IGNORED

Fred Phelps: the end?/Fred Phelps- Dead

slh12280

I guess he was tossed out back in June, allegedly when his Alzheimer's started to really take over. They excommunicated him and put him in a house by himself. They checked in on him to make sure he didn't kill himself or accidentally harm himself. He stopped eating and drinking last week, so he went to hospice, where he is now comfortable but comatose.

I almost feel something for ANYONE who is treated like that by his own family. He must have been confused and scared. I guess he gets what he raised his kids to be-thoughtless and hateful creatures-but the fact that they won't even take care of their own is a bit stunning.

Never liked the guy at all, and his church being in the practice of protesting funerals (I mean, really?) really ticked me off yet, I am a bit taken aback that his own family did this to him. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised that the message of hate he preached would have taken hold in his own home, but still I would have thought his own family would have done more for him simply for no other reason that he's their patriarch.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What exactly do you have to do to get excommunicated from the "God Hates Fags Westboro Baptist Church? :wtf:

Maybe he slipped up and said that he really enjoyed watching Liberace.

I think Shirley will change the rules to suit herself. She is clearly the boss of everybody in that family.

I agree with this.

I've spent like 20 minutes today thinking of songs that could be sung by picketers at his funeral.

Currently torn between "Rainbow Connection" and "Somewhere Over The Rainbow".

I've spent like 20 minutes today thinking of songs that could be sung by picketers at his funeral.

"With A Little Help From My Friends"

"Everybody Must Get Stoned"

"Cecelia"

"The Man In the Mirror"

I'm thinking anything by Queen?

"With A Little Help From My Friends"

"Everybody Must Get Stoned"

"Cecelia"

"The Man In the Mirror"

Freddie's Dead.

"Another one bites the dust"

Take a walk on the wild side.

YMCA

Maybe he slipped up and said that he really enjoyed watching Liberace.

Based on Lauren Drain's book, it seems like WBC functions as a clique, and if the Phelps collectively don't like you then you get excommunicated. She mentioned an elderly couple that had been with WBC since the 1950s got excommunicated because they wouldn't clean up their house. Another long-time member was excommunicated for reasons I don't recall, and he tried to get back into the Phelps' favor by doing a one-man picket. However, that ended up making them even angrier, since he was doing unauthorized picketing. Then Lauren was excommunicated because Shirley thought she was being a slut. As I recall, all Lauren was doing was flirting and writing notes, nothing that would be untoward in the regular world.

Bumping because it's been confirmed that Phelps died today.

ksn.com/2014/03/20/founder-of-westboro-baptist-church-rev-fred-phelps-sr-dies/

I will never ever sympathize with the actions or beliefs of the Phelps clan, but if the picketing and the "God hates everything" campaigns are all you know about them, I suggest you read a little about them. Most of the docus I've seen focus solely on their picketing activism, but back in the 60ies and 70ies Fred Phelps was actually a civil rights lawyer.

It is a really strange and twisted mix of civil right activism and support for minorities, religious fanaticism and a family that has a become a law unto themselves.

I hope his funeral goes unnoticed. No one should raise a finger to picket. He should be buried alone...

Fred Phelps created his own hell on Earth by letting his life be consumed by hatred. He had the opportunity to bring goodness to the world and receive goodness in return. Instead, he allowed himself to be corrupted by hate and lies and made the mission of his life to bring hatred and misery to others. I am sure the life he lead was miserable and as hate-filled as any one of his protests.

I don't believe in hell, but that's no matter. To waste such a beautiful thing as a life and to live your life in wallowing hatred is a punishment that rivals all the tongues of fire that Satan could throw at you.

I pity the man for the life he lead. The truest epitaph would be "The world is better for his having passed". How wasteful.

Fred Phelps created his own hell on Earth by letting his life be consumed by hatred. He had the opportunity to bring goodness to the world and receive goodness in return. Instead, he allowed himself to be corrupted by hate and lies and made the mission of his life to bring hatred and misery to others. I am sure the life he lead was miserable and as hate-filled as any one of his protests.

I don't believe in hell, but that's no matter. To waste such a beautiful thing as a life and to live your life in wallowing hatred is a punishment that rivals all the tongues of fire that Satan could throw at you.

I pity the man for the life he lead. The truest epitaph would be "The world is better for his having passed". How wasteful.

Agree. And maybe Mr. Phelps should be held up as an example of what happens to a person when they are completely consumed by hatred to the exclusion of all else. A cautionary tale to us all. Now many of us (using this term generally not just FJ) don't or won't go to the extremes that Mr. Phelps did, but it does serve as a reminder to try and live life as positively as we can, to make as much of a positive impact, and not let the negatives take over us if we can help it or to not be afraid to seek help if it threatens us. We may not totally succeed but better trying than not to.

I personally know people who are totally consumed by hatred of the "other" and while not it's as extreme as Mr. Phelps, they are the most miserable people on earth and furthermore, they are bringers of misery. To their families, to everyone around them. It's not a way to live life. Not at all.

Maybe this is one good thing Mr. Phelps did do, even if it was an unintended consequence. A walking cautionary tale of how not to live your life.

I picture an army of the campest (campiest?) guys you've ever seen marching down the street:

PHQLQ1Rc_Js

(Not how I actually feel about the death, but it's from the Wizard of freakin' Oz, guys - couldn't resist)

I hope his funeral goes unnoticed. No one should raise a finger to picket. He should be buried alone...

then after the right amount of time everyone should pee on his grave. that will help decontaminate the ground. I bet they have him cremated they don't seem to care about their dead.

I wonder if they will have him cremated and either not buried or buried in a unmarked place to avoid vandalism or visitors who might want to um, not pay their respects.

I agree-- WBC gets off on negative attention. Suing people who step over the legal line in dealing with them is how they fund their shit. I hope no one is there so they get a taste of just how irrelevant they are to everyone.

Archived