IGNORED

Money Saving Mom (Crystal Paine) on the move

Oh, he's one of Phill Kline's acolytes---that is not a good sign.

Terrible. Paine botched too many cases and got kicked to traffic court. With coworkers describing him as timid. I'm glad they only had 3 kids.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And then they've moved into their rental house sight unseen (although it turned out okay)- but really- you couldn't afford a house hunting trip? I wonder if they sold the house in Kansas to get capital for the business. Very odd.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw on Moneysavingmom IG the other night that they were hanging out with Jon Acuff et al. I know Acuff left Dave Ramsey's employ last fall. I wonder if the Paine's and Acuffs are jointly trying some business venture? Would be interesting if Acuff left on bad terms with DR (in spite of protests to the contrary, something seems fishy) because the Paine's practically worship the group DR walks on. hmmm..............

• 2 weeks later...

New Post on why they moved: moneysavingmom.com/2014/05/im-happy-back-moved-nashville.html

According to her, Everyone in the family needed a big change. Mr. MSM wanted to peruse ventures outside of his law firm that he was unable to due to said practice. He also wanted to be more apart of the MSM empire and because her work load is great, they hired a management team to handle the majority of her workload. (I've noticed she also has a 'road manager' is it just me, or does this lady need alot of people to run HER business?)

I'm no stranger to Mrs. Paine. I've read her as far as her livejournal days, pre biblicalwomanhood. Ive been intrigued by the vast amount of growing and changing she's done over the years.

Thoughts?

Saw on Moneysavingmom IG the other night that they were hanging out with Jon Acuff et al. I know Acuff left Dave Ramsey's employ last fall. I wonder if the Paine's and Acuffs are jointly trying some business venture? Would be interesting if Acuff left on bad terms with DR (in spite of protests to the contrary, something seems fishy) because the Paine's practically worship the group DR walks on. hmmm..............

The Wartburg Watch put up a post yesterday (thewartburgwatch.com/2014/05/30/dave-ramsey-and-russell-moore-trying-to-silence-the-lambs/) on Dave Ramsey's abusive & vindictive treatment of employees and former employees. I immediately thought of the Paines because they have seemed to worship the ground Ramsey walks upon and because Ramsey is based in Nashville.

The WW also links to an article from the Daily Beast (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... -hunt.html). Here's a "money quote" [get it? MONEY quote? :lol: ]:

Dave Ramsey makes millions telling you how to keep your financial house in order, but lately his employees claim he’s been having a bit of trouble with his own.

According to interviews with nearly two dozen current and former employees of his Nashville-based Lampo Group, Ramsey has engaged in what they describe as an increasingly paranoid campaign to identify and silence several critics—mostly former employees—who have appeared on Facebook and Twitter. Bizarre episodes allegedly involving online spying, gag orders, random firings, and offers of large cash bounties for information have created a climate of fear inside the Lampo headquarters, intensifying a discomfort many employees have felt the past several years with Ramsey’s management.

New Post on why they moved: moneysavingmom.com/2014/05/im-happy-back-moved-nashville.html

According to her, Everyone in the family needed a big change. Mr. MSM wanted to peruse ventures outside of his law firm that he was unable to due to said practice. He also wanted to be more apart of the MSM empire and because her work load is great, they hired a management team to handle the majority of her workload. (I've noticed she also has a 'road manager' is it just me, or does this lady need alot of people to run HER business?)

I'm no stranger to Mrs. Paine. I've read her as far as her livejournal days, pre biblicalwomanhood. Ive been intrigued by the vast amount of growing and changing she's done over the years.

Thoughts?

YES! I've noticed that she has layers of people around her to run that blog. A management team? A road team including a road manager? And Jesse's now the supreme manager? What's up with that? Maybe she's doing her part to provide jobs in the economy. She needs to get a better, more entertaining sidekick for her podcasts though. (Think diversity Crystal)

I just think he got tired of practicing law because it is work, you have to deal with non-homeschooled, non-religious people all the time, and judges and their staff yell at you in a mean way if you don't meet deadlines or sometimes just because they want to. It's hard work. It's more fun to hang around Crystal and putter around being a "motivational coach".

Jon Acuff (I believe it's the same person) wrote a book I'm reading now called "Start" which is pretty good. It's not the usual thing I read but it's okay. Dave Ramsay sometimes has decent advice but talk about a cult of personality. I sure didn't know Acuff and Ramsay had any connection. The things you learn on Free Jinger....

OH and I'm still wondering if there wasn't a family dust-up somewhere in the Paine decision to move....but who can provide this information? I'm still shocked they left Kansas.

• 1 month later...

Crystal's blog has improved since the Tenn. move. But, it's still not clear to me what Jesse's role in the blog is. I think being the supreme leader of the blog translates into sitting around the house. It seems like they've made lots of friends in the area, as she mentions their frequent socializing. They have been on a couple of trips. One of her uptight readers went nuts when Crystal showed a photograph of her drinking coffee from Starbucks and I thought Crystal handled it gracefully. She also mentioned that she gets a generous per diem food budget from these conferences and she bought the coffee at an airport. Blogging must really pay off.

I used to like Crystal's blog better when she wrote posts, instead of mostly posting the deals she's found. Do people really need to use her site for this info - I thought there were apps for that?

At any rate, I'm glad she's become more fundie-lite. She seems very happy with her life right now.

Hopefully she is enjoying living away from all her clan.

Maybe they will decide to let the kids attend a school.

Do people really need to use her site for this info - I thought there were apps for that?

I use some similar ones, because I find them easier to navigate than apps I have tried and a couple of them seem to cater to my demographic really well. I gave up on Crystals though, because there was too much cheap junk and too much religion/terrible homeschooling resources.

I use some similar ones, because I find them easier to navigate than apps I have tried and a couple of them seem to cater to my demographic really well. I gave up on Crystals though, because there was too much cheap junk and too much religion/terrible homeschooling resources.

Thanks. I don't really use apps but remember seeing references to ones like that in magazines. Some apps seem unnecessarily complicated so it makes sense that there are still sites like hers.

Thanks. I don't really use apps but remember seeing references to ones like that in magazines. Some apps seem unnecessarily complicated so it makes sense that there are still sites like hers.

Ya'll have to remember that when she started MSM there weren't apps and the like. Hers was one of the first couponing blogs I ever found and followed back in my pre-kids couponing days (before everyone and their cousin wanted to be an "Extreme Couponer"). It was only after I had been following her blog for a while that I found out that we both came from the same fundy, ATI background. I am still subscribed to her blog in my feeds, but usually just end up marking everything as read and rarely actually read any of her posts, so while I know she has loosened up on her formerly fundy ways, I actually have not followed closely enough to know just how much loosening up she's done.

Her blog is different from the old BW blog. I enjoy her posts, but the links to the deals get out of hand.

I find it's more of what she doesn't say that is interesting. I can't figure out what her husband is doing.

• 1 month later...

We now know why she outsourced the cooking/grocery shopping posts to her sister...

moneysavingmom.com/2014/10/ready-48-hour-giveaway-3-month-meal-fit-silver-package-5-winners.html

I find it's more of what she doesn't say that is interesting. I can't figure out what her husband is doing.

Nor can she, by the sound o it. I suspect he likes living off of Crystal's blog money. He never sounded like he was overly ambitious or hard working to begin with.

We now know why she outsourced the cooking/grocery shopping posts to her sister...

moneysavingmom.com/2014/10/ready-48-hour-giveaway-3-month-meal-fit-silver-package-5-winners.html

I wondered about that! To be honest, I never thought they ate that great. She liked to brag about her $15 a week grocery budget, but Jesse always looked so sickly. I think he finally put an end to that nonsense, and wised up that protein can be a good thing.

Her sister now gets to be the cheapskate food Nazi. And I think they eat pretty lean also.

Are you listening, Dna?

Nor can she, by the sound o it. I suspect he likes living off of Crystal's blog money. He never sounded like he was overly ambitious or hard working to begin with.

Yeah, I still don't have a clue what he's up to career wise, and you know it's got to be driving her crazy. I think she rather liked shipping him off to work all day.

All I can tell is that he's working out a lot and revising their family diet. They are partying with their friends, fundie-style, and they've gotten away from their interfering in-laws. Oh, and he's always around to lend Crystal advise about her priorities and her scheduling, etc. Gag. (moneysavingmom.com/2014/10/12-goals-2014-septembers-update-recent-struggles-goal-setting.html (I broke the link just to be on the safe side, probably doesn't matter much)

I think she's in a much better place to advise him that vice-versa. Let's see if there's any passive-aggressive fall out from their new bloggy life style (mysterious illness, stress, etc) from having to deal with a slacker husband.

Still haven't figured out what they did with their house back in Kansas either. (rent? sell? )

[Edited by hoipolloi to remove the dreaded DOT]

• 4 weeks later...

She has a blog post about being late to the airport. I just thought it was interesting because she was late because she did not plan

for Nashville rush hour traffic-- she thought that rush hour started around 7:30 a.m. I guess if you are fundie, and have never had to

actually get up and go to a job, you really don't understand how rush hour works.

She also wrote another blog post about how much she hated this move, although she says she's doing better now.

This move was all about Jesse , and I still can't figure out what he's up to.

for Nashville rush hour traffic-- she thought that rush hour started around 7:30 a.m. I guess if you are fundie, and have never had to

actually get up and go to a job, you really don't understand how rush hour works.

Depending on where they lived in Wichita (it was Wichita, wasn't it?) they may not have had much rush hour to contend with, compared to a city like Nashville.

This is all super interesting to me. I used to read MSM years ago (2010?) and really loved it for coupons and ideas.

But the blog is AWFUL lately. I'm all for having control over your family's financial situation, but some of this sht is just ridiculous. I don't think it's wrong for a blogger to have links to products that they get a kickback from, but nobody needs an entire wardrobe of $4 tshirts and maxi skirts made by child laborers. Yeah, maybe if you work at home you can get away with owning 5 shirts and 2 skirts or whatever she mixes and matches with, but how many people really want to go in to an office every day wearing the SAME THING? Every day? And if one more cheapass blog mom starts to give all of these tips about how fun and easy it is to make the outfit look TOTALLY DIFFERENT by throwing on a bland cardigan and a pair of tights...

I only found FJ recently so I had no idea her backstory. I always knew she was Christian because of the books she recommended, the homeschooling etc., but I didn't realize her and her husband actually "courted" and played the whole fundie Game of Life. Now I'm pretty curious what's going on in their life to make them move. No guess on why it's Nashville, but as for Jesse leaving his job, my guess is that he's always hated it and that it's always been hard and stressful and now they just have tons of money saved up and can afford to take off and do something the enjoy more. No shame in that, but I think she'd purposefully not tell her readers if that was the case.

She has a blog post about being late to the airport. I just thought it was interesting because she was late because she did not plan

She also wrote another blog post about how much she hated this move, although she says she's doing better now.

This move was all about Jesse , and I still can't figure out what he's up to.

To be fair, I've been working hard for nearly 30 years now (I'm a musician), but since rehearsals generally start at 10 AM, rush hour is not part of my life. When I have to go downtown earlier than usual, I'm always surprised at how much traffic there is.

• 4 weeks later...

I hoped with the move that the blog would be more interesting, but it's still the same "Cents of Style" type links everywhere that she gets a kickback on.

Also, It appears that they are going to start peddling more merchandise directly from the site. She has a journal she's selling and some type of teaser about all the MSM items they are going to start selling.

I and others have commented on this before, she always has a "team" with her. I think she takes ten people with her when she travels to speak at one of these fundie lifestyle conferences. I guess one of them holds her notes, one holds her infinity scarf, etc. She had a recent photograph of her around a conference table with her "team" regarding her merchandising launch. Again, like 10-12 people sitting there. I'm exaggerating, but only slightly.

And just for the record, I find Crystal really interesting. Frustrating but interesting. I don't mean to just criticize her, but she veers off into the ridiculous. Apparently she's laughing all the way to the bank though (Actually, I doubt she's laughing. She seems fairly humorless).

And thank goodness Jesse took over their meal planning. You could tell Crystal hated relinquishing that aspect of their lives as she prided herself on feeding the 5 of them for $10 a week or whatever.

Jesse looks so much better since they moved and he started that high protein diet.

He's away from his in-laws, not working, fooling around with lifestyle coaching, doing the Cross Fit thing, eating protein!, and setting goals for Crystal.

Sounds like a recipe for satisfaction.....

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed that virtually all of Crystal's posts since Thanksgiving are links to shopping deals that she gets a kickback on.

That's interesting to me---she used to be very righteous about not doing Santa Claus with her children. She's only had a Christmas tree for

a few years now. She used to never have one, but she got one and posted about it a while back. She observed Christmas only as an adult religious holiday in a Very Serious Manner. She's just so humorless and bland, I guess Christmas was beyond the realm of possibility for someone like her

But holy canoli, she sure likes pushing those links so other people can spend money on their kids and she can get a kick-back on it.

I think shit went down with Acuff and Dave Ramsey. I have followed Jon Acuff since Stuff Christians Like. I think Acuff seems like a decent person and I remember back when he joined Dave Ramsey's company, he praised Ramsey quite a bit. . For awhile, he traveled to speaking events with Ramsey. I remember Acuff's depature was sudden and people were wondering what went on. If shit went down, Ramsey probably knows best to keep quiet because Acuff has some loyal fans.

Archived