IGNORED

Money Saving Mom (Crystal Paine) on the move

She never mentions Dave Ramsey anymore. She used to talk about him all the time, and do give-aways of his products. I think she even spoke at one of his events. But lately....nothing.

I've got one of Jon Acuff's book. I rather like it. I don't know much about him but the book is okay.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
She never mentions Dave Ramsey anymore. She used to talk about him all the time, and do give-aways of his products. I think she even spoke at one of his events. But lately....nothing.

I've got one of Jon Acuff's book. I rather like it. I don't know much about him but the book is okay.

I'm thinking maybe something went down with Ramsey and Crystal or maybe she found out stuff that she didn't like and her hanging out with Jon Acuff could have been part of that reason. I've read Stuff Christians Like, which is pretty dead on certain religious communities and people. I haven't read any of Acuff's other books. I want to read Quitter and Start. Acuff also wrote a book about his relationship with Dave Ramsey and what he learned from Dave.

I think another reason Crystal isn't mentioning Ramsey anymore is because she is probably hoping to enter the book business or increased her speaking gigs more.

She's become good friends with Tam Hodge, and she promoted Tam Hodge's book on her website.

Tam's husband is the pastor of the CrossPointe non-denom church in Franklin, TN.

I don't know anything about the church, but I am beginning to wonder if Nashville/Franklin is replacing

Colorado Springs as the headquarters of fundie light/fundieness.

Tam apparently has a very different background than Crystal---she has a Past.

I don't know anything about the church, but I am beginning to wonder if Nashville/Franklin is replacing Colorado Springs as the headquarters of fundie light/fundieness.

Welp, let's do an informal headship count:

Botkins: Benjamin & Isaac are still in TN although Geoff may have relocated to the Atlanta area, according to his Linked-In profile: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/geoffrey-botkin/25/942/59b

Pearls: longtime TN residents, outside of Nashville in or near

Justin Turley & father Kevin (former VF sycophant): in or near Franklin Springs which is or was headquarters for Franklin Springs Media who have put out stuff by VF & VF sycophants.

As an interesting aside, though he's obviously not in TN, Bradrick!'s Linked-In profile omits any mention of VF or NCFIC: http://www.linkedin.com/in/peterbradrick

FYI on Linked-In: Linked-In has recently updated its user settings so that you can cruise the site & do searches anonymously. The catch is that if you choose to be anonymous, you won't get information or stats on your own profile. In order to research some of the above, I have thus taken one for the FJ team & gone ANON on Linked-In. You're welcome.

Geoff Botkin is not allowed to move here.

I think the family Olivia from Fresh Modesty moved to Franklin to be near the Botkins. How interesting....

ETA: I am only 3 connections removed from Geoff Botkin :ew:

I looked up Cross Pointe church. It was started about 11 years ago and has grown tremendously. They have

satellite campuses. It reminded me of Mars Hill and Mark Driscoll a little bit, in the structure of the church

but I did notice that CrossPointe has a female "general executive". Interesting. Maybe someone from the

Nashville area knows more about it.

Jesse is listed with the TN Supreme Court as being licensed to practice law in TN. Interesting...

I don't think I've heard anyone label themselves "Visionary" on Twitter. I'll admit, I'm intrigued by this guy.

• 2 weeks later...

Crystal has a new post up stating "Why we are keeping Christmas really simple this year" with a photo of a small pink tree

with some sad gifts underneath it. Truly, the answer is because she is a cheapskate and it goes against her grain to buy

any new clothes or toys. The second answer is that she is too busy meeting with her 10 managers to help her decide what the blog should focus on next year.

Crystal has a new post up stating "Why we are keeping Christmas really simple this year" with a photo of a small pink tree

with some sad gifts underneath it. Truly, the answer is because she is a cheapskate and it goes against her grain to buy

any new clothes or toys. The second answer is that she is too busy meeting with her 10 managers to help her decide what the blog should focus on next year.

The picture on that post really is sad.

You know you can have a simple Christmas without it being miserable, right? Because hers sounds rather miserable.

Sometimes I think fundies don't celebrate Christmas because it takes away from the worship of all

things patriarchy. They don't want the focus off their husbands.

Just one of the many things that fundies surprise me about---their refusal to have anything more than a tacit appreciation

of Christmas.

And Crystal is too cheap to be generous with Christmas gifts for her children. I wonder if she's wrapped up a bunch of

stuff from Goodwill?

Those presents look like underwear and socks to me.

You can keep Christmas simple, and joyous and

wonderful----and not make it miserable. She sure posted those shopping links on Black Friday so everyone else would get

their shopping on and ding it back to her.

Sometimes I think fundies don't celebrate Christmas because it takes away from the worship of all

things patriarchy. They don't want the focus off their husbands.

Just one of the many things that fundies surprise me about---their refusal to have anything more than a tacit appreciation

of Christmas.

And Crystal is too cheap to be generous with Christmas gifts for her children. I wonder if she's wrapped up a bunch of

stuff from Goodwill?

Those presents look like underwear and socks to me.

You can keep Christmas simple, and joyous and

wonderful----and not make it miserable. She sure posted those shopping links on Black Friday so everyone else would get

their shopping on and ding it back to her.

I keep thinking about her post, and it's triggering memories of all the horrible Christmases I had growing up. Large families, no money, narcissistic mother... :cry:

If some people don't want to have a Christmas with brand new gifts, that is ok. But at the same time, I do get sad for kids that don't at least get one new item as a gift. I have a cousin who is frugal in many ways. But when it comes to holidays and birthdays, she is very generous with her husbands, kids, and relatives. My cousin's motto is that, "You don't always have to be frugal 24/7.

I almost wish there weren't a photo. Then scaling back Christmas would have seemed minimalist and cozy, maybe even smart. But that photo...

I almost wish there weren't a photo. Then scaling back Christmas would have seemed minimalist and cozy, maybe even smart. But that photo...

I know! Hey, I'm all for keeping life simple and enjoyable. But that tree is just so pitiful.....Some of her readers have jokingly chastisted her for it, and she's fairly defensive. Says the kids love it.

But it's in such stark contrast to all the Christmas shopping she has been promoting with her kick back links.

I had the idea that maybe it's a passive-aggressive way for her to get back at Jesse for making her move to Tennessee against her

wishes.

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing at all wrong with simplifying the holidays IF you're doing so to keep the spirit of Christmas or want to cut back on the commercial aspect, but her reasons for doing this were all about her - making HER life easier, giving HER more downtime with a side effect or more time with kids.

And yes, Christmas cards are a major pain but I do it because sending holiday cheer - especially to people I don't see often - is worth a few minutes each day. I'd think this would be even more true for somone who values family as much as she claims to... plus, how easy would it be to take some pics of her kids and make a postcard-type card? Don't even need to sign your name.

Eh, maybe I"m just hating on her because it's my first day back to work after a week off. I could see how the kids would like the tree, though.

She's mentioned in blog posts of yesteryear something to the effect that she doesn't really celebrate Christmas. The Christmas tree itself

is a new thing. She used to never have one. Forget about Santa. They seem to find Santa offensive. She probably grew up with Christmas meaning dear old Dad gave a 3 hour sermon for home church. But she's not opposed to turning a buck on the holiday off everyone else. That's what I find laughable and not in a good way.

But her blog post today was really interesting. She mentions Jesse having an identify crisis over the summer. I think that's the first time she's ever said anything somewhat negative about him. I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's installment of his existential crisis! She's getting him back for making her move to Tennessee.

But her blog post today was really interesting. She mentions Jesse having an identify crisis over the summer. I think that's the first time she's ever said anything somewhat negative about him. I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's installment of his existential crisis! She's getting him back for making her move to Tennessee.

Thanks for posting this - don't usually read her blog because it's so full of the sales shite.

Sounds like the move did not turn out to be the magical life-improver Jesse thought it would be:

Jesse had a sort of identity crisis that started in June and lasted well into August. It was a hard, hard, hard few months for him — and for us all. I’m positive our kids have never seen Mom and Dad struggle and argue so much.

I had expected this might happen, but I was completely unprepared for how difficult it would be for me. I didn’t know whether I was supposed to be the sweet, loving, listening, and empathetic wife or whether he needed some hard, strong truth to be spoken to him.

He struggled to figure out who he was apart from his job. He realized that he’d always defined his value and worth by what he did (stressful positions as an attorney/running his own law firm) instead of who he was as a person.

Re: bolded. Interesting too that Crystal almost seems to mock the SAHM, submissive wife schtick that got her into the blogging stratosphere via the defunct Biblical Womanhood.

Crystal posted a big "secret" she's been keeping. She's going to South Africa for a poverty? factfinding? missional? but not a fund

raising trip.

I hope she accomplishes good things, but it sort of reminds me of McMama.

I imagine it might also be an adoption trip.

Side note: I love that her site has ads for colleges. lol She has come a long way.

hmmmmmm.....that would be interesting. It's quite the rage in fundie light circles to adopt children from Africa.

(it's happening all over our city, and while it's a good thing, it makes me wonder if it's their newest trend...but hopefully it's done out of heartfelt concern for these children)

Unlike MckMama, Crystal doesn't do just poverty tourism. She and her husband funded some programs in the

DR with some programs they were involved in.

Oh well, she's getting away from Jesse for a while and doing things independently.

I noticed that in preparing for South Africa, she was actually reading some books with substance. 99% of what she reads are fluffy devotionals. I do wonder what sort of education the kids are actually getting.

She mentioned that Jesse has taken over the homeschooling and that he is doing well with it, whatever that means. Even though Crystal

was homeschooled, and she's all about the homeschooling, I never got that she was really into it. She's got her own things going on.

Now that Jesse doesn't work, he should take over the homeschooling. As I recall, he's got a college degree and a law degree from brick

and mortar institutions. (and evil public colleges to boot)

Although I wish they would let those kids attend some type of school--they seem like they would really thrive in a school setting

instead of just hanging around the Paynes all day.

Archived