IGNORED

Raising Olives kids have whooping cough

tabitha2

I got a whooping cough booster-- I don't want it, ever.

I remember getting a booster in High School only because I got hit in the arm by a soccer ball later in the day in gym class and it hurt like hell. I know I got a tetanus booster at the hospital after a car accident which I'd assume was the DTaP and not just tetanus. That was like 10 years ago so my Doctor gave me a booster a few months ago so I'd be up to date. She also gave me a booster for chicken pox since I've never had it and got the vaccine at 16. But I think I'm the only adult I know , besides my husband who goes to the same dr as me, that's up to date on it.

I'm terrified of getting chicken pox as an adult so I always make sure I'm on top of that one.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One of my cousins can't get certain vaccines due to severe allergies. It pisses me off to no end that these anti-vax parents are putting her at risk for no good reason.

This is what bugs me too! There are people out there who CAN'T get the vaccines because they're allergic to them. That's a GOOD reason to not get them. "But it MAY cause Autism" isn't a good reason. Isn't a child with Autism better than a DEAD CHILD? (I know that vaccines don't cause Autism, but people keep spreading that damn false information and it pisses me off!) :x

This is one of my hot button issues. And one that I'll argue until I'm blue in the face. Just because you don't like shots, or because you read some shoddy research is NOT a reason to put those that CANNOT get the shots at risk! I HATE needles, but I'll gladly get any shot that's needed to protect those who can't get the shots. I got my TDaP (is that right?) last fall because my sister-in-law was pregnant, and I'd have felt AWFUL if I got the babies sick because I'm a wimp!

I remember getting a booster in High School only because I got hit in the arm by a soccer ball later in the day in gym class and it hurt like hell. I know I got a tetanus booster at the hospital after a car accident which I'd assume was the DTaP and not just tetanus. That was like 10 years ago so my Doctor gave me a booster a few months ago so I'd be up to date. She also gave me a booster for chicken pox since I've never had it and got the vaccine at 16. But I think I'm the only adult I know , besides my husband who goes to the same dr as me, that's up to date on it.

I'm terrified of getting chicken pox as an adult so I always make sure I'm on top of that one.

My Dr. won't do the vaccine for chicken pox to adults under 60! Is that normal? I wanted to get one because my Mom had shingles before she was 60, and I know that you're more likely to get shingles if you've had chicken pox, but I couldn't get the vaccine. :(

My Dr. won't do the vaccine for chicken pox to adults under 60! Is that normal? I wanted to get one because my Mom had shingles before she was 60, and I know that you're more likely to get shingles if you've had chicken pox, but I couldn't get the vaccine. :(

Are you sure it's the chicken pox vaccine or is it the shingles vaccine? They are two different vaccines and your doctor might have mixed them up or something. Just asking because it's standard not to give the shingles vaccine to people under 60 unless they have something extra predisposing them to shingles (like, family history of a family member getting it early, or immunosuppressed) so it sounds like that could've been what your doctor thought you wanted... I got the chicken pox vaccine as an adult so I don't see why you shouldn't be able to get that though. Actually, if you never had chicken pox as a kid, I would think it would be wise to get the vaccine as an adult, especially if you're going to be around kids, because chicken pox can be worse as an adult. I don't know why you wouldn't be able to get that one.

(Also, you can ONLY get shingles from chicken pox, it's a late side effect. The shingles vaccine, I think, has more of the virus in it, but if you've never had chicken pox, you'd need the chicken pox vaccine.)

ETA: Just reread your post and I think if you had chicken pox and your mom had shingles early, some doctors would probably consider you an exception for the shingles vaccine - I've heard of people with immune conditions having to fight for it, though (idk why, seems silly... maybe it's not covered by insurance before 60 or something).

Here in the UK we don't routinely vaccinate once you hit 18 if fit and healthy.

But

Tetanus here is a booster every 10 years

Chicken Pox nope nada

Flu jab the immune suspressed. Over 60, diabetics there maybe more in that group but I don't think there is many.

We have seen an increase of mumps and rubella because of the scare years back. I delayed my youngest and the GP was fine with it. He was having loads of abdominal pain and ear infections at the time.

no TB jabs now for the kids unless you are from overseas this has happened in the last 2 years now in my area.

I haven't had the shingles vaccine yet, either, but--is that the normal age, or could you call your local health department or a CVS medicenter type place, if others will give the vaccine earlier than 60?

My husband had shingles before he was 25. It was horrible--and it took them a while to figure it out because they didn'texpect it in a younger person.

I haven't had the shingles vaccine yet, either, but--is that the normal age, or could you call your local health department or a CVS medicenter type place, if others will give the vaccine earlier than 60?

My husband had shingles before he was 25. It was horrible--and it took them a while to figure it out because they didn'texpect it in a younger person.

You can pretty much get the shingles vaccine anytime you want, AFAIK. Walgreens and CVS do it here all the time. It's pretty pricey though and insurance likely won't pay for it unless you're over 60 or have some other risk factor. I had shingles a couple of years ago at 43 and it was pretty awful. I was lucky though and the day it came up I went to the doctor - I thought it was poison ivy which tends to get nasty for me so I wanted a steriod shot ASAP. (It was a Friday afternoon.) The doctor took one look at it and said "that's not poison ivy." Since it was so early I got on Valtrex right away and my case was milder than others I've seen.

One thing I'm not sure about though is if I can get it again? It seems like you'd be able to since it's the flare up of a virus you already have in your system, but then there's a vaccine, so? :think:

DPT vax is something you do have to have re-done. They gave them out for free in my hometown last July after the majority of the town (and county) flooded because of the debris floating around. My mother was extra glad she got it when she had surgery 6 months later and someone on her floor came in with diphtheria and made the nurses panic.

It's terrifying how much more common these things are becoming.

I did not know this! I got all of my vaccines as a child and get a yearly flu shot. I need to talk to my doctor. I do not need any of these diseases on top of my other health problems.

anti vaxxer's is just another religion based man made idea's and people follow it just as faithfully and facts don't matter.

I got shingles in my late 20s. I thought it was infected mosquito bites on my face. Very painful to touch, but thankfully it wasn't on a place my clothing would brush up against. It also spread to my eye which can cause blindness, so I had to see an ophthalmologist for a while there. My understanding is that it can flare up again in the future, sort of like once you have a cold sore, it can flare up again too.

Watch this youtube video to understand why we have to stop allowing people to opt out of vaccinations. I love his last line especially.

You can pretty much get the shingles vaccine anytime you want, AFAIK. Walgreens and CVS do it here all the time. It's pretty pricey though and insurance likely won't pay for it unless you're over 60 or have some other risk factor. I had shingles a couple of years ago at 43 and it was pretty awful. I was lucky though and the day it came up I went to the doctor - I thought it was poison ivy which tends to get nasty for me so I wanted a steriod shot ASAP. (It was a Friday afternoon.) The doctor took one look at it and said "that's not poison ivy." Since it was so early I got on Valtrex right away and my case was milder than others I've seen.

One thing I'm not sure about though is if I can get it again? It seems like you'd be able to since it's the flare up of a virus you already have in your system, but then there's a vaccine, so? :think:

You're correct, if you are willing to pay cash for the shingles or chicken pox vaccine, you can pay out of pocket at Walgreens. I did not have chicken pox as a child and decided to get the vax after my coworker's child came down with chicken pox. They specifically asked me which one I wanted and the price sheet listed both. I believe the chicken pox vax was $150/dose (2 shot series) and the shingles vax was $250. Chicken pox was covered by my insurance (preventative care), but shingles would have been 100% out of pocket as I was not within the age range.

I'm not sure how effective the vax would be if you have already had shingles, but I am pretty certain Walgreens would give you the vax if you were willing to pay 100%.

Click here to see how vaccines cause Autism: http://howdovaccinescauseautism.com/

You had me grumbling until I clicked!

I did read about a recent study that may, I stress MAY, link Tylenol and vaccines. Parents have been told for years to administer Tylenol before or after their babies are vaccinated to help with a possible fever. The study seemed to show a possible link-but only when done together. However, I did both to my kids and none have autism.

I guess I didn't know that the whooping cough vaccine wears off. Should I get another one? Haven't had one since I was a child/baby.

You had me grumbling until I clicked!

I did read about a recent study that may, I stress MAY, link Tylenol and vaccines. Parents have been told for years to administer Tylenol before or after their babies are vaccinated to help with a possible fever. The study seemed to show a possible link-but only when done together. However, I did both to my kids and none have autism.

I guess I didn't know that the whooping cough vaccine wears off. Should I get another one? Haven't had one since I was a child/baby.

Yes, you probably should... even without a whopping cough outbreak, you definitely want the immunity from tetanus! (Can't be spread person-to-person - that's the one you get from things like stepping on a rusty nail.) I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be renewed about every 10 years.

That pisses me off. I REALLY want the shingles vaccine, but can't afford to pay for it. Yeah, I'd say I'm at risk for shingles, because I HAD THE FUCKIN CHICKEN POX.

My friend got shingles in high school. High. School. This Over the age of 60 crap is bogus.

Yes, you probably should... even without a whopping cough outbreak, you definitely want the immunity from tetanus! (Can't be spread person-to-person - that's the one you get from things like stepping on a rusty nail.) I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be renewed about every 10 years.

I have not had a tetanus shot in decades. I am reeeeeally behind! I need to get on these.

Will the shingles shot/vaccine help if I've already had shingles? I had them about ten years ago. Am I more at risk of having shingles again? If the shingles vaccine would help even if I've had them, I wonder if I could get it even though I'm not 60 yet?

Those poor kids!

I didn't realize she didn't vax and my first thought was the one year old might have gotten it b/c the full vax schedule wasn't complete.

I don't get people. My kids are vaxed, I'm vaxed, and my husband is vaxed. It's our job as a community to do what we can to protect everyone. The irresponsible decision she made to not vax her kids could potentially kill an infant that they come into contact with in the community. When will people understand that the decision to not vax doesn't just effect you and your family, but everyone you come into contact with!

Please explain this to anti vaccine morons. They always come up with some lame excuse on why they don't vaccinate. But when their kid gets sick they wanna play the blame game.

That pisses me off. I REALLY want the shingles vaccine, but can't afford to pay for it. Yeah, I'd say I'm at risk for shingles, because I HAD THE FUCKIN CHICKEN POX.

My friend got shingles in high school. High. School. This Over the age of 60 crap is bogus.

I agree. My mom got shingles in her forties. I've had the chicken pox. Shingles...DO. NOT. WANT. Next time I go to my provider, I'll see if I can talk them into giving me the vaccine.

I got the DTaP a few years back when I got a puncture wound and needed a tetanus booster. I was glad it included the pertussis vaccine in it. For me whooping cough would be like a bad cold. But to an infant or to otherwise immunocompromised folks (like both my parents), it could be a death sentence.

can you check w your local health dept? idk if they could help you,but it couldn't hurt to ask.

when you get a tetanus booster is it always the DTaP? I had to get my tetanus booster done a couple years ago, but I didn't really think to ask about any other boosters. I definitely do not want whooping cough. Just a regular cough is incredibly painful for me.

You can get shingles at any age if you've been previously infected with chickenpox. It's the same virus- it just lies dormant in your body until something happens (temporary decrease in immunity usually) that allows it to reactivate. In the olden days (before chickenpox vaccine) adults used to get "boosted" naturally when their children got chickenpox and thus shingles was very much a disease of older people. The vaccine was therefore tested in that age group and approved only for people over 50. With less natural boosting going on due to kids being vaccinated we might start to see more shingles in younger people (say 40-50 instead of over 65). If this happens, they might do another study to lower the age limit or physicians may just start giving it earlier. Although it makes sense to give this vaccine to immunocompromised individuals, we generally don't recommend it because it is a live vaccine and there is a risk of actually making people sick. There are some trials out there looking at this, but it isn't yet approved.

BTW if you've recently had shingles, you have, in effect, just boosted yourself and dont' need to rush to get the vaccine.

when you get a tetanus booster is it always the DTaP? I had to get my tetanus booster done a couple years ago, but I didn't really think to ask about any other boosters. I definitely do not want whooping cough. Just a regular cough is incredibly painful for me.

I'm pretty sure tetanus can be a separate vax. I would ask your provider what they used and if you need the pertussis vax. They may very well have just given you the DTaP or TDaP, but they may not have.

I'll join you in irritation--they tried to not cover my mom (the cancer survivor w/ the supremely compromised immune system who was headed overseas) on the shingles vac but her doc screamed at people until she got it.

But I was 'to old' for the HPV vaccine. And now got a + Pap and have had some issues related to that)

(and, for those in the peanut gallery, let me stand on my soapbox a moment:

I was a virgin when I got married. I married a dude w/ a clean bill of health and very limited sexual experience.

The HPV vaccine wouldn't' have given me 'permission' to be promiscuous any more than the depo I was on pre-marriage made me not-sleep w/ my now husband.

Get your daughters (AND SONS) the damn shot. It doesn't make anyone sleep around and I can't even imagine the horror I'd feel if my child got cervical cancer [through consensual or non-consensual contact] and I could have prevented it)

You can get shingles at any age if you've been previously infected with chickenpox. It's the same virus- it just lies dormant in your body until something happens (temporary decrease in immunity usually) that allows it to reactivate. In the olden days (before chickenpox vaccine) adults used to get "boosted" naturally when their children got chickenpox and thus shingles was very much a disease of older people. The vaccine was therefore tested in that age group and approved only for people over 50. With less natural boosting going on due to kids being vaccinated we might start to see more shingles in younger people (say 40-50 instead of over 65). If this happens, they might do another study to lower the age limit or physicians may just start giving it earlier. Although it makes sense to give this vaccine to immunocompromised individuals, we generally don't recommend it because it is a live vaccine and there is a risk of actually making people sick. There are some trials out there looking at this, but it isn't yet approved.

BTW if you've recently had shingles, you have, in effect, just boosted yourself and dont' need to rush to get the vaccine.

Thank you for this, it's the best explanation I've heard so far. I was lucky in that my case was much milder than some, but I'm not in any hurry to experience it again.

Archived