IGNORED

Revisiting the Chapman's Wedding

debrand

I am going to have nightmares about that poor child sitting on a suitcase every night in a fancy dress waiting for a grown up to come rape her.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/8/2016 at 9:07 AM, Howl said:

That is very interesting.  Do you have a blog link?

http://www.heartunhindered.com/

I've read a few posts. She runs, wears tank tops, and writes about how God is good and not much else. It seems pretty insipid and dull, to me. Too boring to even snark on.

I actually met the Chapmans years ago when Lindvall was doing his betrothal seminars. I was a teen and don't recall much about them except the boat load of kids, which everyone had, and how weird the "waiting for the bridegroom" thing was. Lindvall was all about how "biblical" it all was. A (non fundy) friend of mine asked why the groom didn't give the bride a nose ring like Rebecca got, if they wanted to be so biblical.

Of course, I read Great Expectations about this time and the Miss Havisham parallel was not lost on me.

I really think the common thread in a lot of the really controlling fundie stories is the drive to not be like their dysfunctional family of origin, so they make all these rules to protect themselves and their kids. Many of the parents we associated with were from divorced and/or alcoholic homes and you could practically see their white knuckle grip on their kids.

• 4 months later...

Still debating. Would love to but I'm in a 3 day course this week and have a breastfeeding 2 month old so it's already a challenging week...

The author has a key criteria for belonging  here -- dreaming about a fundie questioning their beliefs. 

The play sounds fascinating. Maranatha was not, the one time I met her. Lots of babies to keep track of. But their courtship was the most godly thing since pentecost.

Oh wow, I'd read the creeptastic story of Maranatha's betrothal and marriage, but I never knew that she was only 15 and Matthew was 28 when it happened. Probably because it wasn't mentioned in their original story-- gee, I wonder why? It's even more disturbing that Matthew was first attracted to her when she was just 13. 13! Some girls haven't even begun puberty yet at 13!

Even if it weren't for the large age difference, I sure wouldn't appreciate some nearly random dude proposing to me without even having the courtship period that some luckier fundies have, being forced into legal marriage and then made to stay apart from my husband until the wedding celebration, and not even getting to plan my own wedding. I'm kind of surprised that poor brainwashed Maranatha was even allowed to make her own dress. 

Then of course history repeated itself with her daughter marrying at 16 to a 26-year-old.

Making an idol of her Chicfilet shake? Yep, the author definitely has read here. Lol. Well , good luck to you, or break a leg, if you prefer. It actually sounds really good. I would like to see this.

26 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

Making an idol of her Chicfilet shake?

Or her Pepsi! Shades of Maxhell!

Damn.....I want to see that! Let's get them to bring it to Chicago.

I have some theater friends who would be interested in this type of production. I wouldn't be surprised if this was put on by a storefront company and I most certainly would be there!

On 9/29/2016 at 2:53 PM, Howl said:

Oh, please PLEASE let this be a musical....

And please let me do the choreography!

ETA: Any of our FJ songwriters want to throw in on this? I know y'all are capable of writing some pretty hilarious songs...

• 4 weeks later...

To the tune of "Mamma Mia":

Daddy said he picked out a husband for me 

So I'd be the wife that he said I should be

Look at me now, in a wedding gown

Better keep sweet, better never frown

Better not flip my lid

Though I am just a kid

Gotta wait till there's a wedding ring

'Cause without it I ain't worth a thing 

I am

Maranatha! Here I go again

Wear the gown and sit here waiting

Maranatha! Though I'm just a kid

I'm a bride, no time for dating

Oh, this is so depressing

Sitting here, always guessing

'Cause Dad's friend will never let me go!

• 2 years later...

Hey gang - full circle moment here. I'm the playwright who wrote the play about Maranatha - it's called The Good Bride and it's getting its third production, this time in Vancouver, Canada at the end of February! http://firehallartscentre.ca/onstage/the-good-bride/

The play was inspired by THIS VERY THREAD when I read it back in 2014. I have a production meeting about the show next week and it's been a couple of years since I did a deep dive into fundie land. I came upon this thread again and saw that some of you had heard about the play!  BTW, the "making an idol" of the Chick-Fil-A shake was TOTALLY inspired by the Pepsi incident. Sadly, it is not a musical - YET ;) 

Archived