IGNORED

Measles & possible polio outbreaks on rise

Chowder Head

The parents that make little typhoid mary's and hurt others need to see the inside of a jail. Latest study said you can't do anything to change a anti vaxer's mind and if you try it just makes it worse. kind of reminds me of religion.

Interesting and scary.

If anyone is interested in how some of the beginnings of anti-vaccination sentiment started there is a really good book by Paul Offit called "The Cutter Incident: How America's First Polio Vaccine Led to a Growing Vaccine Crisis". In the 1950's when the polio vaccine first came out some of the batches weren't made properly and ended up infecting about 40,000 people with polio, paralyzed 200, and killed 10. The book talks a lot about how that incident really shook people's faith in modern medicine and vaccines. It also talks a lot about the implications of the trials against Cutter, the vaccine manufacturer, and how that impacts modern vaccines. It's a really interesting look in where some of the modern fears originate from.

That's a misleading thread title. It isn't polio, it's a rare disease that's similar to polio. So vaccinating wouldn't do anything to impact that particular disease.

I've personally witnessed lives destroyed by preventable diseases. It makes me so angry when I read those naturalnews.com links full of fear mongering bs that are all over my Facebook newsfeed. :angry-banghead:

Honestly anybody who doesn't vaccinate their children against polio needs to spend a day with somebody who has post polio syndrome.

I didn't realize measles could have surprise complications years later, until I read an article I found on Facebook this week (via a pro-vax website) - http://www.vaccinestoday.eu/vaccines/ho ... ge-a-life/ . I knew about post-polio syndrome and shingles, but this was a new one for me. My sister is into crunchy medicine, so my nephew is unvaxxed for the most part although that may have changed with their recent trip to India, and this kind of thing makes me nervous.

Honestly anybody who doesn't vaccinate their children against polio needs to spend a day with somebody who has post polio syndrome.

Again, misleading title. The disease they are talking about is NOT polio. I know it shouldn't matter but this how wild rumors start and the nect thing you know it will be a "fact" spread by millions on Facebook that polio is rampant in Sacramento.

I thought polio was one of those diseases they didn't even vaccinate anymore because it was no longer a problem? Or am I thinking of something else? Smallpox? I know there's a vaccine we no longer get...

And if its not even polio I guess it's a moot point.

While the illness on the West Coast is not polio, I think there is a real chance that a polio outbreak could occur in the US. Polio has not been eradicated in Nigeria or Pakistan. All it takes is one international traveller to bring the virus to the US. Vaccination rates are particular low on the West Coast. I heard a podcast on NPR a couple of months ago that said that at a high-income school district in California (I don't remember the name, sorry) only 25 percent of the kids were vaccinated. :pink-shock:

It is also very dangerous for pregnant women to be exposed to measles, mumps, rubella, chickenpox, etc. The actress Gene Tierney contracted rubella while pregnant in 1943 from an infected fan who snuck away from her sickbed to attend a meet and greet. Tierney's daughter was born prematurely, as well as being deaf, blind, and severely intellectually disabled. These kinds of tragedies are completely avoidable today, but I fear that they will become more common in today's anti-vaxx environment.

I thought polio was one of those diseases they didn't even vaccinate anymore because it was no longer a problem? Or am I thinking of something else? Smallpox? I know there's a vaccine we no longer get...

And if its not even polio I guess it's a moot point.

All children are still vaccinated for polio if their parents are not on the anti-vaccine crazy train. We no longer routinely vaccinate for smallpox.

All children are still vaccinated for polio if their parents are not on the anti-vaccine crazy train. We no longer routinely vaccinate for smallpox.

Smallpox is the only disease that has been completely eradicated. A vial of the smallpox virus is kept under lock and key at the CDC in Atlanta. Polio is almost eradicated, but not yet. Polio outbreaks still occur in Islamic areas like Nigeria and Pakistan because there is an urban legend that the polio vaccine is a trick designed by the Americans to make Muslims infertile. It also doesn't help that the US really did use an vaccination campaign in Pakistan as a cover to find out where Osama bin Ladin was.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. People who don't vaccinate are opening themselves up to a HELL of a lawsuit.

If my kid got a horrible disease because some idiot chose not to vaccinate (and my kids were too young) I'd sue them for everything they had. Then once the family recovered from my lawsuit I'd sue them again. My wrath would have no bounds.

In 2012 there was a measles outbreak after the Superbowl. Out of 14 people who came down with the disease, 13 of them were from families where they chose not to vaccinate.

pbs.org/newshour/rundown/measles-outbreak-in-indiana/

I thought this article from Slate was enlightening. As a child, this woman received no vaccinations, but ate all organic food, homegrown produce, was breastfed exclusively for a year, got lots of exercise, etc. She ended up contracting pretty much every vaccine-preventable illness except polio.

slate.com/articles/life/family/2014/01/growing_up_unvaccinated_a_healthy_lifestyle_couldn_t_prevent_many_childhood.html

Thanks for clarifying; smallpox and polio are the same color, so I'm constantly getting them confused (I'm synesthetic, I see letters, numbers and words in color.)

Polio is a HORRIBLE disease.

One of my bosses once told me that if she knew what she now knew about vaccines, she'd never have vaxed her children. I was like, thank God you didn't know so your kids could get vaxed! Her oldest kid was 12, so even though she stopped vaccinating after that, they'd have still had most of their bases covered. I think the only vaccine I got after 12 was Hep B, so they wouldn't be protected from that, but at least they'd never get polio. (gardasil was still very new at that time, and optional.)

Thanks for clarifying; smallpox and polio are the same color, so I'm constantly getting them confused (I'm synesthetic, I see letters, numbers and words in color.)

Hmm, I'm not so synesthesiatic as to notice the colors most of the time, but once it's in my mind I can easily see the colors in many letters and words.

For me, though, 'smallpox' is mostly yellow (the 'small' is a mustardy yellow, while the 'pox' is red) and polio is almost the inverse, with most of the word being dark red and only the 'i' is yellow...

If my kid got a horrible disease because some idiot chose not to vaccinate (and my kids were too young) I'd sue them for everything they had. Then once the family recovered from my lawsuit I'd sue them again. My wrath would have no bounds.

Same here & I don't have kids!! I hated every shot I got. But I am so grateful for them cause I was able to avoid so many diseases.

Polio is a HORRIBLE disease.

Amen. My grandmother contracted polio at age 19(while she was pregnant with my mom)and she's only been gone since 2001.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. People who don't vaccinate are opening themselves up to a HELL of a lawsuit.

Well how would that work? It's not illegal to not vaccinate, so how are you going to sue someone for having an unvaccinated kid? Presumably you would also have had to put your child in close enough contact to get ill from this unvaccinated child ( or adult) . Legally wouldn't the responsibility be on you, the parent, to keep your child away from the general public until they had their vaccinations? Or at least far enough away to not be sharing breathing space, being coughed on, touched, etc.?

I vaccinated my kids, but seriously, a lawsuit because someone else made a perfectly legal choice? That's ridiculous.

So we shouldn't send our kids to preschool then? Common vaccinations continue till age 6 according to the CDC.

Also, someone doesn't have to intend to cause you harm to cause you grievous bodily harm.

ETA: Parents who don't vaccinate know that their kid could contract a deadly disease and pass it along. They willingly take a risk for other peoples children. These are diseases that could kill a child and bankrupt a family. Yes, I think you could sue successfully.

So we shouldn't send our kids to preschool then? Common vaccinations continue till age 6 according to the CDC.

Also, someone doesn't have to intend to cause you harm to cause you grievous bodily harm.

I think it would be your responsibility as the parent to find out your child's pre-school vaccination policy. If they allow kids who aren't vaccinated and you send your kid to school there you are taking the risk of possible exposure.

Not to mention that some kids/adults can't get vaccinated for various reasons, and the vaccines don't take on everyone ( my daughter had to be re-vaccinated for certain diseases because when they tested her blood levels for a health care position she showed up with no immunity to those diseases, despite having had all her vaccines, and a booster for that particular set just a couple of years previously).

Would you sue the people who exposed your kid in those situations?

( although presumably your child would have what ever vaccines the other kids don't, so don't get what the risk from same age kids would be) .

The article title is misleading. It's not polio, but a different illness. It's eradicated in all but a couple countries in the world, and if it was going on again in the US, it would be extremely major news. My best friend's granddad has post-polio, and is still against the shot now because there is no polio in the US now. What he backs, and I think is reasonable, is requiring people traveling to those two countries, or from those two countries, to get the shot.

Misleading titles are going to make people ignore the titles that are accurate.

Not everyone CAN get certain vaccines, and some people are nonresponders (and may not even know that they are). This is why it is always best to keep newborns and young infants who have not yet had all their major vaccines at home or away from large groups of people. You cannot control other people's actions, but you can certainly control your own. Of course you cannot raise your child in a bubble, but you can absolutely minimize the risk.

Archived