IGNORED

Fred Phelps: the end?/Fred Phelps- Dead

slh12280

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It appears our dear hate monger is on the edge of death. Also, and maybe more shockingly, he was ousted from the church:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... -of-death/

It really will depend on what direction Shirley Phelps Roper takes the cult. She has been the unofficial leader for years, (in part because the official leader must have a penis).

I would say that I doubt his "excommunication" was spiritual as opposed to legal. Half the family (including he and Shirley and several other of his chidren) are attornies and I suspect his excommunication was a way to keep hospice, etc from somehow finacially attaching to the church/home/compound. Since the church member relatives still control who can and cannot visit the man, it strikes me as legal finagling.

I can only hope they scatter to the wind when Phelps the elder dies, but I wouldn't count on it, at least for a while---

On a happier note:.washingtonpost.com/blogs/she-the-people/wp/2013/03/21/rainbow-house-fights-westboro-baptist-with-love/

If anything, Shirley is crazier. Maybe a whole bunch of people will leave once he dies and it will basically just be her and a couple of others left, but there's no way she's disbanding it.

Guess I better get pricing for roundtrip air to Topeka. Would love to picket his funeral.

Wow, another fundie group losing their leader.

If I wasn't an atheist, I would think that God is trying to teach them a lesson about hating in his name

Guess I better get pricing for roundtrip air to Topeka. Would love to picket his funeral.

I will settle for dancing on his grave.

Were ever they bury him the earth will be poisoned and if anything grows it will be nasty. The best thing is have him cremated give his ashes to a toilet bowl maker and they can make him into something useful for. Once

Were ever they bury him the earth will be poisoned and if anything grows it will be nasty. The best thing is have him cremated give his ashses to

I hope all the funeral homes in Topeka boycott handling his arrangements.

Yeah, frankly I find Shirley and Jael to be a lot more scary and fearsome than old Fred Phelps. Reports (from one of his sons who long ago left the church) seem to say that, even though Fred was "excommunicated" the church members are still blocking estranged family members from seeing Fred. So I am of the opinion that it's like salex said above, probably an excommunication by technicality rather than conviction. Otherwise, they would let him rot in hospice and wash their hands of him.

Shirley Phelps Roper is far, far worse than her father. However, she is missing the fundamental thing that is required for her to maintain control and that is a penis. Without Fred at the helm, even in a nominal manner, there will continue to be those who see the hypocrisy of Shirley in charge of something that her own supposed faith denies her the right to have control of in the first place.

Like so many hate groups, it will eventually fade and die. The family of 13 children and untold grandchildren have seen 20 leave since 2004, and according to that link 2/3 of them are under the age of 30. There is no fourth generation in that family rising up to carry on the name of hate. So, no matter what happens to Fred or Shirley, the family (because it is not really a church) will fade a slow, insignificant death until those who want to be the most hateful will be forced to find other actual IFB churches and the rest will walk away and seek quiet lives.

According to e x-member Lauren Drain, single members of WBC are forbidden from marrying or having children, which means that no further members can be born into this madness.

According to e x-member Lauren Drain, single members of WBC are forbidden from marrying or having children, which means that no further members can be born into this madness.

That is new!

I'm pretty sure Jael got married (to a new church member)? Don't know if they have children, but it doesn't seem out of the cards.

Her Google+ - plus.google.com/100780643915232158661/posts - shows pics of her husband, and one pic of her in her wedding dress. Her new last name is Holroyd apparently.

There was also a thread here about it - http://www.freejinger.org/forums/viewto ... f=8&t=9369

Random blogger here claims that Jael was indeed pregnant last August - betterthanithought.wordpress.com/2013/08/14/my-visit-to-the-westboro-baptist-church/ - no idea if it's true/if baby was born.

Yep, Jael had a baby boy. There's a picture of him on her Twitter at "baby's first picket".

twitter.com/WBCJael/status/435845098954186752/photo/1

There's an interesting article floating around that we should all picket with love, forgiveness, and acceptance. It was a good read.

Not sure if I myself could be that magnanimous -I firmly believe SOME kind of karmic punishment is waiting for him - but more power to them.

patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2014/03/15/fred-phelps-founder-of-the-god-hates-fags-westboro-baptist-church-is-on-the-edge-of-death/

Phelps has picketed so many things in towns where I live in the last 4 decades (funeral in the 80s or 90s for a newspaper publisher in Wichita, various speakers at Universities in KS, the small conservative church my husband's nephew preached at, restaurants throughout topeka, and The Treasures of the Czars traveling art exhibit in Topeka... not to mention funerals for soldiers and others more and more frequently over the last few years.

I hate picketing anyone's funeral, including his. The more attention his funeral gets, the happier his followers will be, and picketing will make them thrilled. I have just about decided that I will be donating to The Patriot Guard to commemorate his death--these are the motorcyclists who often show up when Westboro Baptist is picketing, to help shield mourners from the sound and sight of the protesters. They have been doing it for years, and I respect them. Since Shirley and others still exist, future protests can be expected... so why not support the people who help defend those being attacked.

:auto-sportbike: :auto-dirtbike: :auto-sportbike:

I would like to know why he was excommunicated.

I would not picket his funeral. I think that every grieving family deserves compassion even if they dont show any to the rest of the world.

I would like to know why he was excommunicated.

I would not picket his funeral. I think that every grieving family deserves compassion even if they dont show any to the rest of the world.

I agree, I think the best thing we could do is just ignore his funeral. :gay-rainbowflag::obscene-birdiered:

Usually I agree but they need to feel what they make others feel. Plus I very much doubt there is much of any love in that family.

Phelps has picketed so many things in towns where I live in the last 4 decades (funeral in the 80s or 90s for a newspaper publisher in Wichita, various speakers at Universities in KS, the small conservative church my husband's nephew preached at, restaurants throughout topeka, and The Treasures of the Czars traveling art exhibit in Topeka... not to mention funerals for soldiers and others more and more frequently over the last few years.

I hate picketing anyone's funeral, including his. The more attention his funeral gets, the happier his followers will be, and picketing will make them thrilled. I have just about decided that I will be donating to The Patriot Guard to commemorate his death--these are the motorcyclists who often show up when Westboro Baptist is picketing, to help shield mourners from the sound and sight of the protesters. They have been doing it for years, and I respect them. Since Shirley and others still exist, future protests can be expected... so why not support the people who help defend those being attacked.

:auto-sportbike: :auto-dirtbike: :auto-sportbike:

I love the idea of donating to the patriot guard in his name.

huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/16/fred-phelps-dying-death-westboro-baptist_n_4974584.html

Good luck to ya Mr. Phelps.

The article said he was ex-communicated?

Archived