IGNORED

Fred Phelps: the end?/Fred Phelps- Dead

slh12280

That is so odd. Why on earth would they make a rule that limits the numbers of their group? Shouldn't they be pushing all the members to pop out as many babies (i.e., future members) as possible?

That's not uncommon with cults. For example, Ruby Jessop claimed last year that Warren Jeffs made a similar rule for his flds - no sex between spouses because 'he didn't want any more children born into this fallen world' or something like that. Part of it has to do with the increasing paranoia of the group, and part of it has to do with control, I think. If you can convince people to give up normal human relationships, you can convince them to do anything.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I listened to an interview with Nate Phelps that was recorded about two days ago. It seems that the reason he was excommunicated was that a new group of church 'elders' formed (all men) and decided they didn't like how much power Shirley had. This led to a power struggle between the two groups and when the elders won, they excommunicated Fred Phelps because he thought they were being overly harsh in the aftermath (or something like this). They kicked him out of his home and moved him next door, but continued to care for him until they placed him in the hospice. youtube.com/watch?v=KBAHJZUtMzI - the interview

There won't be a funeral. I read it in a news article.

To be honest I am surprised no one ever shot anyone in this family or anything like that while they were picketing.

I didn't know this part of the story. While it is sad that they would do that, I'm not at all surprised. He should have been jailed for child abuse decades ago, he was a horrific abuser. It wasn't the right thing for them to do, but it's not at all shocking.

I was surprised that he'd been "excommunicated". I kind of wonder how that went down. His daughter Shirley (?) seemed to have soaked up his abrasive, gleefully hateful persona and I wonder if it was a coup on her part.

SOunds like the men were taking over, to keep shirley out.

theblaze.com/stories/2014/03/18/is-this-the-reason-anti-gay-westboro-founder-fred-phelps-was-reportedly-excommunicated/

They believe funerals are worshiping the dead. He will probably be cremated and flushed down the toilet like Hitler. It doesn't matter. They are mostly doing local pickets because they are running low on money. Eventually, they will be a bookmark on history because love wins.

They believe funerals are worshiping the dead. He will probably be cremated and flushed down the toilet like Hitler. It doesn't matter. They are mostly doing local pickets because they are running low on money. Eventually, they will be a bookmark on history because love wins.

Hitler's ashes were flushed down the toilet?

Flushed down the toilet sounds good enough for Fred. That way everyone can shit on his grave without getting arrested for it.

Hitler's ashes were flushed down the toilet?

Flushed down the toilet sounds good enough for Fred. That way everyone can shit on his grave without getting arrested for it.

Having Fred Phelps' ashes get flushed down the toilet...I have one word for that...

symbolism_5839.png

Not sure about Hitler's, but the Nuremburg big wigs - Goering, Hess, etc - their ashes were tossed in the river after they were executed.

#historynerd

George Takei said this today: "I take no solace or joy in this man's passing. We will not dance upon his grave, nor stand vigil at his funeral holding "God Hates Freds" signs, tempting as it may be.

He was a tormented soul, who tormented so many. Hate never wins out in the end. It instead goes always to its lonely, dusty end."

Well said.

To be honest I am surprised no one ever shot anyone in this family or anything like that while they were picketing.

Same here.

I hope to see a day when same sex marriage is legal in all 50 states, and Fred Phelps and the rest of the WBC are a forgotten footnote of history.

I despised Phelps with every fiber of my being. The hatred he and the WBC spewed was truly revolting. However, Phelps and the WBC were so over-the-top, very buffoonish. Keep in mind, there are other people out there who hate gay people and would strip every gay person of his and her rights. Some of them are well-known, like Josh Duggar. And then there are our "favorite" bloggers like Stinking Lousewife, Zu and the PP, Kidist, Sunshine Mary, etc. They may not be as well known as Phelps, but they are still very much around and they are dangerous.

I wish they'd make gay marriage legal in every state and name it "Phelps' Act"

Gay marriage is going to be legal in every state within a decade, I imagine. Let them all scream and fuss, but it will be like Obamacare...once they realize the world did not implode or explode and it just kept on turning, they will move on to something else.

not sure if this has been posted, but there's a video of a russian newsreader who cannot contain her laughter while attempting to announce that phelps has died:

I just finished reading Lauren Drain's memoir about being a part of the WBC "Banished." My mind is totally blown. I'll probably write a review of her book for my blog.

not sure if this has been posted, but there's a video of a russian newsreader who cannot contain her laughter while attempting to announce that phelps has died:

I think that the captions are not what she is actually saying, but it is funny, anyway.

Archived