying why Japan has such a low fertility rate, and to do so I compared Japan to a higher fertility rate nation (Norway) and one with a similarly low fertility rate (Italy). Turns out that women will choose not to have children if they are forced out of the work place by 'traditional values'. And that for every 10% of children age 1-5 in daycare there is a .1 jump in fertility rate. Another reason women choose not to marry or have children is lack of male participation in the home. Japanese and Italian men do a pathetic amount of housework and childcare, while Norwegian men do the most.

On top of that, lack of women's participation in the work force may contribute to the poor economic conditions that also suppress fertility rates.

Essentially, feminism leads to MORE babies, not less.

I think the Economist had an article about Japanese women with kids being recruited to Hong Kong and CHina--and their moving because they were treated much better as working mothers. I posted a link in the last month about that very thing... birth rates go up again after teh drop related to afflucence in areas where good child care options for working mothers exist.

Exactly that. Japan has a serious day care shortage. The hunt for day care is so bad that it is compared to the quest to get into an elite Japanese college. Tokyo alone is short like 20,000 spots alone. And Japanese women can't get au pairs or foreign nannies. And even if women do find day care, their coworkers are real dicks about women leaving 'early' to pick kids up from day care.

What's great is that my paper is a direct refutation of this asshole grad student who I saw present when I was a college freshmen. His thesis was that the fertility rate in Japan was low because feminism made women selfish. I shit you not, he then said "My wife doesn't mind staying home with the kids, and she has a masters degree" and "she likes to take care of the house and won't let me help". :liar:

Exactly that. Japan has a serious day care shortage. The hunt for day care is so bad that it is compared to the quest to get into an elite Japanese college. Tokyo alone is short like 20,000 spots alone. And Japanese women can't get au pairs or foreign nannies. And even if women do find day care, their coworkers are real dicks about women leaving 'early' to pick kids up from day care.

What's great is that my paper is a direct refutation of this asshole grad student who I saw present when I was a college freshmen. His thesis was that the fertility rate in Japan was low because feminism made women selfish. I shit you not, he then said "My wife doesn't mind staying home with the kids, and she has a masters degree" and "she likes to take care of the house and won't let me help". :liar:

What? That sounds like she was "dying to self daily" and I'm betting she wasn't even Christian!

How could that be? ; 0

He was known as a pompous, Asian fetishizing douchebag around the whole department. With questionable research skills, as even a cursory search would reveal most women find the baby bonus thing really insulting. I still kick myself for not having the guts to ask questions when he was presenting. Oh well. 6 years later I have my 'No, you're wrong' paper.

Janet Yellen used to be Mr. Hick's boss. He loves her.

[it makes me happy to type that]

Archived