IGNORED

Bill Gothard Sexual Misconduct Investigation - Part 2

happy atheist

I'm sure that he hasn't. Because he couldn't deny, even to himself, that that was wrong. As it stands with his creepy footsie games and emotional abuse, he can claim to be "pure" and that it's other people that are just misunderstanding. I mean, I don't believe it for a second, but self-righteousness is a really powerful force.

Mr. Right....Meet Mr. Left.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was looking through some pictures from, Living the Journey. Surprised to see parents are still sending their kids there. Then again, I'm sure a few actually went because they enjoy it. Looks like the last time any Duggars went was Sept 2013. Only saw Jana and Jinger in the photo. Guess Jessa was too busy courting and Jill too busy delivering babies and being pin pals with Derick :roll:

I was looking through some pictures from, Living the Journey. Surprised to see parents are still sending their kids there. Then again, I'm sure a few actually went because they enjoy it. Looks like the last time any Duggars went was Sept 2013. Only saw Jana and Jinger in the photo. Guess Jessa was too busy courting and Jill too busy delivering babies and being pin pals with Derick :roll:

I'm wondering since this whole scandal and the Duggars promoting gothard if more people are joining. I see more comments everyday from fans commenting on how well behaved and polite the Duggars are and how we need more people like them in the world :shock: some even said they would send their kid to ATI

I'm wondering since this whole scandal and the Duggars promoting gothard if more people are joining. I see more comments everyday from fans commenting on how well behaved and polite the Duggars are and how we need more people like them in the world :shock: some even said they would send their kid to ATI

I think a lot of people raised outside 'the system' are not as aware as they might be about the dangers inherent in the system.

I mean, it's rather like people who hear about nice commune, where people form a family they choose instead of one determined by biology and where former juvenile delinquents can find a support structure and leave the hippie dream that revolves around Beatles music and free love...and then find out they're endorsing the Manson Family.

"I could see sending my kid there" is a scary slide toward the vortex of fundiedom--plenty of people stay on the edge of the wirlpool and never get sucked into it--they get the positives of community and faith and all that w/o the negatives. Others let themsevles inch closer to the center without realizing what it's capable of--because all they've seen is the pretty clouds around the edges.

(I think my metaphor is breaking down)

What dawbs said. People who would consider ATI and its ilk tend to be rule-followers looking for a perfect life with everything under control: nothing will *ever* go wrong as long as you do what you're told. Should things go awry, they'd just blame themselves for not trying hard enough.

So we now have a public statement from IBLP. Recovering Grace just posted it on facebook. iblp.org/news/time-transition

It's more than I expected from them. I don't think it's enough, but it sounds like he may be gone for good this time given his age.

Until Bill Gothard admits to what he did, that it was wrong and heinous to families, women, and children. There is nothing this BoD has to say that I want to hear. This is basically a non-apology. The BoD can take that letter and shove it up their collective asses. Fuck them! Bill Gothard is a dangerous false prophet!

David Waller was Gothard's personal assistant. I am curious as to whether they kept him pending the Board's decision. If Gothard is out for good, and given his age it's likely, does Davey still have a job? I'm sure the new guy has his own cadre of assistants/bodyguards as is typical with these types. Where does that leave Our Pecan Thief?

At any rate, the statement just shows how the "internal investigation" conducted by Gibbs Jr. overturned exactly what anyone with half a brain predicted: nothing beyond what was already admitted to.

I hope there's a young woman out there who has been injured more recently who has the courage to take this one step further and nail this fucker to the wall as he so deserves.

I'm going to title my post,

Bill, We Just Can't Quit You

A few quotes from the statement on the IBLP Web site:

"In response to allegations against Bill Gothard, the Board sought the facts through a confidential and thorough review process conducted by outside legal counsel."

"At this point, based upon those willing to be interviewed, no criminal activity has been discovered. If it had been, it would have been reported to the proper authorities immediately, as it will be in the future if any such activity is revealed."

However, the review showed that Mr. Gothard has acted in an inappropriate manner, and the Board realizes the seriousness of his lack of discretion.

"We believe God still desires to use Bill Gothard for His work in the Kingdom of God"

"We want to encourage reconciliation within families and are very supportive of efforts toward reconciliation with Mr. Gothard or with IBLP."

So, foot fetishes and sexual obsession are OK, just a wee bit inappropriate, and it sounds like his main crime was not hiding it sufficiently.

"The Board realizes the seriousness of his lack of discretion."

This just infuriates me. They are still stonewalling, covering their asses, and basically saying, Move along, nothing to see here. No apology and recognition that there were victims harmed in so many ways.

They just Do. Not. Get. It. and they never will.

Let me translate:

"We originally tried to ignore this in hopes that it would all go away, but when it didn't and we couldn't cover it up like we did in the 80's we decided to have an "investigation". If we could have spun this "investigation" to show that Bill was a pure as the driven snow we would have. But those horribly bitter ex-students insisted on plastering their stories all over the internet so we have to at least pretend we are bothered by what Bill did. We really aren't, though. We said that he "lacked discretion" which is sufficiently vague enough that his loyal followers won't think he did anything too bad. Plus we said he didn't "avoid the appearance of evil" which implies that he didn't actually do anything wrong, it was just that he appeared to do something wrong. But since Bill isn't going to give up his empire, we are going to wait an appropriate amount of time, say he is "reconciled", slowly put him back into his position and hope that nobody notices. Anyone who continues to say bad things about Bill is not following the Bible because they are supposed to come and reconcile with Bill and then forget all this ever happened. The board is more than happy to help you do this because we really want all these ex-students to shut the fuck up. We want this to go away as fast as possible."

hmmmm seems my post was eaten :(

lets try again!

Question, these girls that go to the journey to the heart retreats.. they all have a one on one counseling session with Bill... Why is that ok?

No male dr I know is allowed to be alone with a female patient without another female in the room for legal reasons..

I know hes not a medical doctor., but he is counseling them.. Ive never had a male therapist so Im unsure how that works. Its just so disgusting and i cannot believe that people are still sending their daughters there.

Whos doing the one on ones now? Dr Paine? whos an ACTUAL doctor, so he cant be alone with the girls.

This is spot on in every way, insightful and well, just damned brilliant! You nailed it them.

Let me translate:

"We originally tried to ignore this in hopes that it would all go away, but when it didn't and we couldn't cover it up like we did in the 80's we decided to have an "investigation". If we could have spun this "investigation" to show that Bill was a pure as the driven snow we would have. But those horribly bitter ex-students insisted on plastering their stories all over the internet so we have to at least pretend we are bothered by what Bill did. We really aren't, though. We said that he "lacked discretion" which is sufficiently vague enough that his loyal followers won't think he did anything too bad. Plus we said he didn't "avoid the appearance of evil" which implies that he didn't actually do anything wrong, it was just that he appeared to do something wrong. But since Bill isn't going to give up his empire, we are going to wait an appropriate amount of time, say he is "reconciled", slowly put him back into his position and hope that nobody notices. Anyone who continues to say bad things about Bill is not following the Bible because they are supposed to come and reconcile with Bill and then forget all this ever happened. The board is more than happy to help you do this because we really want all these ex-students to shut the fuck up. We want this to go away as fast as possible."

So David Gibbs Jr was the "outside source" for the investigation.. Hes a freaking GUEST speaker at ATI.. thats like telling Jim Bob to do it or Gil Bates...

So it was an internal investigation NOT a third party one..

What a load of shit IBLP is.

After reading it again I see they gave themselves a loophole to bring him back immediately.

Mr. Gothard is not permitted to serve in any counseling, leadership, or Board role within the IBLP ministry.

They gives him a whooooole lot of other stuff he can do. If they meant he couldn't do anything within the "ministry" they would have said so, but they mentioned only three, specific areas, and trust me where he couldn't serve, they did that on purpose. I would not be surprised if Gothard wrote this himself.

hmmmm seems my post was eaten :(

lets try again!

Question, these girls that go to the journey to the heart retreats.. they all have a one on one counseling session with Bill... Why is that ok?

No male dr I know is allowed to be alone with a female patient without another female in the room for legal reasons..

I know hes not a medical doctor., but he is counseling them.. Ive never had a male therapist so Im unsure how that works. Its just so disgusting and i cannot believe that people are still sending their daughters there.

Whos doing the one on ones now? Dr Paine? whos an ACTUAL doctor, so he cant be alone with the girls.

I had a male therapist and we met privately, but he also had professional standards he was supposed to adhere to. Gothard had nothing like that, plus this was in a culture where girls were NEVER supposed to be in situations like that with men they're not related to.

From christianpost.com:

"Bill Gothard Cleared of 'Criminal Activity' But Chastised for 'Lack of Discretion' After Sexual Harassment Claims"

Bill Gothard, founder of the conservative Christian nonprofit Institute for Basic Life Principles, resigned from leadership after allegations of rampant sexual harassment.

The conservative Christian organization from which founder Bill Gothard resigned four months ago amid allegations of sexual harassment revealed in a contested statement that it has found no criminal activity but will maintain its ban against Gothard's participation in the nonprofit. Gothard, meanwhile, insists his "intent was never to harass" alleged victims.

A statement written by the board of the Institute in Basic Life Principles, an education-oriented nonprofit that promotes "God's principles found in Scripture," reveals:

"In response to allegations against Bill Gothard, the board sought the facts through a confidential and thorough review process conducted by outside legal counsel. Many people were interviewed, including former board members, current and past staff members, current and past administrators, parents, and family members.

"At this point, based upon those willing to be interviewed, no criminal activity has been discovered. If it had been, it would have been reported to the proper authorities immediately, as it will be in the future if any such activity is revealed."

However, Gothard was found to have "acted in an inappropriate manner" and shown "lack of discretion and failure to follow Christ's example of being blameless and above reproach."

Mr. Right....Meet Mr. Left.

He knows how to dance right up to the line but not go over it. Not over line = pure in his mind.

This man has been living with a sexual fetish for his entire adult life. I'm sure he is very, very good at compartmentalizing. It may be that he used the footsie, stroking, hugging, etc. as just a prelude for things he acted out in a solo fantasy life.

He may actually be virgin in terms of PiV sex.

As I mentioned earlier, all the legalism, purity, restrictions, guilt yada yada in IBLP may simply compensate for the hidden but out of control aspects of his life.

According to RG there was at least one person interviewed during the "investigation" that told them of illegal activity that took place and Bill ignored. Not surprised they pretended that didn't happen. They also didn't even attempt to question any of the women who shared their story on RG.

"I just have a desire to work with and encourage the young people that I have served in the past and I want to continue that on a personal basis.â€

Because that's not creepy or anything.

Doesn't that sound completely unrepentant except for having been called on his behavior?

Because that's not creepy or anything.

By that he means "Im so sorry I was caught molesting teenagers, but I like doing it and I will continue"

Bill Gothard did not apologise, he just excused his actions and dismissed them as unimportant. Bill Gothard makes me sick. Dirty old creeper.

"I just have a desire to work with and encourage the young people that I have served in the past and I want to continue that on a personal basis.â€

ick ick ick ick ick!!!! :ew:

Seriously, who CAN'T see right through this statement? Who on this earth would still believe him, much less put their kids in a situation that's anywhere near him?

Archived