IGNORED

Baptist pastor performs in blackface at National Young fundy

doggie

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressiv ... onference/

In an appalling display of insensitivity, ignorance, and bad taste, a Baptist pastor performed in blackface at the National Young Fundamentalist Conference held in Lexington, Kentucky, this week.

Pastor Joseph G. Pickens proudly performed in blackface for cheering young evangelicals during the Christian Youth Conference held at Clay Mills Road Baptist Church in Lexington.

Pastor Pickens paraded around in blackface to the delight of the packed auditorium, pretending to box in a feeble attempt at comedy.

Apparently everyone present at the Christian event was oblivious to the offensive and derogatory nature of the pathetic display.

And apparently for young Christian fundamentalists, nothing says good, clean, Christian fun, like a horrifically racist pantomime.

mtOwIY5S95o

This harkens back to the stories I've heard about how the students at Bob Jones cheered when they heard that Dr King had been assassinated. The founder of the Upstate (SC) Secular Humanists was a student at the time and he witnessed this. That was the start of his journey away from the church. He walked away from BJU. from fundamentalism and eventually the church after seeing such un-Christlike behavior.

What the hell were they thinking?!?! I'm so embarrassed this has happened in my hometown. Good Lord...

I'm not surprised by this at all. I bet blackface performances happen way more often than any of us want to believe.

I'm always shocked at how much blackface still happens! I was at a small college talent show (not a school I attended, but it was a Bible college) and a girl dressed up as a rapper and wore blackface. Only, like, three of us even knew what blackface was and that it was offensive. Everyone else was unaware that it was offensive, mostly because I think they probably didn't even know how or that it was used so commonly and offensively in the past (not that that excuses anything).

But it's not just conservative culture. I mean, I saw something just last Halloween, I think, about a famous actress who did blackface for her costume-- probably out of ignorance. I mean, how does NO ONE associated with these people step in to stop them?! How does NO ONE have the wherewithal to say, "Um... no, man. That's not cool. And here's the reason why..."?!

ETA I'm at work, so I didn't watch the video. So I don't know how it's offensiveness relates to someone stupidly dressing up in blackface for Halloween when they should know better. Apologies if I just connected something stupid, prejudiced and (probably unintentionally) racist to something hateful and very purposefully racist. The point of this post is basically to say, "HOW DO PEOPLE KNOW THIS ISN'T OKAY???"

I'm always shocked at how much blackface still happens! I was at a small college talent show (not a school I attended, but it was a Bible college) and a girl dressed up as a rapper and wore blackface. Only, like, three of us even knew what blackface was and that it was offensive. Everyone else was unaware that it was offensive, mostly because I think they probably didn't even know how or that it was used so commonly and offensively in the past (not that that excuses anything).

But it's not just conservative culture. I mean, I saw something just last Halloween, I think, about a famous actress who did blackface for her costume-- probably out of ignorance. I mean, how does NO ONE associated with these people step in to stop them?! How does NO ONE have the wherewithal to say, "Um... no, man. That's not cool. And here's the reason why..."?!

ETA I'm at work, so I didn't watch the video. So I don't know how it's offensiveness relates to someone stupidly dressing up in blackface for Halloween when they should know better. Apologies if I just connected something stupid, prejudiced and (probably unintentionally) racist to something hateful and very purposefully racist. The point of this post is basically to say, "HOW DO PEOPLE KNOW THIS ISN'T OKAY???"

Exactly. Whatever your personal and political beliefs, how do you not stop to think "Hmm, is this a good idea?" or have at least ONE person in your life who can ask that question for you?

The IFB is heavily Southern, and ministrel shows were part of the culture until recently. Given how isolated these students are, they probably don't even know how offensive blackface is to mainsream people. They probably don't know any black people either. Most fundies consider claims of racism and prejudice on the part of blacks are illegitimate in the first place. They think it's a diversion from more important things like modest dress and abortion.

As a black woman, I'd sure feel welcomed in his church.

/snark.

I'm sure they'd try to make you feel "different" and "better", and "but you're not like them", and all the stuff that people say when they start a sentence with "I'm not racist, but..." in the presence of a POC. And then you'd get rockstar treatment, and would be included in every picture ever, so they can "prove" how diverse they really are! :pull-hair:

Archived