IGNORED

Break off the courtship and you might end up alone?

freehannie

I think that often, family members see the flaws in a potential partner of a family member and then come to see the good in that person as they get to know them better. Family members are naturally protective, so I think we hone in on those bad qualities (that everyone has) in order to try and watch out for our relatives.

How many fathers disliked/disapproved of/hated their daughter's spouse or bf at first and then came to love and appreciate him? It's not exactly uncommon.

In a normal world, this is balanced out by the daughter or relative seeing mainly the good in their partner and highlighting this to their family. Over time, both parties will come to have a more balanced view of the partner.

Of course, this doesn't happen in the fundie world. Guys have to go through dad first, and no one is EVER good enough for their little girl at first. The only people who get through are those who either have the right connections that make them appealing to daddy (come from a "Royal" family, work at HQ, child of a senator, etc) or people who have an uncommon ability to charm and flatter (which could indicate an unsavory character).

I'm not surprised at this phenomenon at all.

:pink-shock: :o :( :cray-cray:

I'm curious to know how the asshole who wrote this found his wife. I"m betting he dated.

Smuggar had a failed courtship, as did one of the Maxwell boys. Zach Bates had one too. Zach and Smuggar are now married, and I don't know about the Maxwell boy.

I think two of the Maxwell boys had broken courtships. Christopher had one and he's now married to Anna. Joseph was actually engaged to Elizabeth Munck and she called it off less than one week before the wedding, supposedly right before her bridal shower. He's not married or courting again as far was we know. I think that one really was an arranged marriage as Elizabeth and Joseph met a total of 3/4 times before they were supposed to get married.

I actually think broken courtships are fairly common, they just don't implode as spectacularly as a handful of famous ones. Of course a lot of people seem to call them "previous successful courtships" which seems no different from acknowledging that an ex or old relationship really helped you grow.

Smuggar had a failed courtship, as did one of the Maxwell boys. Zach Bates had one too. Zach and Smuggar are now married, and I don't know about the Maxwell boy.

Yes, but do we have any female examples?

There's a huge double standard in that when boys have a failed courtship it's totally OK and they are still marriage material.

Girls are the damaged goods.

Edited to Add: And the post beginning this thread specifically was geared towards girls, so I think that is something to consider.

Hey, I broke off a marriage, and now I'm "alone." BIG DAMN DEAL. I have friends, a family, a career, a home, can support myself--don't need a penised person to survive and be happy.

:pink-shock: :o :( :cray-cray:

YOUR DAUGHTER IS A HUMAN WITH THOUGHTS AND FEELINGS, NOT A BREEDING HEIFER.

Some people should not have children.

Dating and break ups may leave you sad but definitely wiser. Fundies don't want you wiser. They want you scared.

Yes, but do we have any female examples?

There's a huge double standard in that when boys have a failed courtship it's totally OK and they are still marriage material.

Girls are the damaged goods.

Edited to Add: And the post beginning this thread specifically was geared towards girls, so I think that is something to consider.

Two of the McDonald daughters had broken courtships; one is married with two kids, and the other just got engaged. Another McDonald daughter is married to the guy who had a broken courtship with the engaged McDonald daughter. (If that made sense!)

What little girl dreams of breastfeeding!? :roll:

I always did...I would watch my mother feed my 7 years younger little brother and imitate. With my dolls, I mean, not with baby brother.

I always did...I would watch my mother feed my 7 years younger little brother and imitate. With my dolls, I mean, not with baby brother.

On a funny note, my little brother did this too, when he was really little. When I was 5ish and he was 2ish we would both breastfeed our dolls.

On a funny note, my little brother did this too, when he was really little. When I was 5ish and he was 2ish we would both breastfeed our dolls.

Aw! That reminds me of how before I was born my mother bought my older brother a baby doll to get him accustomed to the idea of a new baby. He still had it years after I was born and I remember him playing with it with me a couple times. My fundie parents were actually much more easygoing about gender roles like who does what work and what toys are permissible than many mainstream people, even, and that is something I really appreciate nowadays.

Autumn's abusive husband aced the daddy interview; and we all remember how that turned out.

That blog post just oozes anger. Ain't no way it's fiction. Somebody got dumped and is still pissed about it.

Somewhere online, I read about a woman whose toddler boy used to breastfeed his toy Dalek.

Archived